AMD Ryzen Die Shot and Caches Shown at ISSCC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As the launch of AMD Ryzen is getting closer, more and more details start to appear. We know most specs, clock-frequencies and even pricing. HoweverÂ*AMD shared some more details about the microarchit...

AMD Ryzen Die Shot and Caches Shown at ICC

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Now all we need is a Guru3D review with no stones left unturned.

3. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Yes... Hilbert. Turn every stone please. :p

4. Tuukka

Tuukka Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 OC 2 GB
    Couple more weeks and then we have answers

5. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    "Design for reuse", they will quit the lv3 cache on APUs xD but if they performs well :3

6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    So what do you guys make of those die-shots? I have no idea what I am looking at but I know some people can tell alot just looking at pics! Is this going to be a good cpu and mostly will it compete with intel in gaming benchmarks?

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well keep in mind there are millions (maybe billions) of transistors, so even the best electrical engineers can't REALLY tell what they're looking at.

But what I can tell personally is it looks very "messy" compared to dies of other CPUs. Most dies seem to have very clean and consistent patterns, where they almost look like farm fields from above. But this seems to have a lot of unevenly sized chunks that are scattered all over the place, except for the L3 cache - that seems pretty clean. The messy-ness doesn't mean that's a bad thing though. The components could be organized in a very specific and deliberate way that maximizes efficiency.

8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    I guess you have a point lol? I cannot tell anything looking at die shots from either camp and I even tried to keep-up with people talking about it ( clueless) haha. I guess soon enough we will know if Ryzen is the real deal or not.

9. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    the FPU & scheduler are enormous. also that cache layout is sexy as **** for some reason...

10. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    because the die shot is not made for be clear. this was part of the material shown to ISCC conference concerning the metal layers, production on the die.. They have keep everything in dark and clear blue and only highlight some parts for show them during the presentation...

They dont wanted shown so early a complete picture of the die.. It have been posted last sunday on beyond3D ( thanks Hoom )

It was at same presentation they posted this, should remember it it was posted by HH allready:

[​IMG]

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/1043349.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017