AMD Ryzen BoxArt and Capsaicin Event at GDC 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Alright, I've folded, theres not one day without any mention of AMD and Ryzen until it launches I'm afraid. As you guys have seen, several webshops have shown Ryzen processors specs, models and pric...

AMD Ryzen BoxArt and Capsaicin Event at GDC 2017

2. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    Around $340 & $385 USD for the 1700 and 1700X respectively on this Thai retailer's listing!

All of these leaks from the various retailers are showing similar pricing, so while AMD hasn't come out with official MSRPs, I feel at this point that we are narrowing in on a pretty good idea of what to expect...and I cannot wait! Assuming Broadwell-E level performance, these prices for the 1700(X) are just absolutely amazing! :thumbup:

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    No AMD labeled beer? They suggesting that one only needs to keep the cpu in a beer bath to keep the temps in check?

4. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    When I see "capsaicin" I think of the pain relieving cream (which is good stuff btw). I'm confused as to how this correlates with Ryzen? Is it bringing the pain relief from Intel's past 5-6 years of stagnation? lol Looking forward to it in any case.

[​IMG]

5. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    hahaha elder, its wat makes peppers spicy :p

6. Skullviking

Skullviking New Member

GPU:
    Asus 4GB GTX 960
    Lets keep the hype train rolling!!!

7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Yeah I know that, although I was thinking hot, as in hot peppers burning your esophagus, (not good for a GPU) --- if we go with spicy, as in cool, or sexy hot, then it's a better term I guess. :banana:

*Sidenote, I was having muscle spasms a couple years ago (left pectoral and surrounding areas) that were severe enough I was concerned that I was having miniature heart attacks at one point. My Dr. prescribed some extra strength capsaicin cream for it. That stuff burned like I'd laid on the beach all day with no suntan lotion.... but it worked and fixed the problem. :flame:

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    When I see "capsaicin" I think of the Scoville scale and hot peppers. Either way, it's a weird chemical to name an event after.

Though what I find weirder is how they have the Romanian flag in the background...

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    you guys think this is a joke ! you have to zoom in to see it .... those are conspiracy theory reviling pictures you just have to look closely here i zoomed it !

[​IMG]

do you see it now ? !

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Holy transistors! You are right!

Its here too!

[​IMG]

And here?!

[​IMG]

They're everywhere! :D

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Question for those who might know this.....

When do they actually ship the Cpu to guys that test them on you tube? Guys like Linus? I know they get samples of intel's high-end stuff before any of us have a chance to buy them at stores, when and if is Amd planning to ship Ryzen to reviewers so we can get a taste of some (Real benchmarks) not just what Amd wants us to see???

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It wouldn't surprise me if reviewers (including Hilbert) already have their hands on samples and are testing them as we speak, but they're restricted to say anything by NDAs. Normally, reviews are published on the release date of the product.

As for what AMD wants us to see, the vast majority of leaked benchmarks certainly are not what they want.

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Gotcha, Thanks for that.My main area which I would like to see is how they do against Intel cpu's in the Game benchmarks....New and older titles that run better on single threaded cpu's,Yeah I know they say the future games will be optimized for multi-threaded bla bla bla but we still have older titles I am sure most of us here still play from time to time so I would like to see an Extensive list of games tested before I spend my hard-earned dollar. Thanks.

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    conspiracy theory confirmed ..... now we need to figure out which one !

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Honestly when it comes to strictly gaming, a Sandy Bridge i7 is still going to be plenty good enough for a while. For most games, the CPU you have now is good enough; the chipset is more likely to be the issue than the CPU. Many (note I said "many", not "all", for all you nit-pickers out there...) benchmarks show that once you reach a certain resolution or you're willing to limit the framerate to 60FPS, the CPU doesn't really matter anymore if it has 8 threads. Even the FX-8000 series will perform head-to-head with Intels in many games, at least if you're using Nvidia drivers.

There are of course exceptions (for me personally, Starcraft II and some VR stuff are the only things I have that are sometimes held back by my CPU), but even if the single-threaded performance of Ryzen is 15% worse than Skylake, I'm sure it's still going to be good enough for just about any CPU-bound game, if you go for an overclocked 1300 or better.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're concerned about having adequate performance of both old and new titles, you can't go wrong with Intel. But if gaming is your only focus, as long as Ryzen outperforms Excavator in every test clock-per-clock, core-per-core, I have no doubt it will be a solid choice.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That picture made me rofl :funny: