AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Fmax Frequency Clocks in at 5.85 GHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Undying, Maddness and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Today is the big day for AMD. This is very cool news. We're going to experience great competition between Intel and AMD. For me personally it looks like I'm going to flip a coin.

Maddness likes this.
  3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Today is just marketing BS. The big day will be when these can actually be tested (and tests revealed to the public) - unfortunately thats often the same day as the actual retail availability, so people are forced to buy blind if they want one early.

Solfaur and Picolete like this.
  4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Il be keeping my old CPU block so it will be AMD for me.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It`s mostly marketing BS but also some important stuff, like release dates, available SKUs and prices.

As for buying the CPUs without seeing any reviews, that`s a risk easily avoided...

Maddness likes this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This is a little concerning to me. Seems like AMD is throwing everything they've got at this. I'm sure this is just so they can barely top out Intel, but they better hope to have another trick up their sleeves after this generation because Intel is playing the same game of ridiculous clocks.
    Then again, I personally don't really care about such CPUs or specs. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money for the sake of a pissing contest. I just want the chip that does what I need it to do for a reasonable price and good performance-per-watt. This chip will be none of those things.

fredgml7 and H83 like this.
  7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So true...

Unfortunately, it seems both companies decided that is more important to win benchmark tests at any cost, even if that involves selling crazy factory overclocked CPUs, instead of selling CPUs with the right blend of performance, energy usage, features and price...

Personally, i`m only interested on the 7700x and maybe the 7600x if the first is too expensive.

Lets see what they are going to reveal later on.

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Zen5 is supposed to be a completely new architecture per AMD. Zen4 is the tick as in die shrink with tweaks and Zen5 is the tock which is kind of funny AMD is pretty much stealing that approach albeit they would never say it.

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Love watching people complain about a CPU they don't intend to buy.

Horus-Anhur and Valken like this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    well duh

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I think you got it the other way around, usually moving to a new node means you have more transistors available, which intern allows you to do more stuff , thus new architectures show up on a new nodes most often for this reason, barring delays or node cancellations.

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Nope I have it right. The new arch was never the first to land on a new node back when Intel as doing tick tock. This approach mitigates how much change occurs at once. You get to fine tune the node using the old, tweaked architecture and then work on a new architecture using the same process node like TSMC's 5nm in this case.
    Tick–tock model - Wikipedia

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Now I'm confused, how is amd using the ticktock model when they have been debuting their new architectures on new nodes, then refining it? didn't intel do the opposite? ex. nehalem(45nm) -> westmere (32nm) then sandybridge(32nm) -> ivybridge(22nm) then haswell(22nm --> broadwell (14nm) then skylake(14nm) -> cannonlake( failed 10nm )
    where as with zen its been zen1(14nm) --> zen1+(enhanced 14) then zen 2(7nm) --> zen 3(a refinement of zen2 defined by a unified cache) (7nm), then zen4 (5nm) --> (supposed new uarch) zen 5(5nm?) , at best you can say that zen2 to zen4 are grouped (though i would tend to disagree), doesn't really indicate any tick-tock pattern at all actually, even in reverse.

I should mention a sample of one a pattern does not make.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    With Zen4 and Zen5.

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I would hardly say that one generation is enough to warrant calling it a shift in overall strategy much less "stealing". looks more like amd is just taking advantage of whatever is available at tsmc. You might have a point if zen 6 ends up on a new node, but until then, its pretty much just conjecture.

edit: typo

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Its obviously conjecture. Some people are a bit too pedantic.

17. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    For me personally I'm excited for the new technologies. I'm looking forward to purchasing new hardware for gaming and creating. I want to test and enjoy the efficiency. The upcoming releases reminds me of the excitement I had for the VooDoo 2, TNT cards, early GeForce cards, Radeon 9700 - 9800xt, X1900xt, 8800gt/gts and I could just keep going.

Remember the power/performance increase of the Pentium 2, Pentium 4, Core 2 Duo, Quad, I9 and Ryzen? That's how I'm feeling! We have great tech and fantastic game engines coming.

Heck my current system still impresses me but we are getting a nice leap forward with the new CPUs and GPUs. The leaks and performance test are proving that. I liked AMD's showing and their future products are looking good. Looking forward to what Jenson has to say in September. The 13900k leaks are impressive also and the 4090 is looking to be monstrous. I want to see what RDNA 3 can do with heavily raytraced games.

Prices are coming down also here in the states. Gpus and Ram are seeing huge discounts. I truly hope this extends to every country.

Maybe because I'm an old head that started out playing pong but in my opinion, this is indeed one of the most exciting times for new hardware.

Valken and pegasus1 like this.
  18. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    Unfortunately on the Europe, tech prices (CPUs, GPUs) still inflated and many households are experiencing great increases on prices (energy, groceries, etc...), so no longer we can be entusiastic at upgrading our computers. Is litteraly expecting some promos to see if is possible to do some upgrades. This year I upgraded the GPU (sold my old to get some money back), CPU (I waited for a promotion), and PSU because my old one was not giving confidence to mantain it, to much noise at load. I always did a lot of upgrades on my desktop last years, contantly buying and selling components, but tis is a time that is out of question. I went from a Ryzen 2600 to 5600, was not sure if it was going to be a good upgrade, but indeed the leap in performance was really great, just by changing the CPU with just a difference of 2 generations in the same socket, an upgrade that is 10 minutes and ready to blow.

The AM4 is a fantastic platform, sill gives really good performance and had an excelent upgrade path. At least I think much better than AM3. Ryzen 5000, a bit pricey at lauch, but beasts in performance. This 7000 will be fantastic, and I will try to go AM5 when things will be better.