1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X: Overclocked to 5 GHz Allcore faster than Intel Core i9

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2019.

1. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I don't understand the obsession with all cores, although I can see why it would provide the highest numbers in a select few situations.

I mean, beyond high scores in specific highly threaded applications, an extra few hundred MHz will have very little effect in computational work, and in games you'll find threads being limited to pretty low numbers on a regular basis. My point being, it would be much more interesting to see a processor do 6.0 GHz as its max turbo, that way you know you'll have the extra power in thread limited situations, which is usually when you need it the most.

It's a bit like Intel releasing that 5.0 GHz all core special edition processor, which is not much use in pretty much any situation, other than appealing to a select few who seem to have an unhealthy fascination with equal frequencies on all cores. Also, let's not forget higher temps and unnecessary power usage, all when you could simply run much higher turbo clocks on pretty much the same voltage. Of course, the only draw back being you couldn't use load line calibration, which is far from ideal any way.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    schmidtbag likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    What I don't get is how that CPU can be stable at that voltage. Shouldn't quantum tunneling be a major issue for this?

3. Silva

Silva Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    I'm not even a water cooling fan, I hate these articles about LN2. Why should we care how much a CPU can OC in LN2, will anyone run a setup like that at home? I never understood the fuzz about it.
    OC with anything using Air or/and Water and I'll respect the results. LN2? Get lost.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Reducing the temperatures so much fundamentally decreases leakage.

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64EKWB 240PP12V
    I would still think the CPU is pretty much fecked after all the benches are complete.
    There would still be some migration, due to the insane voltage and speeds involved, even at low temperatures overall.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    some chips go a while I had two 3770k/3570?k's on ln2 or dry ice every week for about a 1 and a half years both still had max air clocks.i think the board I used saved them by voltage safety crap kicking in lol
    on the other hand the 980x were very weak ln2 was certain death it was just when.1 I had was sooooooooooo hurt after 3 ln2 sessions

Evildead666 likes this.
  7. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    just let me preorder already!!! :(:(:(

8. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    @las and others:
    do you see super sports cars compared by how how long it takes them to go from LA to SF in stop and go traffic, or by timing a lap on the nuerburgring?
    right.
    even if its doesnt translate into any real world use (perf/cooling etc), its a good indicator, and allows to compare to intel running a similar setup,
    as well as showing some ppl (that dont have a lot of processing power themselves (grey matter), that intel isnt the only viable option anymore.

same for tweaking.
    the days when a few ppl would get crazy oc on cpu/gpus are virtually over (outside compressor/LN2 cooling etc)
    manufacturers want less possible issues and limit stuff (e.g. power on nv cards), and making stuff smaller doesnt help either.

sure im not that happy that manual tweaking wont be as rewarding as it was years ago, then again it was a bit more lottery to get a good chip (going past the common +10%),
    vs those kind of "guaranteed ~10%" we see today, but at least now i dont need to spend all day running benches and doing multiple reboots to find clocks that are stable.

with the oc scanner it took less than 30 min to find clocks (+79 MHz) very close to my max stable clocks (+85), while using less voltage (1080)

BReal85 likes this.
  9. Ricardo

Ricardo Active Member

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    So, you're doing this?

10. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 270X DC2 TOP
    Who says it? You? I see that 2060 is 30$ less than an RX5700 while being 10% slower and having 2GB less VRAM and the 2070 is $50 more expensive while being 10% slower.
    And AMD can lower prices if they need it. The rumored $100 NV price drop might remain a rumour too. And first wait for Navi reviews than the "super" reviews.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Which is great, except, it's not 16 cores. Get an intel 16-core processor to 5.1Ghz on water, then you have something to talk about in regards to this news.

Not sure anyone expected 5Ghz on AIO or air for 16 cores.....if anyone did, that's just crazy talk.

fry178 and Death_Lord like this.
  12. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    200 MHz extra on all 16 cores equals to a 3200mhz more to use for the system, its like having an extra CPU, no wonder heat goes up so much!
    Can't wait to see how the 8 and 12 core models behave

13. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So 4 cores Ryzen would hit 5Ghz+?

Does it happen?

Why clock speed goes up the more expensive CPU gets, regardless of cores count? Amd marketing trick??

14. Ricardo

Ricardo Active Member

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    Is "under water" above the surface?

Anyway, just chill. It was a joke/pun.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't understand what you are asking.

To me, you basically just asked why CPU companies create products, as CPUs tend to get more expensive as the default clock speed goes up.....this isn't special to AMD, so i don't understand your question.

Also, what 4-core Zen 2?

16. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I am just disappointed that lower price models can't be overclocked more than higher cores count CPUs.
    Why? Cause then higher-end models won't sell well.

So if 16 cores CPU can't push 5GHz on standard cooling, means lower models probably also not achieving it.

I don't know if AMD cripples cheaper models like (3600), so it doesn't overclock over 5GHz or there something else to it.

Code:
    CPU    Cores / Threads    Clock speed/turbo (GHz)    Cache (total)    PCIe lanes
    CPU+x570 chipset)    MSRP
    Ryzen 9 3900X    12/24    3.8 / 4.6    70MB    40    $ 499
    Ryzen 7 3800X    8/16    3.9 / 4.5    36MB    40    $ 399
    Ryzen 7 3700X    8/16    3.6 / 4.4    36MB    40    $ 329
    Ryzen 5 3600X    6/12    3.8 / 4.4    35MB    40    $ 249
    Ryzen 5 3600    6/12    3.6 / 4.2    35MB    40    $ 199

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Don't know where you're getting that information.

18-core intel CPUs can't OC as high as their 6-core 9900k etc.

Again, nothing new here.....

18. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I am not talking about Intel, I am talking about AMD here, Ryzen and Matisse line up to be specific.

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, your post makes no sense. Intels higher-core CPUs can not be overclocked to the same ability of their lower-core parts, and i don't care that you're "not talking about intel", what you're stating doesn't make sense and can only be compared. The higher core counts you go, the lower OC headroom you have with "standard cooling", this is factual, so again, where is your information from?

20. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    My head, obviously.