AMD Ryzen 9 3950X beats Intel i9-10980XE in 3DMark Firestrike by almost 25%

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Considering we would see 128threads TR cpu so soon it would not be surprise if that tops out in 2 years time.

bernek likes this.
  2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Just look up 9980XE numbers if you want something to compare to. The new CPU should if anything be slightly better (slightly better clock, hardware security mitigations), but probably not much. Obviously its impossible to judge an entire system from the benchmark page, since it has no details on cooling used, but you can extrapolate from the clock, I guess. A random 9980XE result with a 4.6GHz boost clock had around 32k Physics as well.

The Physics numbers shown in that "leak" are far too low for any real-world setup that a 10980XE will ever run it, because who buys such a thing and then doesn't give it proper cooling to stretch its legs?

TL;DR:
    Benchmarks without controlled circumstances are meaningless.

airbud7, nizzen and wavetrex like this.
  3. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    VEGA64 / 8GB
    Intel was mocking with customers and enjoying the throne for far too long ... the prices were accordingly ... now things have changed and they are SO LOST but they still have the market share that will fall in the next years if they dont come with something truly magic !

How many sockets did the make ? how many times they made customers buy new motherboards ? I think there are maybe 10-15 sockets for basically the same CPUs ... they were so greedy even the chipsests had to be sold in imense amounts .... The performance increase was at least mediocre between the many "generations" they had and it was so easy and comfy to count the money coming in with absolutely nothing new.

Take an I7 970 from 15 years ago compare it to an i7 from 5 years ago ... the difference ... marginal. All those core i5 with no hyperthreading all those K and Extreme processors that costed like a small town car ... it will all go to dust and I will be dancing in that dust in 5 years with my shiny new 64 core processor made by AMD.

geogan and Undying like this.
  4. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    That argument is really getting old. I get it, there is enthusiasts here that might upgrade a CPU and keep using an old mainboard. But in the real world, the majority of Intels sales do not go to such people. Intel doesnt really care if they sell Chipset 1 or Chipset 2, because business and OEM will largely never upgrade CPUs only - and thats where the real money is for Intel. Even the majority of self-build systems will not upgrade frequent enough to ever make use of this.

Making new chipsets was largely just "easier", they had all the freedom to design the CPUs how they wanted to, and they just didn't care, because the market segment that might care about reusable boards is an extremely tiny fraction.

Its even funnier that you post in here, because the 10000 HEDT series is actually the 3rd line of CPUs that runs on the X299 platform.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019

5. Angushades

Angushades Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    What the hell are you talking about "marginal" Lol are you joking, get your fanboi cancer outta here mate. What you wrote is complete BS.

nizzen likes this.
  6. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    And yet the title says it's 25% faster.... This is a false and misleading piece.

7. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Noob3d.com
    [​IMG]

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Agree. We can't blame Intel for trying to make money as that is the sole purpose of corporations. If you look at Intel's earnings they are still making record profits year on year so they are following there C corp mandate. I do disagree with corporations as a whole as maximizing shareholder profits really should be 3rd or 4th on the priorities list for any company that plans to be around for the long haul. Take Intel for example there short term maximizing of profits is going to cost them long term market share. If we look out 50 years I bet this myopic view costs Intel trillions. My hope is AMD doesn't let up and gets a sizable share of the server market and they very well should since there SMT is significantly better than Intel's hyperthreading. The closer to 50/50 market share the better it is for the consumer albeit the worse it is for Intel. To be fair I do hope Intel gets a decent piece of the dedicated GPU market as it really needs a third player to help stop all the proprietary nonsense Nvidia pulls off. So in short competition is good for the consumer and bad for the pseudo monopolies.

Silva likes this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Ain`t that obvious - AMD optimized that CPU for that benchmark.
    :cool:

10. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    @Margalus
    Doesnt say WHERE it is 25% faster.
    And anyone that actually cares to read the article, would know that its the phy score..

11. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X against Intel Core i9-9980XE - AnandTech

I did; I was surprised how many times the R9-3900X beat the crap out of the i9-9980XE. That's the 3900X mind you, the 3950X isn't in their database yet.

The cost of delaying new microarchitecture

12. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I think the i7 970 is 9 years old and some months.

Undying and K.S. like this.
  13. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I didn't know those facts. I have a Time Spy Extreme done.... not sure if that guy did one to compare.

14. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    VEGA64 / 8GB
    i7 3770 vs i7 4770 - diference is 5% they difference between generations 15% at best ... they have some leaps but everytime a new CPU is launched they popup a new socket and that is pure marketing BS and like someone said they are only interested in profit. A company driven closer to the enduser will have success in the long run.

Ok if the diference is performance is 25-35% the ok new socket but it wasnt the case all the time....

And please dont just trow dirt at me dont call me a fanboy because I only buy what is the best perf/price ratio.

P.S. if you call me a fanboy what does that make you ? the guardian of Intel ? Competition is good but some just fail to see that and think what they have is the absolute best...

fry178 and MonstroMart like this.
  15. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    The name of this site is guru3D not guruOEM or guruBusiness or guruIntelInside or guruIBMCompatible. Lot of people here upgrade every 3-4 years or so. If you can upgrade the CPU after 3-4 years without upgrading the mb then it's a plus for a lot of people since most of the time after 3-4 years there's no new mb features that you really need and the mb is still perfectly good to use. So be ready to hear this argument again. Personally it was part of my decision to go with Ryzen. I like the fact i'll be able to buy a 3700 or 3800 when they will be on sale 2 years from now without having to change the mb and ram.

fry178 and bernek like this.

16. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64
    Indeed it is the 3rd CPU on the X299 platform, mostly because it's still the 7980XE and they are managing to convince people to pay more for the same CPU again. Not sure how that's a pro customer position but hey.

Most people have already pointed out that the numbers for both CPU's are bunk so meh. The 3950X will gain more with faster memory and tuned timings. The 10980XE will gain more when it uses boost. I'd be willing to bet it wasn't running boost or running very low boost settings for that run.

17. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    I find the 3dmark physics score frustratingly useless, since it seems no devs ever build a game/engine with CPU physics at the level that scales with threads. Its an endless tease of a theoretical possibility we seemingly never get to see in a practical application. At least cinebench mirrors an actual applications workload and is similar to other actual applications.

18. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
  19. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    VEGA64 / 8GB
  20. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060