1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X: 16 cores and 32 threads - A Gaming CPU to be released in September

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 11, 2019.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    There is some truth to what both of you are saying. It is possible to game at 4K with modern hardware without the GPU being the bottleneck, though, that is pretty uncommon.
    I generally agree that if high frame rates are what you seek, 4K should be a low priority (as of today) and that 1440p is a good middle-ground of decent resolution and decent performance

Just curious but do you have AA on? Because I don't see how you, with a pair of 1080Tis, could struggle to get 60FPS on those games. To my understanding, AA becomes exponentially more GPU intensive as resolution goes up, so I could see how it could be very punishing at 4K. For that very reason, whenever I switch to 4K, I have no intention on using AA at all (maybe SMAA). To me personally, the performance loss and extra heat generated just isn't worth the visual difference, especially at such a high resolution.

It was implied that this was referring to Skylake X when it was released, since the context is about how the CPUs were marketed when they were first being sold.

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Probably because he's using one of the 1080Ti's for gaming. He mentioned it a few posts up. :)