1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X review with benchmarks leaks out

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What you are seeing to make you post what you posted? I feel like that was a fairly simply request. I mean sure i didn't say "so show me" but if you are seeing what you're seeing, then show it?

I mean if you post something based off of what you have seen it should be expected that you can back it up, otherwise i'm confused as to why you are surprised people are questioning your post.

You don't have to "show your work" if you don't want to, just don't expect that people will not question you if you make statements as you have. That shouldn't be unreasonable.

Venix and 0blivious like this.
  2. zorandesign

zorandesign Member

GPU:
    MSI NX7600GT
    2 questions:

1.Why is 9900K tested with slow(er) memory
    2.Why are games tested 720p? Who plays on that resolution?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Aura, at some point, I think that's what the "ignore" button is for. But I lack your passion. :)

fry178 and bballfreak6 like this.
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh i use it, more recently then ever :)

0blivious likes this.

5. TurboMan

TurboMan Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Strix OC
    That's the memory speed Intel officially lists as highest supported so that's why they review it this way. I know, its bullshit but technically that's how it is.

Lower resolutions are more CPU dependent since the GPU is not working as hard. GPUs become a bottleneck at higher resolutions. For example, a GTX 1080 TI at a 4K resolution will make the same FPS with most average to high end CPUs - either AMD or Intel.

carnivore and angelgraves13 like this.
  6. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Pretty much it. The way I see it if they are paid shills they're not going to change their stance because of logic. Similarly if they are irrational fanatics they are also not going to change their stance because of logic. Though all this make for some comedic reading :D.

I will say, as someone whose last and current rigs were Intel, I am excited to finally see some real competition brought on by AMD. Pending on upcoming official benchmarks my new build will most likely be one of the Ryzen 3000 variants particularly if what's been shown up to this point is any indication of how good these new chips are going to be.

0blivious likes this.
  7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    1 - It likely makes literally 0 difference in those game results, as opposed to Ryzen which uses an interconnect ("Infinity Fabric") that directly relies on RAM speed. Zen 2's Infinity Fabric apparently runs at a 1:1 ratio with the RAM up until 3700MHz IIRC. You would get even better results on Zen with faster than 3200MHz RAM, while not gaining a single frame on the Intel system.

2 - The dumb theory that it needs to be tested that way to keep the bottleneck as the CPU. The problem with this is... it's a test result that applies to nothing in the real world. 720p monitors haven't been a thing for an eternity. Results like this DO NOT always scale linearly. So it's not like it can just be extrapolated for higher resolutions. Intel loves this sort of marketing, they'd rather not have people see the 4K results which they oddly lose in.

8. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    2667 MHz memory is stocxk for 9900k and 3200 MHz is recommended default for Ryzen 3xxx (3733 MHz is sweet-spot for Ryzen though, to keep ram speed at 1:1 with infinity fabric speed - some say it can do 4000 MHz at 1:1)
    720p is to show synthetic speed of CPU so there is no GPU bottleneck. - even though Intel disclaim synthetic tests aka Cinebench.

9. TurboMan

TurboMan Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Strix OC
    There will be 1080p reviews in a few days. If i'm not mistaken, that's the most popular resolution. We'll find out soon enough :D

10. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm not the one writing a novel and wasting my time defending a company that needs no defending. You are, my friend. Its okay if AMD is second place, life goes on.

TurboMan likes this.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Awww you did exactly what i expected from you. Thank you for proving my point, its much appreciated.

fry178 likes this.
  12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    You were not here for 4.5 billion years.
    You will live for maybe 80 years.
    Then you will never exist again.
    Yet you are willing to spend time arguing over something so irrelevant.

13. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I find it pretty ironic that we have to keep lowering the graphics bar to “expose” Ryzen 3000 as infinitely “inferior” yet the results on a non standard test resolution are closer than any chip since The good ol A64 days. There’s probably other issues going on like the lack of good chipset drivers and who knows what else if that review is to be taken seriously.

fry178, carnivore, Aura89 and 3 others like this.
  14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I was going to say how on Earth is the 8700K and the 8086K ahead of the 9700K in Handbrake, until I realized that the 9700K lacks HT! The 3900x just decimates the competition though, making the top Intel and Threadripper CPUs practically obsolete!

The gaming benchmarks seem to be what I would have predicted. I would have expected Intel to maintain their lead in certain games that are more memory latency intensive and have less parallelism ie Far Cry 5, while Zen 2 would be faster in games that are more parallel and cache sensitive like AC Origins.

Actually, you can put that one down for a milestone for AMD. This is the first time that AMD has EVER beaten Intel in an Assassin's Creed game benchmark. The most recent AC games like AC Origins and AC Odyssey are all very CPU intensive, and Intel has always had a significant lead over AMD in those titles.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  15. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    There isn't and can't be a perfect benchmark. Gaming results will change with each game, and even with updates to the game. And with the GPU, and its driver, and the resolution etc. etc. Arguing about those benches is as pointless as it is endless.

Much more stable indicators of raw performance are the Cinebench 1T and multi-T scores, although those are still affected by memory speed, cooling, etc. They also change with Cinebench instruction mix and weighting, but that's an evolutionary process.

In those "best available" metrics, the Ryzen 3700 & 3900 are now within ~2% of the 9900K and better than the 9980XE. Hugely better in thread scaling, for some reason. And a significantly better value in every other way (power, compatibility etc).

That's reality. Every day more apps including games will reflect it. If you want the best hardware, buy Ryzen. If you care only about the absolute highest 1080p FPS in Final Fantasy today, go ahead and reward Intel for what they've done to you for 10 years. If you have the extra cash for that, of course

16. narukun

narukun Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    Ready to buy a juicy 3900X! Can't wait for the reviews and by that I mean Digital Foundry review anything else is trash

angelgraves13 likes this.
  17. beedoo

beedoo Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080 OC
    On the whole, these early results look decent to me and I'm sure the numbers will improve in the coming weeks and months as firmware updates come through. Hopefully the price-points mean that people find them worth investing in.

I've spent much of my life throwing heaps into the latest and greatest hardware, dating back to the old 3dfx Voodoo 1, Dual 12MB Voodoo 2's (which cost me £500 back then) - and beyond, then the Matrox G400 series graphics cards (with bump mapping technology), and many processor and video card upgrades since then. These days I'm running a ThreadRipper 2950X (which still costs almost twice the 9900K) on an Asus ROG Zenith Extreme motherboard with 64GB Ram, an RTX 2080OC and $1000AU of hard-line liquid cooling kit. I don't need all that, and the damn thing isn't even overclocked - but I had fun building it.

After 40 years of gaming, those extra frames or IPC just don't matter to me any more despite planning for the 2950X successor when it comes out - and even then I don't particularly care how it performs relative to the competition. Games currently look great on my ROG Swift PG348Q monitor at 3440x1440 and, for the most part, wringing out and more performance isn't really going to change my experience that much - outside of bragging rights.

The protracted point here is that for most people, the 10% extra FPS you might get from the 9900K aren't going to make you any better a game player, and probably not radically alter your experience so buy what you like / can afford.

18. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
  19. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    But.....thats not how it works.

People must first pledge allegiance to a particular brand, and then start mud flinging on anyone who says a single thing against that brand, even if it's fact.

Please take your "fun" elsewhere, this is the internet, no place for fun.

Just look at this thread, half of it is just arguing over a few percentage difference, I mean, in case you didn't know, people sit and count frames and benchmark points and then go ape sh!t and then the poo flinging commences

/Joke!

Aura89 likes this.
  20. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Aura89 and BReal85 like this.