AMD Ryzen 5000 (ZEN3) announcement thread

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3
    Should i buy an x570 board now or wait,is there any chance other boards will surface after release of zen3?

2. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    It probably unlikely but never say never. We have seen this on multiple occasions as DDR transitions occured.

3. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yeah,meee too.But with this shity year 2020 everything can go wrong because of c19 times.

Imo,you can get any good Vrm design board.But you can wait for reviews and Christmas prices.
    :)
    Other boards could be for AM5,but in 2022 with DDR5 tech.

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    I find it very funny that in the worst year in ages we have known, there are so many good releases i guess that's one way to F*** C19 pandemic :)

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    There is literally zero reason to go for Intel at the high end. Worse platform, slower CPUs.

It's also very obvious that AMD is waiting for Rocket Lake, to release the cheaper SKUs.

Meanwhile they will have made a good chunk of change selling the same chiplets on the higher end products.

I'm starting to genuinely worry about Intel. Even at work our new laptops are all AMD now, with the exception of the Macbooks which will soon switch to Apple.

Turanis likes this.
  6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    No need to worry about Intel once they get a strong hold on the 10nm or 7nm they probably fight back harder.

I just hope we won't see another C2D that comes out of nowhere and puts AMD out of the game for long time.

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Most likely 7nm then. Since 10nm is kind of gone.

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Too many delays and way too much time and $ spent trying to stick with monolithic design. I was hoping to build a new workstation next spring and it looks like Intel wont even have next gen HEDT until the fall of 2021 at the earliest and by then next gen Threadripper will likely make that product DOA.

Just picture the gap there needs to be between X299 and the next Intel HEDT CPU to threaten Zen 3 Threadripper.

Take a 3990X, add 15% to that and compare this to the 10980XE. This is the leap Intel needs to make in 1 generation in terms of threaded workloads.

9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Pretty much my plan. I'll get Ryzen 3 next year along with a RTX 3k or Radeon 6k and then i'll call it a day for a couple of years and just upgrade the gpu.

10. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Asus already confirmed a new board without a chipset fan so there will be new x570 boards and the removal of the fan will probably be the selling point in many cases. This said not sure x570 is worth it. There's pretty good b550 boards around and you can overclock the ram and cpu with them. A bunch of them support one pcie 4 nvme as well as one pcie 3 nvme at the same time. No crossfire/sli support really is not a problem in 2020 imo.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    wavetrex likes this.

11. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Losing the fan is indeed a good idea and selling point.
    Looking forward to see some new X570 models in the near future.
    Now because of what we learned from the ctr (and not only), the vrm also plays a very important factor (at least for some of us).

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    You never know, but it seems that AMD and Intel have actually converged in very similar core designs. I don't expect any great revolution. Maybe integrating HBM or something like that on a chiplet, but not to the actual core design.

I actually worry in the sense that despite all of their portfolio etc, they are essentially a one trick pony. Nobody cares about any of the peripherals they produce if their x86 processors are not compelling any longer, and as an organization they are terribly ran.

It's now been three years since Zen 1, they should have some sort of answer. And I don't mean setting fire to CPUs at 10GHz to reach any respectable performance.

13. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
  14. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    It will be interesting to watch this spark a CL competition at 4000Mhz. XMP seems to go as low as CL15 for 4000Mhz, I wonder if we will see a push for CL14? I know you can go lower already but the voltages are unreasonable and the stability isn't really perfect for 24/7 use.

15. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    Prices will be unreasonable to. Buy a 3600 cl16 and be happe with it. If you are lucky might get them running at 3800 or 4000 with cl18-19

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020

16. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    I have a 5y old 3600C16. It does 4266C16 on Intel (6700K, 6850K, 8600K) without touching timing and does 3800C14-14-16 on Zen 2 on very tight timings.
    However I will hold to the current system as I am in the process of fleeing Europe hopefully by Xmas.

17. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    There are only two fan less motherboards available right now , I wish there was more of them .
    ( Asus and the very expansive but nice Gigabyte extreme )

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah a nice heatsink and heat spreader without doubling the price of the already above normal price Master using the Gigabyte board as a example doesn't seem like it would be a huge problem and would be very popular even if this isn't the Intel 40 to 60 series of motherboards when third party manufacturers threw all kinds of cooling solutions and full on copper kits on the board.

It should still be possible to get a good high-end but not completely padded out and affordable board without the spinner fan, weird how it wasn't a bigger thing for the X570 even if the fan itself might be durable the noiseless solution should be really popular.

EDIT: Actually why not both. Gigabyte did overkill with passive cooling once they can do it again. :p
    [​IMG]
    (Well I suppose this big thing is also intended for water judging by the two pins there.)

...Granted that top PCI express slot is sorta useful for something like a GPU.
    And yeah there's a few of these from the Intel 45 up to the 60 something series especially from Gigabyte but also several from Asus ranging from more sensible to whatever these class as.

So many different designs too I already used a similar one as a example in a different topic but this one is even further over the top along with so many other models, right idea though just some metal block on the chipset pipe it off to a spreader and avoid obstructing the CPU and RAM slots as thermals are taken care of for the chip without reliance on a active cooling solution.

Extreme does that but yeah it's almost 1000$ instead of the 200$ maybe 300$ depending on features for the X570 or balancing it with a B550 if the chipset PCI Express 4.0 stuff is less important.

Cost might have changed a bit by this point though and now it's aluminum instead of copper for these passive cooling solutions in many cases too.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Got mobo, RAM, NVMe SSand new case ordered. Just need 5900X and CPU cooler and I'm set.

ZXRaziel and jura11 like this.
  20. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    Im missing the 5800/5900 and the PSU, bought a Ion+ 850w on amazon but stock is missing lol They have 15 days more to deliver haha

As CPU cooler I picked the noctua nh-u12a, lets hope it keeps things cool enough, not a fan of AIOs.

jura11 likes this.