AMD Ryzen 5000 (ZEN3) announcement thread

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 8, 2020.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Do you think we'll have PCIe 5? I think it's far too soon but you never know...

2. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    I think that will take time to be mainstream, wont have much aplication for everyday use.

The just released 4.0 is a feature few people will use as it fullest. Has "zero" impact on everyday use or gaming untill more tech is developed on game engines. ( There is a hardware unbox video un hd vs ssd vs nvme 3 and 4 for loading times).

3. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    History speaks for it self, and i live in europe.
    Try a bit harder next time youre being an ass kiddo.

-Tj- likes this.
  4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    What for ? PCIE 4.0 is almost usless , maybe in few years will be needed in typical desktop.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    NVMe I guess. Also you could run a GPU at x8 and have more lanes for other stuff.
    All the 5's sounds like a good marketing thing too!

6. tty8k

tty8k Member Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    Having a 3500MB/s SSD and a 560MB/s I can tell you in real application there isn't much difference between them.
    Basically game loading times are almost identical, copy of multiple (thousands) small files is the same more or less.

You can only see a major difference if you write/read a single huge file to it, something like a 10GB+ in one file.

nizzen likes this.
  7. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I'm thankful they are coming out with something this much better than Ryzen 3xxx series, that works with the majority of AM4 motherboards. It gives me a solid upgrade path even if I already have a 3950x here, without costing me a new motherboard (which I already had to get anyways because the ASRock board blew up).
    Provided your motherboard can handle the higher-than-65w TDP chips, you would be well served to upgrade if you do production work on your computer.

People fussing over the price - 3000 series and 4000-G series will still be around, so get that if the 5xxx models are too much - or peruse the used marketplace for something you can afford. I personally think that AMD deserves the extra 50$ a chip in costs, especially if it goes into R&D. We all want a good deal, so keep your eyes peeled and wait it out if needed. We all know that even for the new higher MSRP these things will fly off shelves so fast they'll be serving them from boxes behind the checkout counter, so I don't see what the big deal is.

I will however myself wait until they knock 100$ off the price around next spring or summer when competing chips come out from intel & if they don't, I'll just wait a little longer. My 3950x is not leaving me in a hurry to upgrade - but I definitely make good use of it.

Also, DO NOT put a 3900x/3950x or overclock an 8-core on water on an Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 x570 board, you'll blow it up. It lasted 2 months with my 3950x at stock speeds while staying cool, spend a little extra on an Asus TUF X570 or P-Pro for better VRMs. Don't use an MSI x570 MPG either, same thing but even worse VRM cooling.

Will wait for HH's reviews and decide how long to wait it out. I don't need to compete for one.
    For those still on Haswell, Skylake, Broadwell or older, you could be well served by an upgrade, even if all you do is game - but 90% of gamers won't need more than a 3700x/3800x or it's 5xxx equivalent. Most people won't find they need the last few FPS of an intel processor in gaming unless they play for super-high FPS multiplayer competitions where every last drop of power/speed matters. Basically, there's not much that CAN'T run smoothly on a 3700x - even a 3600 is good in most cases in this regard - unless you're running a ton of traffic in BeamNG.

Turanis, JAMVA and tunejunky like this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    not at all, especially if you're using it to make money

when you are creating content, rendering, editing 4k (or even 1080p for that matter) the speed of native pcie 4.0 throughput save time = money.
    not to mention A.I. and Big Data using the Data Center version.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I know I've seen it first hand but we have directstorage coming soon enough. I'm not saying we need it, I'm just curious if we'll get it so soon.

10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    Since it's coming for the Xbox very soon, I don't expect it to come late in 2021, but this doesn't sound like they are in a hurry either:
    "We’re targeting getting a development preview of DirectStorage into the hands of game developers next year." emphasis added
    https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-is-coming-to-pc/
    This time around the consoles do something great earlier than PC.

I have all three generations btw, 550MB/s, 3GB/s and 5GB/s. It's difficult to notice any difference at all currently as so many say.

Turanis and INSTG8R like this.

11. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    If you're gonna have any drive a fast nvme for me it's important for it to be the OS drive, the OS drive is where you want all the data accessible as fast as.

12. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    2021 with Zen 4

Infinity Fabric 3.

13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    I had typical average joe gamer in mind. Pcie 3.0 is, still good and will be for few years. We still have to wait for gpu to be bottlenecked by pice 3.0.
    Still i rather have 4.0 and more future proof platform. That's why i chose B550 this round with AMD ( last 3 cpus where intels, last amd was athlon fx 64...)

Turanis likes this.
  14. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I use my Ryzen 3950x / x570 system to create content, modeling buildings/infrastructure, simulate traffic in the city I am building. Time is money - if I don't get enough done, I don't make as much. It's not a big difference granted, but easily pays for itself. No sense waiting for things when you don't have to.
    All the Youtuber folks that edit videos, all the content creators working with anything 4k and up in graphics, or huge models that can be 500mb for ONE level of detail (the closest one, mind you, it's the most detailed), need all the speed that they can get.
    Glad to see someone else that knows this!

For the average gamer, a Sata SSD in 2.5" or M.2 form will do just fine and dandy, and no one would be the wiser. Any SSD (just about) is better than even GOOD hard drives - except in capacity, but that's slowly leveling off with 1tb drives under 100$ for the last year or more.
    Having a 500-series AMD chipset and recent 3xxx 7nm CPU will keep your machine from becoming outdated as quickly. We know what we need now, but we NEVER know what we will need in the future, even if it's only next month we're talking about. Choosing x570 as a content creator was a no-brainer decision, considering Threadripper 3xxx wasn't out, and even if it was, it's out of sensible spending range for most hobbyists and freelance content creators/modders.
    They really need an 'introductory' 3xxx Threadripper CPU for those of us who want to peace-meal it, seeing as a 1500$ minimum purchase on a CPU is rather stratospheric for those of us who jumped on the 1st i7 generation in 2009 or so.
    If you keep your computer for years, only upgrading a part or two at a time on an as-needed only basis (or if you *really* have to have that new gadget or component), going with the most recent platform is almost always ideal. No sense buying something outdated already, considering what things cost today.

What to do with all those CPU cores, as far as games go?
    Those of you who have an 8-core or better CPU, go look up BeamNG Drive on Steam or on your preferred digital store. This driving / car accident simulator features soft-body physics and traffic AI. It is still having more features added with regular updates, but there's a lot of substance there already. This game will use all of your CPU up to about 12 cores on an AMD machine (you hit the dx11 draw call limit in most scenes by then, not unlike MS flight sim). It's really awesome being able to run my Los Injurus City Map project / Roane County Tennessee / Tail of the Dragon / Nevada Interstate map mods with lots of traffic and make a wreck of things... Give it a try if you want to put your CPU to work.
    This is currently more of a driving simulator than a game, but there's quite a bit of fun to be had - even if it's stuffing a moving truck full of pianos and driving it down a long set of stairs, or, off a cliff in ACME style. Can take some getting used to even with slower cars if you're a keyboard driver - mouse steering, joystick, or steering wheel kindly recommended, but in no-means required.

I only added that last bit about BeamNG Drive for those folks who want to know what you can do with all those cores on modern high-end processors, it will certainly make very good use of them!
    If anyone has this game and has a Threadripper 3xxx or EPYC equivalent processor, please give us some performance feedback on how much traffic you can run.
    *Spoiler section used for slightly off-topic part, and also so it doesn't make my post look like a giant commercial or inconvenience anyone.

Turanis and tunejunky like this.
  15. suty455

suty455 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    dunno if this shows but a little tweaking on the 3900x which is my wifes games pc seems its a top of the silicon lottery as well

[​IMG]

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I agree but you could very well have DDR4 and DDR5 IO on the first AM5 chips.

17. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    That is possible indeed.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That is possible in the sense that AMD could do it, however they will not because they have no incentive nor need to do so.

19. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    No need to start a battle about pricing of cpus or gpus.Because at the end of day all we get back to our systems and see we cannot loose much,Because no new Good games are released in this bloody year.
    In 2021 will a see a major uplift in perf and better games,because of consoles 8 cores and Rdna2.Thats right,consoles dictate the trends in gaming. :)

About speedy storage these days,yeah we not loose too much for Sata 3 vs Nvme on Pcie4 in loading for a casual gamer,just average ~3sec.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    I think a lot of people want Cyberpunk 2077 ;)
    I'll change my CPU this year, and probably GPU next year, and then I'll wait for a DDR5 system to become cheap. So I might stick with a Zen3 for a couple of years.