AMD Ryzen 5000 (ZEN3) announcement thread

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 8, 2020.

1. suty455

suty455 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    I dont get it these CPUs are years ahead of Intel yet your complaining that its at the same price point!
    Why not its a better product in every way possible, if Intel had produced this CPU no doubt it would be getting hailed as a breakthrough of EPYC(see what I did there) proportions yet because its an AMD folks expect it to be the "value" platform, its obvious from the comments many make that they will stick with the old Intel stuff they have until hell freezes over or until Intel sorts out its CPUs and drags itself into the modern day, just remember those 4 cores you had as a max 3 Years ago until Zen launched and then take a look at the current CPUs available am typing this on a 16 core CPU think about that 16 cores, in what universe do you think Intel would have made that available to a consumer market if AMD had not forced their hand, so we have an AMD platform that has the highest single core and multicore performance, PCIE 4 and backwards compatability to previous gen Motherboards all in a 105w TDP yet it should still be cheaper than Intel?
    Cmon

2. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    No you are being ridicolous.
    4c/8t was 350 to 400 to consumer 3 years ago, now is around 120.
    8c/16t, double like 3700x/ is still around 300-350 now.
    And to get to higher core count 12 and 16, you do not need to move to a professional platform.

So prices went down enough.

Now before you wouldn't even dream of a 16 core cpu in your computer, and now that you can see it on amazon you would want it at a lower price.

The 3000 serie is not going away immedialtely and prices will go down too on that range of CPUs.

suty455 likes this.
  3. suty455

suty455 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    But Intels Benchmarks are ok ? Even when they install an off screen cooler to just be at the top, and when the CEO sends out a pathetic blog the Day before the competition launches effectively saying "please dont forget us we have something launching next year"
    You can take a Horse to Water......

Richard Nutman likes this.
  4. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I m saying that claiming best single core performance is bullshit, both side.
    Benchmarks are not performances that user care of.
    Every cpu will excel in some computational load, and that's it.

Also to people shocked by the evil price increase, i suppose those extra 50$ will go away, as soon as the 3000 serie warehouse is completely cleared out.
    First 2 months and xmas those prices will go up, of course.

The 3600X is still a great product and dirty cheap, when the 3000 serie is no more, those will go back to today prices.

5. EngEd

EngEd Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Soon time for MSI Tomahawk x570 + 5900x and some 3600Mhz G.skill memory to go with my RTX 3080. I am upgrading from 4790K which is currently running smooth at 4.8Ghz on all 4 cores. So for me it will be first time going back to AMD since I left AMD for Intels Core2Duo :)

Maddness likes this.
  6. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280
    Just realize there's no 5700X

7. Nictron

Nictron Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080Ti
    Something tells me that they will be binning all 5Ghz boost capable Zen3 5000 Series CPU for the XT variants.

Well done AMD great work over the years and hope the teams are well rewarded with emphasis to keep going. Let's hope the accountants and shareholders do not ruin their progress from here.

8. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Far away! Frame Chasers does actually know something about hardware, and are actually testing hardware. Did you see the video?
    Moore's Law is Dead is just talking around and assuming things :p

9. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I kinda don't get the pricing complaints. It's 50$ more expensive than the last gen, while there is basically no competition for it. I mean it might seem like a significant jump if you compare it to something like 3700x, which was just amazing price, but there is no equivalent product for 5000 series.

Personally, while this looks great, I will definitely skip it and wait for DDR5. That 3700x is absolutely going to last me that long.

Turanis likes this.
  10. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    I will replace my Asrock x570 taichi with Asus x570 Dark Hero for the new 5k series cpu. Going to test 5800x 8 core and 5950x 16core.

11. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    5800x 8 core has the "same" performance as 2 years old 9900k, so the price is a bit high I think. If you are upgrading from a "ancient" plattform, it will be ok :)

12. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    Well... the 9900 was the very high end, 5800x is not, and you are looking at gaming perf. many users need cpus for more than gaming.

Vlooi likes this.
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    --
    Any issue with x570 Taichi? Cause I'm looking at that (among other boards) to get eventually.

14. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    I ended up buying a B550 just to get rid of the mini-fan. MB with those fans were bad many years ago, wont fall for it again.

Ive come to accept that i got enough with 1xpci 4.0 and 1xnvme 4.0. (asus rog strix b550-e gaming).

wavetrex and Turanis like this.
  15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    Can't go wrong with B550. I have one for few months now with 3300X , perfectly stable, good memmory OC . I have Gigabyte Aurous Elite

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    It's not the same performance, but sure you can roughly treat it as if it is. Which would mean that you have a choice between the two setups from two companies who have a similar offer for similar price. As I've said, the price might seem steep if you compare it to the 3700x, because that was an amazing deal. Also the lack of non X models is kinda disappointing and also drives up the price of the overall offering. But by no means would I say that it's overpriced.

17. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Lot of complains about the price,but the performance is not there?And that 2x16MB L3 cache is a huge step ahead.
    There are looot of people who will buy an 3900X and... the mighty 3950X at the lower price.If you are a streamer (or something like that) then go ahead buy or pre-order new hardware at the highest price. :)
    (The AM5 and DDR5 will come in 2022,so dont rush,yet)

And wait for the RDNA2 tech and the first games on the newer consoles with RDNA2.You will be amazed how the games will evolve.
    Now (with this shitty y2020) all tests are made it on old and weak hw,the newer consolistic games will unleash the true power of newer graphics and multi-core Ryzen cpus. :)
    Enjoy the year 2021 and the new amazing games who will come.

18. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    Nah, the 3800X has same performance to the 9900K in everything outside of gaming. (Wins some, loses some, ties others).
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3800x_review,1.html
    The 5800X is significantly higher and bests in gaming.

19. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I don't know why its not OK when enthusiasts price out the "value" of items to make a rational decision of what to buy for themselves. Its our opinion and a lot of people actually do it, even outside of tech.

You may know people who calculate price per OZ of food for example to stretch their dollars because they have OTHER obligations before throwing down an extra 100 USD or EURO for something they may or may not use?

How does that even affect those who want to or can toss extra money because they can, are fanboys or have epeen envy?

We're all guessing on the value now. There are no official reviews. We are just staging out funds to get something based on our means.

If you are making insane money during the pandemic to not care, good for you. Some of us live in countries where VAT, import tax, GST, exchange rates and other factors affect the actual final price so we need to be mindful of that.

Look at how Canadians and Australians comment (complain) on how an extra 50 USD translates to nearly an extra 100 local currency after VAT + GST + exchange rate.

Take your USD privilege somewhere else.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    icedman and Repo Man like this.
  20. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    The more I look at it I realise 5k series basically barely matches intel 10k performance per core.
    Even in the real 3D render environment presented by them, it barely scales core vs core with Intel (16 vs 10 cores).
    Granted, you get more cores into one package and lower consumption but performance wise, they're behind.

And this is 5950x that boosts up to 4,9GHz I imagine a 5800x is doing worse.

[​IMG]