1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Ryzen 3000 with 12 and 16 cores will be coming as well

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Sapphire Tri-x

But wouldn't they also need extra pins for more cores too(if they add the second chiplet)?

2. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    No, all the communication between the cores goes over the fabric and not the motherboard.

Think of it like this; whenever something needs to communicate with the CPU (discrete GPU, storage etc.) it sends information to the generic "CPU" through established channels (PCIe, memory traces, rear IO but all ultimately motherboards traces). These devices don't have direct channels to a specific CPU core, that gets sorted out within the CPU fabric itself.

Consider that Threadripper went from 16 to 32 cores on the same socket for example, or how Epyc is moving to 64 cores on the same socket (IIRC?) as well.

Picolete likes this.
  3. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RTX 2080
    Like i said the only difference would be the higher bandwidth (from quad channel) and PCIe lanes and as for the TR 8 core it sold terribly because there was no real need for it because of the cost of the platform, thats why no Zen+ 8 core TR. If you are falking out almost as much for a motherboard than the CPU that reduces the value of the platform significantly.

Zen 2 TR3 will be different however as that would have 24, 32 48 and 64 cores. Intill then AMD will have to tread carefully as to not wipe out their existing TR line up. So i would expect higher core count Ryzen 3000 to come later. The warning you will see just before release would be TR CPU prices being slashed to clear inventory before being released.

Any way further to the other questions and the IO chip, i suspect they have moved to a separate IO chip to remove the burden of the integrated memory controller, what that means is higher clock speeds without impacting the memory controller which would then run asynchronous rather than being synced with the CPU. Typically with Ryzen the higher you pushed the CPU speed the worse memory speeds can be achieved.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    8-core TR was a relatively inexpensive way for people to get into the X399 platform. It wasn't expected to sell massively - it was for those small number of customers who wanted the expansive IO and/or lanes but didn't need the computing power of a 12 or 16-core chip (e.g., those running a file/media server or a multi-GPU AI/ML rig).

As a X399 customer myself, I don't see 16-core Ryzen 9s threatening TR, especially now that 32 cores are supported (and possibly more). X399 offers more memory capacity (8 slots vs 4) with double the bandwidth and a lot more lanes, and also supports higher TDP chips (better VRMs/thermals). I personally don't use much IO (and only two GPUs) but it's a lot more flexible and expandable than a typical consumer Ryzen system. There's more to HEDT than just core counts.

As I said before, a 16-core Ryzen 9 might make 8 and 12-core TRs redundant, but 16 to 32 core parts will be just fine.