AMD Ryzen 2700X 50th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Apr 16, 2019.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Seems AMD it's preparing for the festivities of their celebration 50th anniversary beginning with a Ryzen 2700x 50th anniversary edition to be released on May 1st , 2019.

This reminds me of the Black editions / Tweakers edition AMD cpus from the past :) so i expect very highly binned low voltage higher clocks from them ( Jut thinking out loud here ok ). It seems AMD is about to get the ball rolling on May 1st , 2019 following by the launch of AMD Ryzen 3xxx cpus on June , approaching fast and ready to rock and roll AMD is gearing up for the new release.

Thanks to @Dayman58 on Twitter who found and posted this new information.

Source: https://twitter.com/Dayman58/status/1117905358469705728

[​IMG]

Keitosha and Embra like this.
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I wonder if Intel will offer 9900K for exchange. AKA: 8086k

Clawedge and chispy like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    While this is a nice idea (PR wise), I wonder if they're after cleaning Ryzen 2000 stocks.

cryohellinc and chispy like this.
  4. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    7nm 2700X. Make it available before Zen 2 launches, good PR, increase the hype.

chispy likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Nice release but I guess most are still waiting for the 3000 series which should be a few month away?

Keitosha, fantaskarsef and chispy like this.
  6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Cross fingers for something really special and memorable:) , please make it a 4.5Ghz Ryzen 2700x 50th anniversary like the old Tweakers Black Edition cpus.

Netherwind likes this.
  7. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    This move is at least curious, after AMD mocked Intel for their Anniversary Edition.

chispy likes this.
  8. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Just saw 50th Anniversary RX 590- so maybe AMD just gonna change the "Look/Appearance" of limited number of their current products to emphasize the "50 Anniversary"?
    IMO the Real Limited edition CPU will be the new 7nm 16C Part that will make a joke from 9900K.

Killian38 and chispy like this.
  9. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    I don't think so - more like some special engraving and maybe a letter signed by the CEO like Intel did with their anniversary edition...

chispy likes this.
  10. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Nvidia will be the next to jump on board with this idea. You will get a 30th Anniversary gpu with a miniature leather jacket embedded in lucite.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't really remember AMD mocking Intel over the 8086k. I do remember them offering a Threadripper 1950X in exchange for people who won that sweepstakes event, as a way to steal Intel's thunder, but that's about as far as they went.

But, I do see your point. It will be interesting if Intel retaliates in a similar fashion.

chispy likes this.
  12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    7nm Zen+ would be a complete waste of money and R&D unless they intend to delay Zen 2.

No point doing the R&D required for a node shrink for a product that will be extremely limited, they'd never make their money back.

chispy likes this.
  13. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    WRONG! They've been selling (and keeping stock) of the Radeon 7 for a couple months now. Its a HUGE (compared to Ryzen ) 7nm die. To be able to do that, yields have to be very, very good. Manufacturing a small Ryzen die for R3000 is very easy compared to doing one for Vega 20.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You clearly have no idea what you're talking about lol

Vega 20 was shrunk for the Radeon Instinct MI50 and MI60. Radeon VII is a byproduct of that. If AMD had never planned the MI50 and MI60, they would not create one GPU with a brand new node technology, you can't make your money that way.

In fact the fact we have the Radeon VII implies they couldn't get their money back with the MI50 and MI60 as well.

And there have been multiple times the Radeon VII has not been in stock, newegg for instance pulled the whole page for the Radeon VII for awhile due to not having a single one in stock, so to state that yields have to be "very very good" on a GPU that is too expensive in the first place, not many people are buying, yet runs out of stock, doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    airbud7 and chispy like this.
  15. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    What will Intel retaliate with?...;)

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Fair point - after all, their stock is limited so it's not like they can do a giveaway.

waltc3 likes this.
  17. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    The 50th Anniversary stuff is just a marketing campaign, that's all it is. I thought it was interesting to see "50th" as for the last 20 years I've heard, "AMD is going belly up--AMD is all but dead, etc." on a regular basis from various clueless folks here and there. Or else there were the "Intel or nVidia are going to buy AMD!" rumors. Ironic that it wasn't until AMD launched the Athlon and the A64, handily besting Intel for a couple of years, that those rumors began in earnest...;)

18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I'd bet it's just cherry picked 2700x's with slightly better clocks than the normal chip. And maybe a slight price drop also.

Also a way to get rid of 2700x stocks.

19. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    I have no idea what Im talking about?? You just spewed a bunch on nonsense that has nothing to do with yields. THEY ARE MASS PRODUCING 331 square mm dies homie, you can buy one now if you please. Ryzen 3000 dies are going to be way under 100 square mm (approx 75sq mm), hence there is absolutely no problem with yields. Apple is MASS PRODUCING their newest iphones with 7nm TSMC chips. That is an order of magnitude more silicon than Ryzen 3k will be. Again, no problem with yields. You pulled that straight out of your bum, just admit it.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This is what i'm hoping for the last hurray from Ryzen+ going out with a bang ! :)