AMD Ryzen 14nm Wafer Yields Pass 80% - Threadripper CPUs on track

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 19, 2017.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    UM...this is exactly what we are waiting on from Bios development. Ryzen benefits from higher clocked ram. The rest of the argument is ok but then one needs to take into account how long they are going to keep the psu as over time its maximum output drops. What was overkill in the beginning will be perfect down the road. Plus a psu's best efficiency is around 50-75% load. So that extra 25% dose serve a purpose. General broad sweeping statements like this just sound good. Sheep will be sheep and will always be lead by their noses. A fool and his money are soon parted...Welcome to business 101. Informed consumers are its bane.

"Money is good for nothing unless you know the value of it by experience.”
    -- P. T. Barnum

People make errors and then learn from them.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Haha I actually like RGB, but usually that is the one thing that every gaming part has as a "major feature." It's cool, but it's not needed like a good fan is for a cooler.

My K&N stickers on my car and my bike proves this!

3. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Eagle
    I might agree with you on some points, but...
    You are forgetting that there might be more reasons why someone opts for a more expensive board, cooler or PSU.
    For me example, I went with C6H because it offered more SATA and USB ports and at same time possibility to add Wifi/BT card without affecting GPU performance.
    Could I get cheaper board? Yes, but at cost of performance and additional cost elsewhere (addition cards like HBA, Wifi...)

Same can be said about PSU and coolers. You can get one that is cheaper and close to your maximum usage, but... At cost of more noise and potential problems in future when you add more devices or your PSU efficiency drops.

My computer runs *SCAM-SCAM-SCAM*, sitting about 1m from our bed and it's fine only because of its little bit overkill in cooling and PSU.
    If I had the option to place it elsewhere I might go cheaper, but unfortunately, I don't and I am happy to stay bellow 28 decibels until extreme load.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    But I like my Roccat mouses with RGB and blinking stuff... No, I actually like that mouse for its great many features like macros/button config stored in mouse, and absolutely no acceleration :)
    That lighting is just tiny bonus.

But when it gets to lighting and RGB, I would love to have those LED bars behind monitor which shine at wall based on what is on screen.
    (To extend perceived space, and put less stress on eyes during night play.)

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I don´t mind the lights and they look "cool" sometimes. My MB and GPU have them although i didn´t buy them because of it.
    What i find funny is the emphasis hardware makers put on it, making you feel that if your hardware doesn´t have RGB them it sucks hard and you should trow it in the garbage and buy something with lots of lights...

BTW, my MB continues to use RGB after i turn off the computer, is this normal? I know there´s software to control the lights but i still haven´t installed any...

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    True, but when I see full RGB lighting and headers in motherboards without a bios switch (an out of my head example), then...

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    There should be a bios setting that tells it to turn off when the pc is off. The setting is located under Onboard Devices, labeled RGB LED Lighting, on the AM4 board am using.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    More people will use RGB lighting than a BIOS switch on a motherboard. (Besides most boards have a BIOS flash back option)

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's what makes it sad :)

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Meh. Most people don't even know they can update their BIOS.