AMD RX Vega Shown Against GTX 1080 at Budapest Event

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    From what i've read, the AMD system had FreeSync, and the Nvidia System had Gsync.
    Someone summised that Gsync monitors are about $200 more expensive than Freesync, so that would leave about $100 difference in price for the card.
    they were supposed to be identical systems, apart from the monitor tech, and the GPU's.

2. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    The GPU does useful computation in addition to its waste heat. The heater consumes 400W and only produces heat.

Waste heat from datacenters in cold countries is often actually used for heating buildings and even entire towns. Whats your point?

3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
  4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sourced by nuclear fusion? How generous of you./..

How about something that is in actual use? Like a fossil fuel power station.
    And suddenly your 9.6kWh GPU becomes 32kWH of the actual fuel consumed. Or 1/3 of the ****ing car LOL

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    One does this kind of even when

- They can't compete with the competitor's products.
    - "Our product is just as good in practice. Even though it's slower you don't notice the difference."
    - Adaptive sync makes things much harder to spot the difference.
    - If it would have been faster they would have shown real numbers.
    - They used GTX 1080 which means that it's no where near GTX 1080 Ti. If they did use GTX 1080 Ti it doesn't really change much.

Vega might be decent architecture for APUs but it seems to have serious scalability issues. Either AMD should start to rethink their approach when it comes to keeping GCN alive forever or they should just ditch GloFo until 7nm process is ready. On top of that RTG's marketing team does just ridiculous things. "Poor volta" :puke2: Seems like that's going to bite in their ass.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  6. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Someone mentioned that other site, the one that starts with*** Just like to clarify one thing-- yes, it is the "National Inquirer" of hardware news.

BUTT-- the comments section is so over the top ridiculous its what keeps me going back, like its something you feel really guilty about doing but just cant quit. :stewpid:

Seriously, you could just grab some beer and go straight to the comments and laugh for an hour over *most* of the comments there.....

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Vega is turning more and more disappointing.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    For once stick to the question plx, instead of stumbling all over the place :)
    Me, I am the quiz master. You provide the answer, OK?

RX is not even out yet,
    but these geniuses over at AMD marketing are doing their best to **** it up. In the end it doesn't matter too much.

Once reviews hit the web, all that we know so far will be (insert Blade Runner quote) ...lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

9. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Youre not the master of **** dude. Get a clue plz

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Plx...don't queue if you're not gonna play the quiz

Thx

11. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Wattage is Wattage. If its a 400W its obviously the same as a 400W heater in terms of heating... It even comes with a blower to blow the heat around the room!

12. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I thought I'd wait for Vega until I saw the power consumption and performance and then I didn't care any longer for the price
    I went and bpught a 1080 before prices spiked because of mining and couldn't be happier.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Good answer. So true. All of it.

Sadly, that was not the question

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I feel like Vega's launch has been marred by a number of different factors. I wonder how different it would have looked if this thing launched in Q1 before the 1080Ti, before Volta's announcement. I also wonder what it would look like if it was manufactured by TSMC.

Last year we had so many rumors that it would be launching around Q4/Q1 - then the HBM2 delay rumors started coming. Then the 1080Ti launched at a price no one was expecting at 35% increased performance over the 1080. And now Volta specs are in the wild casting a shadow on Vega's launch as well.

Just seems like a lot of stuff went wrong and I wonder how much the decision to use HBM2 factored into any potential delay.

15. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    TDP isnt usually the absolute maximum Wattage of a chip though. It depends on how the manufacturer calculates TDP for their chips, so the actual Wattage in a worst case scenario and the TDP of x processor can be different numbers.

It varies from vendor to vendor and even chip line to chip line from the same vendor.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You could make a turd look good with those babes in front!...

[​IMG]

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Why are you bringing up absolute maximum Wattage of a chip? I never mentioned it.
    No one cares that Fury X spikes to 430 Watt.

1ms power readings are thermally insignificant, and power and thermal wise they cancel out with 1ms power drops

What's important is a maximum sustained power usage.

18. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    If someone calls it a "400W GPU" then they're saying it has a 400W TDP, right?

If so, that's an issue of semantics, not power consumption measurement.

19. Olievlekje

Olievlekje Member

GPU:
    290x / 4gb
    Who cares how mutch watt it takes to power these one`s no one will ever see one if these things do ok in crypto mining.

just like the illustrious RX580

20. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    LOL AIDA64 is from Budapest. And that 580 crossfire result is what RX Vega should be capable of with the right drivers...I don't know if AMD are sandbagging or struggling with drivers atm, but that level of performance should be inside that Vega chip somewhere or better: somewhen.