Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Kuss, Jun 16, 2016.
AMD RX 480 or keep 290x?
If the performance is similar or a little slower, there's no point.
I'm personally waiting for a single card that beats my cards. There's currently any.
I'd rather keep my 290x. The performance difference is gonna be so low that it just
won't be worth it.
Worst case scenario, you'll have new card = new warranty.
It is going to be mostly side grade. But it eats less energy = makes less heat.
r9-290x were not great OCers, maybe RX-480 will OC better as some weird things float around, so it may actually be even upgrade.
Edit: And yeah, you are going to have that blissful feeling of having something new to play with.
its a bit of a tough call for 290 owners.....prior to that its a easy choice.
I'll get 1070 soon.
You're looking at a side-grade at best, save more and opt for a 1070 (or equivalent) as a minimum if you want an upgrade. The second hand market for 980ti's is also pretty healthy at the moment, the majority still being under warranty is also a plus.
I have a R9 390 which gives me a VR score of 6.8 (stock clocks on cpu/gpu).. According to that AMD slide RX480 gets 6.3 score.
Which means that RX480 performance is below 290X... Still costs $200 or more.
So basically it's 290 (not X) with less power consumption.
Wait two weeks and ask again!
Yes and you can add: Full DX12 (now its just DX12 )
Cuz' Polaris have all Features in it, even the 12_1 etc.
And it will be BIG Upgrade :nerd: if go for XFX Black OC or Sapphire TOXIC :thumbup:
But wait for Hilbert Review.
Wait for a 300$ card if you want an upgrade...that's for sure!
Until now there is no feature announced that you will miss with your 290x.
you'd expect a 20fps difference or 18fps in your games... if its used in emulators like dolphin. expect a big jump in performance..i personally wouldnt buy the early cards i'd wait for the $300 cards like the beast versions mentioned with 2 power connectors 6pin and 8 pin..i think the first batch on june 29th will use a single 6 pin connector..
ive got a crappy r9 270.. with that being said i know to wait for the version thats aimed to retail around the $300 mark with performance that can be R9 fury x
or you can sell the r9 290x on ebay for $150 then put towards the purchase of new 480x with a fresh 2 or 3 year warranty then throw another in for future multi gpu support
if i was you i'd do the ebay thing
i read somewhere AIB cards were shiping and going to be received this weekend.
They may be available day one.
LM2014: Thats a bit odd. Are you Saberwolf? send him a PM and ask whats up. It happens occasionally, Hilbert has infracted me twice by accident, and reversed both.
Although you may be infracted for posting the same thing in 3 threads completely off topic.
Hmm ok great ty peeps
Yeah keep the 290X
Sell the 290X and buy the RX 480. Now all the "Features" in the new card is up-to-date.
I'd wait for Vega.
I'll wait 'till GCN Gen 5 :leave:
Why the sad face?
I would do it, if it cost me £50 max. Any more than that, no, it's a sidegrade if you're lucky. Also, I'd wait for the 3rd party cards, the reference blower is loud and the card runs hot.