1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD responds to FX line negativity!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by maleficarus™, Oct 14, 2011.

1. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
  2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480 8GB
    Bulldozer turned out to be a bullrider instead. High power requirement, jumpy performance and eventually the reality of hitting the ground.

Come to think of it, bulldozers are kind of slow so...

High power requirement and slow. Yeah, it's a bulldozer alright.

AMD needs to develop the cheetah instead.

3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Drama much?

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm a realist. It's the biggest failure in the history of modern CPUs, bar none. Netburst seems like a great success in comparison considering it had the lead over the competition for a brief moment.

They matched their own P2 X6... that's what took them 6 years to do. Am I the only one who's stunned at this?

5. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    LOL a realist? No you are an overly dramatic person that has really no realistic sense on hardware. If you were real BD wouldn't even bother you in the least. Matter of fact if you were even remotely realistic about this, you would be content knowing AMD is on PAR with Intel more or less. That is real. What you are doing is the exact opposite of real. Being overly dramatic about this is immature to say the least. Now, why not grow up a bit then come back and have an adult discussion?

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Everything I wrote is very real, it matches a P2 X6, it's the biggest failure in CPU history. Why are you raging so much over AMD's disgusting, miserable, pathetic failure?

They created the biggest failure in CPU history, literally, we're all disappointed, deal with it.

7. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    You would make a great reporter for the national enquirer. You know the dramatic soup opera magazine at the checkout line?

Seriously you need to chill out and just relax....

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Actually I thought my humour would make you chill out, it didn't seem to work.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    hows via chips these days

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I was laughing actually lol

12. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    That's why I decided not to buy it. It would be better to just buy Thuban instead, and that wouldn't be very much of an upgrade from a Phenom II x3. Therefore, I ended up picking the i7 2600k.

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Pretty much only found in industrial applications these days.

And let's all face it, we all knew that Bulldozer was most likely a massive flop from the moment AMD refused to reveal any benchmarks or leak some chips. AMD and Intel do both when their chips are very high performers as it drives the stock up in anticipation.

And it's pretty sad to see AMD's stock dropping through the roof since the release of Bulldozer; from a high of 5.02 to right now 4.90 and falling.:

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=AMD

And the worst part is that AMD really shot itself in the foot when it comes to yields. Ignoring for a second the current GloFo troubles, just look at the die size and transistors:

And they chose to make all the Bulldozer's the same, using the 8 module as a base and disabling several modules to make a FX-4xxx for example. There is no way they can even start to play a pricing game with Intel.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That says they're down 39.85% from a year ago to the day... it's all downhill from here.

Edit: 2 billion transistors... holy ****. I thought it was a joke when I first heard that. No wonder it takes a nuclear power plant when OC'd.

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well over the past five years they are down nearly 77%, and over the past six months they are down 40.5%.

On the other hand, in the past five days Intel has gone up 5.5%; which is horrible news to the competitor when they launch their new product and the stock still goes up. 11.5% increase on the year-to-date, and plus 10% on the five years with the last six months showing an 18.3% increase.

I think we know here who's the safe bet for investors.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Don't mind him, he has a mental handicap.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I got 1
    Another Meager Display

18. slimething

slimething New Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GV-R928XOC-3GD
    My meager 720 BE with 4th core unlocked (never unlocked previously) ran BF3 beta fine at all high settings and highest resolution; average 50+ FPS according to FRAPS. In ULTRA, 44 FPS but it did dip into the 30's quite a bit. Some say the beta was not fully optimized for ULTRA, but whatever. It was oc'd to 3200 (HOT with stock hs/fan).

I recently purchased a Hyper 212 EVO hs/fan and after some tweaking can oc to 3600 @1.52v at a cool 44c, but the beta shut down before I could test it further. I was a bit worried about bottle necking the gpu, but thus far I'll wager when the BF3 retail comes out, I'll be able to run comfortably at High settings. We shall see.

Personally, I'm no AMD/Intel fanboy, but when I first built this setup (sans the HD 6970, was a 4870 until I bricked it), it was about $150-200 less than the Intel and has served me well. I mean, why swat a fly with a sledge hammer? If it works, don't fix it I always say :)

I run games in virtual desktop BTW.

19. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Sounds like they're garbage transistors that don't do anything. All that and it can't even beat a processor with less than half that amount.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I see a bigger problem ahead for AMD than just BD. Momentum. Intel just plows on with newer, better, more efficient designs (with their own fabs and vast resources). AMD is in danger of falling behind the curve since they are not as well equipped as Intel to successfully execute their designs. Its ironic that AMD chose earth moving machinery (Bulldozer, Pile driver, Excavator) as their naming scheme for upcoming CPUs. Will they be digging themselves deeper holes with each design?