AMD Reports Fourth Quarter and Annual 2019 Financial Results

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2020.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    You said RTX accounts for 66% of all Nvidia GPUs sales, making it seem like most Nvidia customers are choosing RTX (for RT). I'm simply saying that Nvidia customers who want a certain level of performance have no other option than RTX. If there were variants of the 20xx cards without RTX then we might see what the real value of RTX is among customers - my guess, very little.

As I stated before here and elsewhere, raytracing may be the future but that future is a very long way away. As for DLSS, that's nothing more than a bad joke.

2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    You clearly haven't seen DLSS in Wolfenstein.

Maddness and Anarion like this.
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I'd honestly like to see someone go back and retest DLSS on older games. Part of the selling point was that it would constantly be updated via drivers over time to improve quality. I'd like to see someone do tests with launch drivers for DLSS games vs now and see if any quality improvements were made. I know newer DLSS implementations are way better but the originals like BF5 should have improved over time as well - at least according to nvidia's marketing.

4. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Nobody knows for certain, but I hope AMD does not do anything half assed. It is possible Big Navi will be RNDA1 with a beefed up compute architecture to do RT, and RDNA2 introducing the new architecture required for future implementations of new features (RT, VRS, Mesh Shaders, etc..) found in DX12.

Edit: Some clarifications from AMD. Lisa Su reference to "refresh" means adding to the product stack, not next-gen (RDNA2) products.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amds-navi-to-be-refreshed-with-next-gen-rdna-architecture-in-2020

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020

5. Borys

Borys Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    2019 = AMD WINS! And smash Intel
    2020 = PC CPU Market Share - AMD = 80% / Intel = 20%

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Yeah, it's actually really impressive in that game.

7. Mesab67

Mesab67 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    According to the AMD earnings conference yesterday...

"To the investment community, "refresh" has a somewhat different meaning that typically refers to completely new products.
    In the context of Su's statement, it doesn't appear that she was referencing a "refreshed" lineup of Navi cards analogous to the tech community's typical understanding of the term. Instead, we will see new products based on the next-gen RDNA architecture come to market, ostensibly to address the high end of the GPU market (Big Navi). "

...looking indeed like RDNA2 in 2020.

Maddness likes this.
  8. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX 480
    I had a feeling big Navi was going to be RDNA 2, probably on 7nm +

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070

i agree "big navi" will have a newer uArch and i don't doubt that at all