AMD Reports Fourth Quarter and Annual 2019 Financial Results

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    SpajdrEX, moo100times, Embra and 3 others like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It just keeps on getting better. They are certainly on a roll atm.

Embra likes this.
  3. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Guess the stock market was expecting just a little more out of them as shares have taken a bit of a drop. However considering the price has doubled this last 12 months don't feel too sorry for them.

RooiKreef and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Looking good.

5. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Time to buy more then.

6. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I was actually looking at the exact same thing. AMD want's to lift their price too quick. Yes they can ask more because they make good products currently, but remember where they came from. People don't forget so quick and there is still a lot of people to convince that your products doesn't suck anymore or have issues with heat and premature failure. You can't make a few good products and overnight ask basically the same price as your biggest competitor.
    In the CPU space AMD is asking basically the same price as Intel (mainstream and high end) and on the GPU side I do believe AMD is actually more expensive in some scenarios. Just look at the 2060 vs 5600XT - Price difference is literally $20 for similar performance yet the 2060 offers so much more on a hardware level (AI and RTX). The 5700 yet again is $399 compare that to the $249 RX580 from one and a half years ago. Both cards have a similar power demand and the die size is basically the same, yet you charging almost double the price??? If you look at the 5700 vs 2070 then you will see clearly that for the same $399 you get a card from Nvidia that is on the same performance level, yet offer you hardware level AI and RTX. I think AMD is chasing money a tad too quick and it's just a matter of time before people realize it.
    This is just my two cents and take it with a grain of salt. I really want to see AMD succeed, but man I can see them starting to play a dangerous game.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    My only surprise is that the Epyc impact seems to be very small, i thought companies would be all over it by now...

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Not surprising to me. The data center is slow to change as they are an extremely conservative bunch. Ever since the initial roadmap came out I expected the big adoption to be Zen3 based EPYC's. Somewhat just due to time in the market so everyone can see AMD is here to stay which has been a real concern before. The other part is to learn from the huge players like Amazon and let them sort out any platform issues. When Zen 3 lands Intel will still be 6 months or more away from trying to compete with 10nm+ and so AMD should win on every single aspect even lightly threaded workloads.

schmidtbag likes this.
  9. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Strong positive news from amd with a good focus on continued debt reduction. Next 2 years look to have some significant growth improvement with laptop, next gen consoles and further server uptake materialising. I am assuming server uptake is slower as generally speaking they are big undertakings.

As for amd cost, good product is good product. Phone manufacturers that aren't as popular as Apple iPhone also have their own flagships selling for similar amounts of money. Currently 5700 is almost price of 5600xt here in UK, so looks like the whole mid to high end mainstream segment is simply getting crowded. Not seen 5700 compete with 2070 personally, even locally 5700xt online appears cheaper than a 2070 classic, let alone a super.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I find it interesting that Navi is getting refreshed this year. Wonder if they are releasing RT variants for 5700/5600.

11. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Rumor is that RT variants may only appear for enthusiast cards though hopefully should know more at AMD's Analyst day.

12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    Lisa was hinting as much during call. two sku's of "big navi" aka next gen RDNA
    seriously doubt RT below those two sku's. no real demand from the market for RT, despite what Nvidia is hyping. RT is not being applied to all types of games which limit it's appeal considerably. and with the focus on quick twitch first person shooters you are dropping frames per second to use RT, even if you can get an "acceptable" result of 60 fps+ on monitor/gpu combo.

moo100times and warlord like this.
  13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    AMD picking up the pace, although progress is still rather slow (especially in the server space). It's good that they were able to pay down much of their debt though.

It's a regular pump-and-dump scheme. The market bids up the price of AMD massively and dumps it when earnings come out (I've pretty much come to expect it at this point). Short-term noise should be ignored.

tunejunky likes this.
  14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I would disagree but you are entitled to your opinion. If that was true then there would be no need to advertise and include RT in net-gen consoles, and previous quarter RTX card sales should be down instead of accounting for 66% of all nvidia GPU sales.

15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    May the JHH force be with you.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    People aren't buying RTX cards for RT. Aside from the 1660, it's basically the only option right now.

moo100times and tunejunky like this.
  17. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    thank you and exactly.
    RT wasn't even on my mind with my 2070.

RT is a gimmick that soon may be more, but for now it's still a marketing gimmick.
    and the only reason the consoles are getting RT is my initial point about RT being restricted (by devs) to first person shooters. and CoD et al are extremely popular.
    there is a bigger budget for advertising CoD than by Nvidia for RT, most likely in the range of a factor of two.

18. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    People do have competitor products as another option especially if RT is a "marketing gimmick", but not many switching for the sake avoiding RT's higher price.
    No doubt RT is here to stay, and with continued improvements with DLSS algorithms (ie, Deliver us the Moon) will become more relevant for the mid-lower price points.

19. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    According to Ryan Smith at Anandtech RDNA2 will be a new architecture and I doubt "Big Navi" will include any next gen architectural elements. It seems more a stop-gap product to tide over sales till RDNA2 arrives, primarily targeting people with lots of disposable income .

Ryan Smith@Anandtech

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I assumed Big Navi is RNDA2 and the Navi refresh will bring Navi stuff to RDNA2?