AMD reponds to Ryzen 5000 desktop processor shortages

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Only valid reason for AMD now (if you consider Zen2 for exmaple) is that platfrom is more future proof , you can get cheap quad core , and later replace with powerfull 5600/5900X (once prices settle ) . You can't go wrong with B550

Also don't forget 10600kf , which is aroudn 250 EUR here , just 30-40 eur more than 3600 , and it can easily dominate 3600 when overclocked my wide margin.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I disagree that you can call this a paper launch as a lot of people actually got their hands on a CPU, especially the 5600X. What's not too great is that the stores should have better information on incoming batches from suppliers which in their turn should get more info from AMD.

However you could blame AMD for releasing three big products almost at the same time (5000-series CPU, 6000-series GPU and the PS5 & XBSX/S chips. One can guess that TSMC is quite busy with AMD and will be so for a long time.

I guess that estimating demand is tricky and judging by the stock shortage we can say with confidence that AMD misjudged the situation...or that they didn't believe in the product as much as we would...or that too many last minute changes were made meaning production started too late before reveal...or that TSMC doesn't run at full capacity due to staff shortage, who knows!

I feel that nVidias 3000 series launch is way worse that this launch if there is stock incoming at the end of this month as some have said.

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. Litoportugal

Litoportugal Guest

GPU:
    Msi 290x 8gb 2x
    Hi a list is positioned 200 i am on position 1000 plus, i order my 5 mints after 14h00 pm.. I will see my cpu next year.:(

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think AMD can't care less about price of older products just now as it would start a price war, AMD can't win.

2600X costs just a bit under 10400f and provides mostly same value. (Except when one utilizes AVX2.) And yes, that thing is still unsold. I think AMD does not feel pressure to sell older CPUs as they can do that over time when people with 300 boards want upgrade.
    Everyone will pick whatever suits them in price range.

3600 is definitely not magical choice unless one really can use that extra AVX2. Then it is reasonably priced. But for casual budget gaming, who cares... all can deliver 60~75fps.

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    try ordering from other country seems central and east of europe has more stock.
    In Poland there are confired big batches in folling weeks , so sure no next year .

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Right now there will be almost nothing under the xmass tree due to shortage in everything (due to covid and the frontrier closed) not from money missing...
    So personaly i will see later :)

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    2600X is worst option of them all , costing 140 eur , can't be compared to 10400f in gaming performance at all.
    You could get 1600 AF (all sold out , good luck with that) , which is almost the same thing, but Ryzen 3100 will provide almost same performance at bit lower cost .

edits. still possible to get 1600AF at 117 EUR ( its 99% same as 2600X).

8. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    i preorder my ryzen 5 5600x on the 4nov on amazon and got it on the 5th i did say on guru 3d so u could get it before bots knew about it

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thing is all 6C/12T CPUs provide same experience for budget gamer who likely does not have more than 75Hz screen. 3100 was problematic CPU from start and kind of suffers on some newer games.

In Hilbert's CPU testing (720p), practically all Zen and recent intel's CPUs delivered more than 100fps. If something lagged behind, it was 4C/4T even at same clock. That tells risk of stutter as CPU would have all cores running 100%. (I know that well from the past.)

And as I wrote, 2600X has AVX2 downside. Which makes its value scenario based. While 10400f does not have such issue. So, no reason to contest your statement there.

10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Which problems 3100 has ? I have 3300X i can 100% say there isnt any problems also they overclock very well , compared to rest of the stack .

It's not about "experience" its about $/Performance . Thats it . I dont care for "experience" as this cant be measured :)

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    3100 has 2 CCXses within 2 separate CCDs. 3300X has one CCX within one CCD. So no matter what 3100 does, there is latency penalty for any thread syncing. And games need that today. If you paired your CPU with top of the line GPU and became CPU limited, you would still have quite good fps on average, but stutter would become very apparent.
    For 3100, it is like nightmare.

I used to have i5-2500K@4.5GHz which was superb as long as it lasted, but then games came which did need more cores. Those started to stutter unless fps was limited under lowest fps game had. So while Game could still average around 90~100fps, I had to limit fps to 65~75.

Suddenly, benchmark vs reality became very different. And currently, there are games which often suffer on any 4C CPUs or even on CPUs that do not have full AVX2.
    People with older intel's & AMD's CPUs have like 15~25fps in Conqueror's Blade siege Battles. And that's game optimized by intel which uses nVidia's graphical technologies.

That's why I agree with you that 2600X is not good value proposition, while it is still an option. But disagree that 3100 is good option. Budget gamer would likely want to have CPU able to deliver reasonable fps 2~4 years after purchase.
    Today, truly, people should aim at that 10400F if they can or better.

12. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Yes, you are 100% correct, however, there are some of us that are trying to buy components in order to make money, some of us actually have a budget we have to adhere to and can't just fork out double because of their greed. Yet here we are, where they could have helped, they are all screwing us, scalpers or not. They are all charging way more than they should, people are pissed, for a good reason, a content creator or programmer stuck on old hardware have it bad, these components can put food on the table or the very least help take our minds of all the crap going on.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This kind of statements reeks of PR bullshit instead of being remotely sincere. I think that AMD and Nvidia had serious trouble building the necessary stocks, because of Covid, but they don´t want to admit it because they didn´t want to miss this release window.

So they released their products knowing that the stock available was not enough, specially in Nvidia´s case, that´s so ridiculous it´s hard to believe...

In Portugal there´s some availability of the 5800x, starting at 462€ and that´s it. Yesterday there was a 5600x at 306€ but it´s already gone...
    The 59xx CPUs simply don´t exist...

Also, i wish companies would quantify when they say stuff like "we shipped tons of processors". Those tons correspond to how many CPU´s: Hundreds? Thousands? Ten thousands?...

Good thing i don´t need to build a new rig otherwise...

P.S. I hope this doesn´t have any effect on Guru´s christmas contest...

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not really, because 20% isn't that bad for a highly-sought high-tech product (especially if you're accounting for scalpers) and it's not like you need the product on launch day. More units are being pumped out, so it's not like whatever was available is all that will ever be.
    So let me get this straight:
    Even though plenty of people were able to order and some units are in-stock in many stores, the fact it wasn't available in your preferred store (despite others in your country ostensibly having stock) makes it a paper launch? That's a rather egocentric perspective. By that logic, that's like Seat releasing a new car, only available to Spain, and you call it a "paper launch" because other countries in the EU don't get access to it, and because Volkswagen dealerships aren't able to sell it.
    That's not how paper launches work, whether you're going by the literal or the "evolved" definition.

sykozis likes this.
  15. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    20% for me its a pretty bad planning and/or demand guessing.

Did not find stock in any store on launch day, today, sotck is still is non existent for all 5000 chips.

In my case, i waited for "my store" to told me if they had stock or not then checked the other stores, all 5900 were gone in less than 1 min.

Im starting to think that the right move for the next launch is preordering in 4 or 5 stores an resell them at ebay once i got some of them to actually be shipped.

16. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I'd say it's a paper launch for the 5900x and 5950x. Some bigger retailers still don't have any 5xxx cpu's. The two in Finland that got 5900x and 5950x had them sold out in seconds. I tried getting one(5900x) had my order complete by 16.01(received confirmation email then, went on sale 16.00), by that time they were sold out. Now I'm on a indefinite wait.

Gigantti and Power(big retailers) won't get their first shipments of any Ryzen 5000 series untill mid december.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    How simple do you think it is to manufacture a processor? Either you get 20% stock on launch day or you delay the official launch day. In both cases, you're still going to run out of stock and you're still going to wait, so, what difference does it make? The only difference is with the approach they took, some people are getting products.
    AMD can't wait forever. The longer they go without launching, the closer Intel gets to releasing a competitive product.
    Same goes for Nvidia - they know AMD has something competitive, so if they delayed their launch, they'd lose potential sales.
    If you don't mind being part of the problem, yeah, definitely.

Fox2232 likes this.
  18. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    just got my highest overclock on ryzen 5 5600x i did 46 multiplier and fsb to 103 gave me 4.738 at 1.3v had to increase the if to 1833 as i use 3600 ram and ran 3d marks 06 and got 76th place :)

Attached Files:

Legacy-ZA and Goiur like this.
  19. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    There are no potential sales to lose if you got no product to sale.

Ofc they cant wait forever, but its not like Intel has nothing decent on CPU side. nvidia had the 6000 series launch way sooner than amd has the next intel 11th cpu. A launch 2-3 weeks from reviews would be pretty normal and the stock available would have been much bigger, even then probably not enough, but would not dissapear from stores in 1 min.

Or maybe im just crazy. Shrug.

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Except AMD "budget cpu" never beat equivalent Intel 2yrs ago. It's not the exact opposite tbh.

What we're really seeing is a node divide, with AMD having access to the smaller node. The playing field isn't level. We can only judge based on what is available right now. It's far from an indication of what will happen once everyone is on the same node or better.