1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD removes Threadripper 3 from 2019 roadmap

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2019.

1. Mundosold

Mundosold Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 560
    They were too good of a deal especially with AMD about to pull way ahead of Xeon with Zen2. They don't have unlimited production capability after all.

Besides, you'll get more PCIe bandwidth in Ryzen 3000 which was half the reason to go TR, plus more cores.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never see Threadripper again.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    TR3 aren't dead, they just aren't ready for release in 19h2

3. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Just as someone mentioned already, my guess is that they will divert all the resources first to the DoE/Cray supercomputer contract first. Can't risk any production issues before that.

It makes some sense since they had it in the roadmap at first and then removed it when I assume they officially got the contract.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    HWgeek likes this.

5. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    OMG, poor Intel, Imagine what they gonna do with the extra TDP headroom on TR4, Moreover - since Intel went to big platform with 6ch memory with the new Xeon W lineup, I think the new X599 will go upto 8CH memory with max Boost clock at 5Ggz.

Now Intel is the new Buldozer-LOL!.

6. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Bandwidth being a by product of the number of lanes available, still doesn't deprecate Threadripper as Zen 2 threadripper would still offer more lanes just just with PCIe4. You're still limited on X570 in the number of devices with direct CPU access as I haven't seen any evidence of X570 boards offering any more connectivity by further splitting lanes. Instead we're getting new gen 4 devices to absorb the bandwidth being made available.