AMD removes Threadripper 3 from 2019 roadmap

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    TR3 aren't dead, they just aren't ready for release in 19h2

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Just as someone mentioned already, my guess is that they will divert all the resources first to the DoE/Cray supercomputer contract first. Can't risk any production issues before that.

It makes some sense since they had it in the roadmap at first and then removed it when I assume they officially got the contract.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    HWgeek likes this.
  4. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    OMG, poor Intel, Imagine what they gonna do with the extra TDP headroom on TR4, Moreover - since Intel went to big platform with 6ch memory with the new Xeon W lineup, I think the new X599 will go upto 8CH memory with max Boost clock at 5Ggz.

Now Intel is the new Buldozer-LOL!.

5. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Bandwidth being a by product of the number of lanes available, still doesn't deprecate Threadripper as Zen 2 threadripper would still offer more lanes just just with PCIe4. You're still limited on X570 in the number of devices with direct CPU access as I haven't seen any evidence of X570 boards offering any more connectivity by further splitting lanes. Instead we're getting new gen 4 devices to absorb the bandwidth being made available.