AMD Releases Ryzen Threadripper PRO, professional CPU series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra and rl66 like this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    :D So AMD basically enabled EPYC chips on TR4, since socket is same as SP3.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Wow, this news is Epyc... lol

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It used to be but since Epyc stayed on SP3 while TR have now a more modern socket it's no more TR4 but sWRX8 for those...

Fox2232 likes this.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i wonder if the 8 channel of memory have some benefits in desktop applications

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Get yours before they are out of stock, lol

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    So - the easiest question one needs to ask is:

The price difference between the 3990X and the 3995WX is roughly $1,500 - so is the 3995WX worth more than $1,500 more than the 3990X ?

What is the price performance per $ between the two chips? I doubt the percentages will add up!

I really think they have killed off their own product here, I really do. And (forgive the rant) Why is it that chip manufacturers never ever go all-in and just, launch a desktop CPU @ $$$$$$$$$$$ levels of performance? They always (seem) to go for teeny-tiny improvements with their high end deployments...

Never makes sense.

386SX likes this.
  8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    I'm just wondering who will actually use all of this cool highend stuff.

I worked several years as local IT at a global, billion dollar company in the high tech sector, designing sustainable energy solutions. The engineers were primarily working on 3-5 year old HP Zbook workstation laptops with 4th or 6th gen i7, 16gb RAM and 1 or 2gb Quadro GPUs, the minimum spec for those models. (in my last time there they upgraded to min-spec 8th gen Intel based Dell products).

The same was true for the desktop workstations, they were on Xeons, but with 32gb RAM and a 2gb Quadro GPU. All of this was min-spec configurations for the HP Z-line workstations. Having anything above the min-spec was a special request that required approval and extra budget, and we had almost none of those.

This company has a super computer for running complex simulations.

Two friends are engineers in a billion dollar company that makes complex plumbing accessories like valves and such. They use the same min-spec workstations.

I don't know if they have a super computer, but maybe.

So, that's 2 high-end tech companies designing highend solutions in complex engineering with global reach and almost all their engineers work on min-spec machines. What is the market for these highend workstations really? I'm just wondering, since I was super disappointed when I started working there and realised how low-tech everything was.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's for people who work from home and need lots of cores and threads.

Simply.

rl66 likes this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't get it... how are you supposed to take advantage of all those lanes? Are there any motherboards that are wired up for that? Or memory channels for that matter? And what separates these from Epyc chips at this point?

Well no, that's what the non-pro versions are for.

Fox2232 and Kevin Mauro like this.

11. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Small and medium-sized enterprises. Pro = the licensing & servicing benefits granted

12. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Do these have more PCIe lanes? That would make a difference in film editing and multimedia production or anywhere else where you need to move large files quickly, I suppose.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    "Boss - I need this chip for work"

"Tell IT to get it for you"

"Thanks"

---

Does it matter whose budget it comes out of? It's an IT requirement for a company, and, people working from home that have a need for lots of cores and threads is a justifiable business CAPEX because of the OPEX requirements to meet the needs of the staff who need lots of cores and threads.

You always give your staff what they need to do the job they are doing, because they themselves are a business cost.

Besides, what mostly happens is that the clients of these hypothetical companies see a few 'consultancy' charges to their invoices, and even they themselves will then just up their costs to their clients.

The employee is the last person to deal with something like how much things cost.

14. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I do not see the issue here, if your workload benefits from more ram bandwidth, this is a winner over the previous one.
    4000$ or 5100$ moves little here.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If that were the case then why not just by Epycs?
    That's like saying "the customer is always right" which is very much not the case. You give your employees the tools they need to do the job well. If the employee proves to be loyal and effective, only then could they ask for something extraordinary. If every company just gave every employee what they asked for because of "business costs", companies would go bankrupt.
    They're also the one who has to convince the higher-ups that its worth the investment.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Too late.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Totaly right, i had dual Xeon with huge memory for long time...
    Now that i work lot less a single Ryzen with 12 core is enough (i have other priority than "lot of work for lot of money" since my accident)

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Because the Epyc is not a desktop cpu, it's a server class CPU.

YES, so you agree that tools which make someone's job easier are justifiable - end of argument! Besides, the IT department would have to OK it.

WRONG - it is the IT department who advise based on any budgetary concerns. If someone's job and performance is based on the number of threads and cores they have, that is a business-justified purchase/deployment...giving a CEO a Ferrari as a company car, is not - but an executive saloon, is.

19. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    That's a good question. In the company you described, they obviously view engineers as a commodity resource so they get the minimum equipment possible. That often happens in big companies. Mine is a big company that acts in many ways like a small one. I think that's because it is privately held. Some companies have a different attitude about that, like mine does. There's a big difference though and that is out of our thousands of employees, the specific engineering group I work in has six people and engineering group for the entire company has less than thirty. We also have gigantic revenue so occasionally we can get really nice toys. The last machine they got for me had two Titan RTXs in it. The next one will have either an RTX A6000 or a 3090. They have about the same number of cores, which is what I really need, so either will be OK. Interestingly, both of those cards have more cores than the two Titans do, put together. I'm not sure which CPU it will have but the last three machines we got all had ThreadRippers. I would settle for a 5950X but we'll see.

One big market for CPUs like this are in rendering machines. ThreadRippers are great for multithreaded applications like rendering and the stuff that I do which is HPC-oriented and uses CUDA.

AlmondMan likes this.
  20. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    to me its look like amd just testing this out
    i mean such this kind of cpu, usually stay with oem
    so here they selling to public, to see how market goes

then it can also, somewhat "promoting" oem silently
    if say that many people consider oem is just overpriced junk, then they compare build themselves
    if the cost between two is not significant, then it can give effect removing "overprice" from people mind

Loobyluggs likes this.