AMD really needs to turn their driver strategy around.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, Jul 3, 2015.

1. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    I guess the nvidia side of the forum is boring at this time of the year, that the nvidia users are coming to this side and leaving their feces everywhere. Maybe i should start marking my territory over there... :banana:

2. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    I have a problem with the whole secrecy of drivers in general. We're paying customers yet there is literally no transparency on the software side of both gpu companies besides rumors and leaks. What is the incentive for this?

3. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Money, of course.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    AMD's marketshare shows there's a fault somewhere in that policy.

5. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Yep. That's why they wanted more money. Some genius from AMD decided that this is "ze way" to make more money :D I can pictured it in my head...something like, "Oh, snap...I just figured out! Let's sh*t on our clients! That's make them pay a lot more! And for the same stuff they already have and bought from us! These policy bring us more respect from our fans too! I'm so genius...OMG! I need to run for presidency! YES!" :LOL

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The thread will be closed if we continue :D

If there were logical reasons besides money making for keeping new features from older cards then sure we'd have no means to be angry, maybe a little depressed if we just bought it. Like FreeSync. I accept that first you need DP 1.2a to be able to use it, that's fine. It's the things that work on rebrands but not the cards they're rebranded from. Do AMD think we're idiots? Framelimiter is only supported on 200 and 300 series what the hell AMD! Yes, yes, we have RTSS but what if we didn't...

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I don't need to be a "genious" to guess that what you say it's not "ridiculous" but clearly "obvious".

:D

8. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Agreed :)

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    As a reminder to the people who speak as if the 7000 series is ancient, 19 months ago the 7970 was still being sold as the top tier AMD single GPU.

10. Osjur

Osjur Member

GPU:
    Radeon Fury X
    Where the hell is 1600p VSR support?

Oh, well 4960x1600p PLP-Eyefinity makes my pain a little easier to handle, so kudos to AMD for bringing it finally!

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

AMD seems to be (much more so than NVIDIA, maybe not as-much as Intel) pretty open about things when dealing with the open-source Linux driver.

Apparently enough people are considering that it's still being done :p

I would also like to mention that most of this thread only applies to the Windows driver. Most AMD GPUs on Linux share a pretty similar feature-set. But on the other hand, there's plenty of features missing in-general.

VSR, Eyefinity, and Framerate Limiting for example are all non-existent on AMD's proprietary driver, and I'm not aware of them even planning on adding it anytime soon. However, the open-source graphics driver (and Linux itself) have methods for handling these features to some extent, and such methods aren't locked down to any particular GPU, nor do I think they can stealthily.

Still though, I may not approve of what AMD is doing here, but on the other hand, at least they don't seem to be going out of their way to prevent it. Remember, NVIDIA was willing to reverse gravity just to botch PhysX from working on hybrid setups (yes, setups having a NVIDIA GPU involved) :p

12. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Actually, I was thinking...government (in any country really) is taking all of us for idi*ts... so why a big worldwide semiconductor company should behave otherwise? :p

EDIT:

I think I need to clarify a little. I'm not talking about politics per se...but about the whole system of our society. I'm talking about that this "lie-to-sell" policy are in our blood for thousands of years. And nobody wants to be the first who will break this vicious cycle. Sh*t...we are really disgusting civilization, human race, isn't it? OR...maybe it's just too much alcohol in me atm...or both :D

Either way...i'm done to philosophise this stuff. The real "problem" is here. And we need to decide how to react to this "new" facts of AMD policy and such...

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    If they just supported all their features they actually can on older hardware too they would get sales because people would feel they support the hardware longer... It gives a sense of security but nope.

14. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Something tells me that there aren't enough AMD driver engineers to even support the new models.

15. undeadpolice

undeadpolice Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 K|NGP|N (SLI)
    Don't worry, AMD team are working on the driver to make sure that 290x would be gimped for future drivers and ensuring there nobody else can modify it to get 390x like performances.

I'm too getting fed up with AMD, I used to support since Rage 128 Ultra days right after Voodo3d's death.

Poor driver support, gimping driver preventing earlier card from getting performances close to re-branded cards. Even I jumped boat because of that.

16. undeadpolice

undeadpolice Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 K|NGP|N (SLI)
    You will be surprised how many idiots are defending AMD's rebadge and grimed&broken drivers.

Yes, they think we are idiots and throw our saving accounts at them.

17. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well while most of the people that are on here are above avg. in terms of intelligence, you'd be surprised to see how stupid and oblivious people can be. Here is a nice one, which you might have seen already,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mWtWz_aGyk

Now you would say, well Americans are known for that, but i did have some encounters here in Europe as well and what came to my surprise the most is they were college graduates, engineers, politics and economics students... :banana:

So yea when the gov't thinks people are stupid, i think they are spot on, otherwise you wouldn't see much of conflicts going on, and more of gov'ts being overthrown ;)

And yes companies can also fool their customers, not you, but many others who buy stuff and really don't know much about changing the games graphical settings in the options menu. :D

18. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    And this is why I sold the two 290X and moved to a GTX980Ti.

Too many lies.

19. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Bravo bravo .....

you are :supercool:

20. Biggsviii

Biggsviii New Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 290x 4GB
    Just finally made an account to post my appreciation to this community and how some people here unfortunately pick up after AMD. Wondrously using the 300 driver on my 290x which works beautifully. I really do hope AMD picks up pace with their driver support but I guess the only upside is that at least they are(typically) stable.