AMD really needs to turn their driver strategy around.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, Jul 3, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    :D It's funny but sad at the same time

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    At least with the CPU they can't scam you out of essential features (like the frame limiter), just by doing a string name check for the CPU name. With CPUs you get what you pay, with this they gimp their older hardware on purpose. As if the resale value wasn't rock bottom already.

The funny thing is, that their driver would have been fine feature wise if they only implemented things that John Matauri implemented alone.

Proper 1, 1/2 Vsync controls that work, Triple Buffering for D3D, and a frame limiter. One guy did all these. They even work for NVIDIA cards. What the hell is everybody smoking?

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The PR spliff.

4. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    And don't forget the VSR skimping again as the 390/x will support the full 4K VSR and we 290/x owners still need to do it with 3200x1800.
    Damn AMD i'm not gonna buy a 390 when it's barely faster then my 290, just stop it and give me the full VSR!

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Really?!¿!

This could be the first real valid reason to flash my 290Xs GPUs as 390X!

6. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Actually not true the r9 390/x also only support up to 3200x1800 and it says that on their support table. I've posted earlier in some thread, forgotten which exactly, but if you want proof, i can look for it again.

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I think you are right, i remember to read somewhere that 390(X) is limited to 1800p but the contrary (been able to 4K VSR with official drivers) wouldn't be a surprise at least for me.

8. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    [​IMG]

This was released with the fury x guide.

People need to start bringing some proofs before spreading some non-sense. Sure amd is being naughty as of late, but don't make it worst by spelling some gas and telling people to light some cigs.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  9. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks that's the table!

PPL who believe higher number in nomenclature gives always better features will be dissapointed (again) to know that 390(X) are not getting the 4 K VSR the 380 is getting!

In this case they "only" added "95" to rebrand "old" 285 to "new" 380".

LOL

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The ****storm raised in Twitter and Reddit seems to have produced some results. The 5000/6000 series people, still get the sexy banana though (for NO hardware reason) :banana:

Here's the article.

They mention Tahiti by name, but they don't say 7000 series. If you read the article they say that it would have been for the 300 series only. After the ****storm it was 200/300, we just need another fecal push for them to give them to all of their supported lineup.

11. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    As much i am happy now more people will enjoy such features, i wouldn't push it much, because the house always wins ;)

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Remember we weren't supposed to have VSR or the framelimiter for a lot of cards but we do :D unofficially of course. If they don't come to us officially there's probably another way.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I call this BS.

They can reuse the old PR explanation for VSR: It was a "Confusion".

Confusion 2.0

LOL

14. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    While we are on topic, have/will you guys gotten/get official vsr support with the next official driver?

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You mean 15.6? No not here. Even with the Windows 10 drivers I don't think it's there without modding. I didn't see it on Windows 10 with 1023.3

AMD are obsessed with hardcoding driver limitations min and max.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    oh look those same old 3-4 anti amd 7000 users are at it again:grin:

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Being skeptical isn't anti anything. If you read what we're talking about without jumping the gun then you might learn something.

18. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    I am also having a soft spot for AMD/ ATI...since Thunderbolt cpu series and ATI 9000 series. But all this recent BS gives me great sadness. You see, I can't be in love with someone who bullsh***ing me...

I have to talk to my lawyer...fill out some papers for divorce...just in advance. Maybe it will be the last year of our passionate relationship...who knows.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It's a well know fact that you (and others) are DANGEROUS anti amd 7000 user(s) because you are using modded drivers who adds unnofficialy supported VSR feature to your series 7000 GPUs.

You must be patient and most important: SILENT

Don't ask AMD for more features unnofficially avalaible !
    YOU DANGEROUS INFILTRATED NVIDIA FANBOY!

:D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    We are in a bit of a different age, but without a ****storm, they wouldn't back down.

What a constructive little comment. On the other hand, me and a ton of other people here and on Reddit, are quite happy we are getting something, even if we have to shout for things that should have been there anyway (stupid things like VSR and the Frame Limiter that work anyways).

No, the old fork of drivers doesn't enable anything.