AMD RDNA 2 and GeForce RTX Architecture to Support DirectX 12 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    They love #13: "13 patches,13 hostages,13 skills,13 leaders,etc,etc" :D

Anyway,its good to have an improvement of DX12,but Vulkan rulles in performance for well done engines.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh I am concurring, in general you are right. I simply would not want the scenario to happen, where Nvidia sticks to dx12 Ultimate mostly (due to probably good performance?), and AMD sticks to Vulkan mostly (due to their better performance than in dx12ultimate?).
    If this would happen, it would be the dx11 era all over again... and devs probably have one API that's better optimized in their programs due to closer partnering with one of the two vendors (I think up until now Intel doesn't have that kind of a program like Nvidia's libraries). I would not like such a situation.

If they all focus on Vulkan, I'd be fine with that. As long as there isn't another API war over ray tracing... like I mentioned in another thread, I'm very curious about the benchmarks now, comparing the two APIs on the vendors (since they both support DX12ulti and Vulkan RT).
    If they stick to dx12ulti now, which I believe m$ will of course try to make them, I'd be just as fine with it tbh.
    Bottom line, as long as the implementations from the devs are good, I couldn't care what API I use. It's all about what performance we see :)

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I would imagine developers have a personal preference as well, and stick with what they are most comfortable with.

Publishers may also see Vulkan as beneficial as its a larger userbase, but developers may not want to split development time between multiple operating systems unless the publishers give them additional time and money which probably isn't that likely.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Guys the article is basically saying that both AMD and Nvidia + M$ worked together to bring this new API to life.

That can only be a good thing for us gamers at least. Whether you think Vulkan is a better API it doesn't matter, what matters is we get a unified API that should work as good on either system.

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    That's because software developers have a terminal case of Triskaphobia.

JamesSneed likes this.
  6. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    By switching to Vulcan they would be giving up decades of experience and a vast ecosystem of libraries, learning material and support. I think performance is a nearly insignificant factor in their decisions when compared to the latter.

It's a hard sell.

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well I hope DX12 Ultimate brings some nice visual upgrades like DX 8/9/11 did. Right now I use Vulkan when available for the slightly higher performance.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Are the rumors surrounding Sony PS5 architecture being developed in conjunction with AMD, and therefore not being the same as MS true, and; they use the new DX12U?

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's not about visual quality upgrades, it's about performance. It's only about performance since DirectX 11.

jura11 and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Performance is visual quality.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    No, it's also about pushing visuals closer to realism. Are you saying graphics hit their peek with DX 11?

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Outside performance, visual quality is left to assets artists. Everything else is meant for performance. Yes, we have HDR swap-chain support since a couple of DXGI versions ago, but nothing more.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    jura11 likes this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    From the article:

DirectX 12 Ultimate will drive the next generation of games and will enable a new level of realism with four key features – DirectX Raytracing (DXR), Variable Rate Shading (VRS), Mesh Shaders and Sampler Feedback

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    - Tier 1_1 of DXR is meant for improving performance with DirectX Raytracing API in some strict scenarios.
    - VRS is meant for performance to not invoke shaders when not needed (sort of)
    - Mesh Shader Stage - and Amplification Shader Stage - are meant for performance replacing a baroque and sometime inadequate geometry pipeline with a flexibility like compute shaders. But if I understand it correctly they do not work with stream-output stage, so they are not replacing the old geometry pipeline at 100%.
    - Sampler feedback is meant for performance improving better using of sampling on texture maps.

Nothing of these will improve or create more realistic graphics like magic.

Biggest delusion: still no ASTC support (although was planned in the early versions of DirectX 12).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    death to baked shadows!

Aura89 and Alessio1989 like this.

16. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    The issue with modern PC gaming is that whether it's DX or Vulkan, you're more dependent on the GPU driver team to optimize.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is no point to relying on driver devs to fix dx12 or vulkan performance.

18. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I'm sure there's still room for driver teams to optimize game performance with dx12 and vulkan.

19. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Could you please make an example outside how to read a PSO by every single architecture?

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    When used right, either API ships agnostic shaders to compile to native gpu code and thats all AMD, Nvidia or Intel can really do for optimisation.