1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Radeon VII 3DMark results Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2019.

1. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Indeed it is, especially for the Radeon VII. It has been shown to cost around 600 to make, so AMD will be making very minimal profits on them.

2. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I think this point gets overlooked a lot in the general pricing outrage for this generation.

I don't think anyone is trying to give AMD a pass on the $700 Radeon 7 as such, it's more likely that a large 7nm chip with 16GB of HBM2 makes it impossible to price any lower.

Ie. if Nvidia hadn't established the RTX 2080 at a $700-800 price point, as opposed to a more reasonable ~$500, we probably wouldn't have the Radeon 7 at all. That might not be a huge loss overall, even at $500 we're talking very niche markets after all, but it's worth keeping in mind.

AMD probably would have liked to be more competitive on pricing, I just doubt they could have been.

Maddness likes this.
  3. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    AMD are using HBM2 because for them to go with the cheaper GDDR6 would in the long run cost a lot of money. And the fact that they use HBM2 means the cards will sell to the non gaming market.

4. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    For someone like me still on an gtx 980 classified this looks interesting. I also have a 144hz freesync monitor, so I have been thinking my next gpu will probably be AMD. On the flip side honestly there is not really anything software wise that has yet made me feel like I need to upgrade yet.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Don't, you'll just be paying for the performance you could have had 1.5 years ago for the same price as 1.5 years ago, but now, without raytracing or any new technology. If you've waited this long, there's no point upgrading right now unless you want raytracing, otherwise, wait for navi or whatever nvidia has next.