1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Radeon VII 3DMark results Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    RTX2080 overclocked using overclock scanner as a guide for Vega VII results my hope is that Vega is better than a RTX2080/GTX1080ti and it is cheaper we need competition

Time Spy Msi Trio RTX2080
    Score 11386
    Graphics Score 12 116
    CPU Score 8 490

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/5929807

Fire Strike Msi Trio RTX2080
    Score 23299
    Graphics Score 28 704
    Physics Score 20 570
    Combined Score 10 528

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/18015015

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    No new tech anywhere in sight... RTX on :(

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I'll do it again. And again if needed later:
    8GB VRAM utilization does not mean that card with less will be negatively affected.
    You can go around and pick Benchmarks of 4GB and 8GB versions of RX-580 and see if 4GB is choked. Because moment, VRAM is really not sufficient, even 200MB will have very measurable negative effect.

8GB is more than fine. And will remain in that state for next few years. By then, people will get stronger cards anyway.

Maddness, Aura89 and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Fixed that for you, since that's what's it's all about.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    AMD owns a console market so its all good, right? Lets all buy consoles and we drop this nonsense PC.

6. TieSKey

TieSKey Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    And that, sir, is the very definition of greed. You can only be greedy when u have the option to charge less but actively choose the higher prices when nobody forces u.

By the same logic, amd prices don't make them "consumer friendly" or "not greedy" because they pricing is forced by the competition or the need to penetrate/increase market share and not out of their own volition.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    You make no sense. It's called business.

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, less, because unless you can find a situation, gaming wise, where 16GB of HBM ram will actually be useful and is not just an expensive eyesore on the Radeon VII, then that's not more.

That being said, you clearly did not read my last sentence that stated if you have a PROGRAM (not a game, for the above obvious reasons) that can utilize it, then great! But we're not talking about programs here, we're talking about gaming.

Having something on a graphics card, for gaming, that you can't use, for gaming, is not "more".

Again, let me repeat: 16GB of HBM memory on the Radeon VII is not more, it's less, due to the fact that if it had 8GB or 12GB, it would have been able to be cheaper and actually be a card to look forward to, but because it has 16GB of HBM memory, it can't be cheaper, it has to be expensive, and that is a negative on it, not a positive.

9. TieSKey

TieSKey Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Depends on your definition of "business". If by it u mean taking every opportunity to rip off your customers abusing a (pseudo)monopoly and huge economical/political/legal power, then yes, it's business and is greed in it's purest form :)

My definition is more like the old Ford concept, "we maintain reasonably low prices so we sell a lot and we pay our employees good enough so they can buy from us".

10. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I found some Radeon7 3dmark Scores!
    FIRE STRIKE ULTRA 1.1
    FIRE STRIKE EXTREME 1.0
    FIRE STRIKE 1.1
    [​IMG]

11. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    I'll throw something at you. If you were the leading manufacturer at Ford and your cars were expensive and still sell out, would you charge low prices? No you wouldn't. You might say the RTX cards are a rip off, but a lot of them are sold out.

Nvidia are making a killing and have been for a long time. Because they make gpus that people want to buy. And have no competition.

And let's not forget that AMD are releasing a VEGA VII at the same price as the RTX 2080 (ok, $50 less, but that hardly is a deciding factor at around $700), a card that performs pretty much the same as the 2080, offering no new tech and this is months after the 2080 release.

These days, you can buy a perfectly good 2080 for $699, which is the launch price of VEGA VII.

This just reminds me of the release of FuryX, a card that came out months after the 980ti, performed worse and cost more.

So tell me, how is Nvidia ripping people off?

Sure, the 2080ti is EXPENSIVE, but people are buying it so it makes perfect sense for Nvidia to charge that much, seeing as AMD are pricing their latest gpu no better than Nvidia.

And trust me, I would have loved to pay less for my 2080 but until AMD actually compete, prices will only remain as they are, if not go further up.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    MSRP of the Radeon VII and 2080 are the same.

13. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    8k test please. yum yum

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    What size screen do you hope to enjoy your 8k on?

15. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    From what I've seen the VEGA VII MSRP is $699 and the 2080FE is $749. Negligible.

16. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
  17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No one said anything about FE....but ok.

Still not correct though.

Radeon VII = $699
    2080 = $699
    2080 fe = $799

And yes, unlike the 2080 ti, you can get the 2080 for MSRP
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932086

Not trying to make things difficult here, but facts are facts and should be conveyed correctly or corrected.

Fox2232 likes this.
  18. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    My bad, I was looking at UK prices where the RRP is £749 for the 2080FE. Damn, so they do cost the same. Why do people moan about Nvidia pricing then, when VEGA VII is just much of a "rip off" is beyond me.

19. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Many are complaining about the prices of the entire RTX lineup, as well as the price of the Radeon VII. Both companies are ripping people off with these prices. You make it sound like everyone is fine with 700 for the Radeon VII. This is not the case.

Maddness likes this.
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Of course many would object to the pricing, but I believe the cost of manufacture of these cards vs the price is way higher than anything else that came before them. Especially the R VII with the very expensive HMB2.

Maddness and Aura89 like this.