AMD Radeon Software Crimson 16.4.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d2kx, Apr 5, 2016.

1. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
  2. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Seems to be good, but i can't really have that experience.
    I did won a giveway of the Action!, it uses AMD APP to use the GPU to record.
    I'm fairly satisfied with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjrVF6_aNx4

3. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    OBS Studio can record with VCE (Encoder) and with CQP (Rate Control) the quality is nice and framerate loss is bearable.

4. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I know..
    But my end result with the smoothness of the video is bad :(
    Thats my problem with OBS, the recorder it self, i can record easily without losing frames.
    But the video smoothness is not good ;(, same for the raptr :(

What version of OBS do you guys use?

5. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Plays.tv quality is >action!

Back in Action! 1.17 I believe their APP implementation was phenomenal, don't know what they changed after that, but it effected performance. Then the 15.11 cats I think remove openencode, and they had to change again and it got even worse. It's not terrible, just nowhere as good as it was.

I don't play any obscure Indy games and plays.tv works with every game I own. I buy pretty much every triple a game day one. Can't say I have had that issue of it not working with any game I play.

I'm not sticking up for plays.tv because it is free and I am cheap either. I have seriously bought Action!, Bandicam, Playclaw, Dxtory, and D3Dgear, and I still have X-split premium until the end of 2017. I just find Plays.tv to be actually really good at keeping performance in check and having solid quality. I do think it is really barebones though and is missing some essential features, push to talk being the huge omission.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  6. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Original OBS with AMF VCE is much worse than OBS Studio VCE, I tested this with Arkham Knight, MGSV, and ROTTR DX11, because I wanted to record a dx11 vs dx12 comparison vid for ROTTR. Well, it didn't work out, but that's another story.

7. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Could u not get DX12 to record?

Also OBS studios VCE AMF recording is decent just still nowhere as good as the plays.tv implementation. And I think they all are AMF now since openencode is gone. I think AMD is hooking them(plays.tv) up with some secret sauce:p or something. Theoretically they should all be the same, but for some reason plays is so much lighter and cleaner.

8. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    Has anyone noticed a playstv icon (after reboot) in the running tasks and if you click on it it brings up the radeon settings I just thought it kinda funny its running before ever even running "Gaming evolved app" it disappears after clicking on it when the radeon settings comes up. Not a problem by any means since it doesn't hurt anything - its just something i noticed recently.

9. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    IMO main difference is not between recording software, codecs, filters, etc. but between services where we put videos. Since some time (few weeks) google significantly lowered bitrate of youtube videos and it is much lower than it was before, that's reason why currently uploaded videos on youtube look worse than on plays.tv service. Luckily google didn't change bitrate for videos which already were uploaded and you can compare old youtube videos with recent ones and you will see that older videos look much better than recent ones.

Plays.tv within raptr/amd gaming evolved is in fact delivered as separate program, plays.tv is focused only on recording videos while raptr itself has more purposes and needs more data to analyze on its startup. That's the reason :)

10. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

I take the video recorded by plays.tv and upload to YouTube.still better than OBS with same settings, and that is after being re-encoded again by youtube. I record at 50% res at 60 fps, I don't do 1080p recording. (Embedded yt loses quality, so you actually have to open the video in yt to see.)

I am not trying to be a know it all either, everything I have typed is from my experience. So I am not saying you guys are wrong. We all know that things can be different on different systems, different games, and different settings. So what might be great for me, might be terrible for you.

Only reason why I responded to this was someone telling someone else to not even bother with plays.tv, because OBS is better. I was just saying that is not necessarily so. It depends.

I am willing to try whatever works best for me, and that does change from time to time, and game to game. This is my recording folder for instance:

[​IMG]

One thing I will say is that X-Splits recording feature kind of blows though. Out of all the stuff I use, I find it to be the worst. I do prefer its streaming over OBS though, but that is totally subjective as well. And as far as streaming with Crossfire, I still find that using Dxtory to do the gamecapture and output as a raw directshow camera into X-Split or OBS is miles above just using either of those by themselves. Has the advantage of being able to stream DX12 that way as well.

D3Dgear is kind of cool, but that program does some funky interfering with a lot of other programs. Still worth a look though, if you dont mind that kind of stuff. Has really really tiny file sizes and decent quality with a pretty minimal impact on performance. It is just the only one of those, that can cause compatibility issues with other recording programs, just by having it installed....

11. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Did you configure obs to improve image quality? I have no complaints about quality of obs studio and my settings are not extraordinary:
    recording quality: indistinguishable quality
    encoder: software (x264 low cpu usage preset,....)
    That's it. You can see effect in video which i linked earlier.

12. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Its not obscure indie games, its games at release date, AAA Games, that only gain support several days/weeks later.
    I can't use it because of that :(

13. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

Which ones? I haven't had that happen yet. Recnt games I bought: BOPS III day one, MGSV day One.. (those two worked once it was integrated into AMD, I'll be honest I never tried plays.tv until then :p) R6 day one, the division day one, ROTRR day one, even an early access title like Grim Dawn etc...those all worked fine. I don't play Fallout 4, any of those new MOBA's, or MMO's, so I can't speak for them. But like I said, what works for me, might be different for you.

Back on topic though, these drivers seem pretty solid so far.

14. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well, to be honest, right now i don't remember and i was trying MXGP2 and its actually working, and its a recent game indeed.

But i still have the problem of the smoothness.
    I am currently uploading a short video with the side by side benchmark section of the Talos principle with both recorders.

Plays.TV seems to be just fine, with the framerate, but the video consistency is horrible.
    While Action! do loose more on the framerate but its just perfect on consistency.

I will try OBS too, but for now, i am uploading that one.
    (my internet is very slow, next hour or something you will have the video)

15. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+

16. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well i tried your settings, and it got just displaying 1fps per each 10 seconds on the final result of the video...
    So.. OBS is good for everyone, but it clearly have problems with me :p
    Unless i am using the wrong source, i choose game capture.
    (we hijacked this thread pretty well for Recorder discussion)

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    Looks 10x better then some famous youtubers video quality.

I know some have so much pixelation into them videos when in motion wich annoys the hell out of me.

18. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    well basically independently from what software you use for recording.
    recording without encoding on the fly (yuv12 or rgb setting in bandicam for example) is always the most performant method of recording gameplay as it just saves tons of data onto your hd without accessing them to compress them during recording
    so if your program doesnt offer lossless avi recording and you want an improvement... switch to a program that does offer lossless avi.
    you will end up with like 12 GB per minute of video which you will have to encode via handbrake or ffmpeg commandline or xmedia recode... all of them are very good.
    there you can efficiently after you finished your gameplay encode your raw LOSSLESS video into any codec (h264,h265,vp9,etc.) you like and set the aspired quality and the encoding speed (slower is always better and smaller but ofc takes longer).

19. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Well, you can try increase Minimum QP to reduce quality, and since you have a 7850 set consequtive B-Frame count to 0, I think, because your gpu has vce 1.0.

20. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well, i put like this, the quality was already bad, and was running just super Bad.
    [​IMG]
    Forget it :)
    I will just upload my comparation between Plays.TV and Action!, and done :p