AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Unfortunately, not.

Prefer Maximum only dictates that the clockrate never goes below base clock, it doesn't determine if dynamic gating has shut off SM blocks.

This has come up with thousands of posts since the 900 series came out with CSGO and such having lower fps than their previous 700 series, all that could be said to them was to raise the resolution or antialiasing to give the chip more work to do.

BlindBison and JonasBeckman like this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Ah so it has no effect on the actual sleep behavior itself then and just the clock speed, that's good to know about at least even if this option can't be utilized as a way to force the GPU usage to full should users have need of it instead the GPU's usage just has to be high enough to where the card doesn't go into power saving mode in the first place.

EDIT: Oh that was a messy post, rewrote parts of it.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    As an example
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...other-games-after-upgrade-to-gtx-980.2606928/

Theres a lot going on with modern graphics card that you have to be aware of when writing and making video's like this new HU one, someone didn't give him a memo or something XD?

I don't mind if AMD is better for CSGO players at 1080p, they can have that, just don't report that a apple is a pear because it doesn't taste like every other apple you ever had

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Kuss and JonasBeckman like this.
  4. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    But U noticed at the end of their video, where there was 3070/6800 capped at 60FPS, and CPU utilization with 3070 was way higher than 6800?
    Not to mention observed stutter with 3070.
    So, there may be some CPU driver overhead involved.
    Which frankly does not matter when u have 10900k CPU paired with 3090...but still.

BlindBison likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    means nothing. the fps cap itself can generate cpu usage.

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    Well, the game runs slower on at least Turing while generating the same high load (>90%) on the CPU when CPU bound. So, yes: It needs more CPU cycles with the Nvidia driver to achieve the same performance.
    I tested this in the past with 720p 50% resolution scale and it was ~86fps with a 1660S and ~100fps with an RX 580.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    do you still gt 86fps with this driver?
    https://mega.nz/file/rE1E0JCS#-xL0bc6t2UiuiZ0Vtc-I9hcqGhV0UIr0B6FKJcdy_kE

or do you no longer own the 1660s?

8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    I don't have access to any Nvidia cards anymore.

I btw. don't agree with HU statement that this is a general driver issue with all APIs. Judging from my own tests and looking at those by gamegpu.ru and PCGH, I don't think that the Nvidia Vulkan driver is slower, and the D3D11 driver definitely is still generally faster when CPU bound. It's weird that only D3D12 seems to be affected, though it's a valid point to be criticized.

9. HD64G

HD64G Member

GPU:
    SapphirePulseRX5700
    Imho, this isn't related to drivers at all but to the arch. As Vega was easier bottlenecked than Pascal in lower resolutions, RDNA1&2 are more efficient for gaming than Ampere and Turing that are more compute focused.

Passus likes this.
  10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    That is another issue. When GPU load is well below 95% percent, you are CPU bound (GPU waits for CPU). What you describe is "some parts of the GPU wait for the others".

11. grumpynator

grumpynator Member

GPU:
    tuf 5700rx 8gb
    TUF 5700 ,with new driver 21.2.3 windows 10 will not shut down it gose to black screen
    will not shut down fans and led,s still on and i have done all the CHK IE fast boot up looked in bios and only fix to roll back driver to 20.11.1 its fine again have even sent card back under rma and no fault found

HD64G likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

something is wrong in your computer and you should find out what it is.

HD64G and Passus like this.
  13. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    What motherboard and bios are you using?

ram set to docp? or manual

any manual changes you made in the bios?

14. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    I disagree. If rolling back to a previous version of the driver fixes the issue, then the problem is with the latest version of the driver and not the PC/components themselves.

15. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Samsung monitor?

16. grumpynator

grumpynator Member

GPU:
    tuf 5700rx 8gb
    what would that be then since if i install 20.11.1 its fine and all so dose same in other mother board with same cpu and new mem to and if i use my 580 it works fine and all so i tried 3070 and that works fine

17. grumpynator

grumpynator Member

GPU:
    tuf 5700rx 8gb
    Thanks finely someone with some common sense as well it bloody driver and AMD will not see this

18. grumpynator

grumpynator Member

GPU:
    tuf 5700rx 8gb
    tryed with defalut seting and then fast start on and off

19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Hmm well it is either the drivers as you say or video bios

as you have used 2 totally different machines to test with that is

other than that im stumped, sorry i cant help more buddy

20. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

GPU:
    rx5700xt
    I think AMD has seriously screwed 5700 owners and if it works with older drivers but not the latest then it's got to be the driver, anyone with any logic would see that.

I was always pro NVidia as years and years back AMD had a bad reputation for GPU drivers and I always steered clear of them, looks like nothing has changed. BTW I have a Red Devil RX 5700 XT since it first came out and driver wise it has been the worse experience I've ever had.