AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 chips differ - physically and quite significantly

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Update: We've received word back from AMD, I'll just leave that here:

We have multiple manufacturing partners for Vega10 package assembly. To meet the high-volume production that we target with Vega10, we need access to most of the world capacity for 2.5D interposer technology. Each partner has unique processes, including one which has an epoxy fill to level the entire SOC surface. This specificity is inconsequential to the system solution and all Vega10 packages are form, fit and function equivalent. As there is no functional difference, any Vega10 package flavor can be binned into a Vega10 XL, XT or XTX.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Still I can imagine it might make a marginal difference in physical resistance when mounting coolers, as well as a minor gain in thermal dissipation if that epoxy isn't present (epoxy doesn't transport heat well unless you put in the right fibres, or am I wrong?). With the final product it will probably make no difference though.

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Let me know when your cousin starts making these in his basement...I'd like to order a few--as I'm sure AMD would as well. BTW, the image of the GPU without the epoxy only appears rough because the pic was taken with the thermal compound left on, as is revealed in the text here. The other images are either of dummies or real GPUs that have no thermal compound on them at all--hence they appear "clean." The only difference between them is the epoxy, according to AMD.

4. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    If it's epoxy it is not a good conductor of heat. It will actually hold it in more. Epoxy however is a great insulator.

5. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    it assuredly would affect the even dispersal of mounting pressure, albeit very slightly. it seems to function as an integrated shim.

6. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Interesting...

Hilbert Please make other VEGA review with "Power Modes" comparision, VEGA 64 has Boost, Balanced and PwrSave on every BIOS (6 power modes in total) would be interesting see Gaming Performance per Watt with every mode to compare :infinity:

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Why wouldn't they bin for vid?

8. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    There is an update on this doing the rounds.
    Its from Toms iirc.

There are 3 or 4 variants of the Vega chip apparently, with differing heights of HBM and GPU (depending on whether there is the epoxy filler or not).

I really hope this isn't going to be a b'stard for those of us who want to slap waterblocks on them...

edit : link : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-vega-package-problem,35281.html

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah that's the big question, how will it be if you put an aftermarket cooler on it. The sold cards obviously perform all within normal margins.
    Thanks for posting the read, I wasn't aware that HBM2 is running at 90°C during the benches.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Well my EK Waterblock arrived this morning, so I might give it a shot this weekend.
    I just hope I've got a chip with the epoxy filler included.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    AMD is stupid for such an oversight.

The differences in package size(height mainly) will cause AiBs to increase prices due to the fact that the 'uneven' heights will require their standard coolers to be modified to fit correctly.
    Vega is a total failure at this point.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Well, there WAS epoxy filler, so it was a walk in the park. :)