AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Tested on Z490 Platform With Resizable BAR (AMD SAM) Enabled

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    itpro likes this.
  2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Cherry picked games once again and their gains. On these ones with that resolution 6800XT beats BFGPU RTX 3090 easily with either SAM enabled or disabled.

3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    interesting, but not my take.
    my take is this is a gift that Intel is getting before they release their gpu's, not that this is a stab at Nvidia. at least not yet

itpro likes this.
  4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I doubt that Intel is in a such advanced gpu drivers' state, yet. It is a new variable for AMD and Nvidia, who is Intel to catch so soon on an unknown environment?

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think we are ignoring elephant in the room. That tiny improvement on average fps is not really important. And so many games where average is almost same are not important.
    But improvement to minimal fps hints improved frametime variance.

Valken and tunejunky like this.
  6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    What i take for this , is that SAM can run on anything that has pcix 3 or higher. . And is not something that you need ryzen5xxx and b550 or x570 combo only.

tunejunky, rl66 and Gandul like this.
  7. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref
    Nvidia and Intel suddenly woke up because of AMD. Why did Nvidia or Intel did not provide us with this feature before , if it is "just" part of PCIE specs ? ;) i will call it SAM (not BAR or else ) just to give AMD credit for releasing this feature to the public ;)

Valken and m4dn355 like this.
  8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    That is a good question.
    But in the past someone always needed to take a first step and then others will follow.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I just want to know if ill be able to do this on my z370 mobo? Hope they pass this on down to at least the 3xx series mobos too.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I think its important to keep in mind that when a company says its "Supported Only on X" it is often to limit their customer support commitment, resizable bar isn't a new feature its just not implemented in a universally consistent way.

11. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Look at the minimum and average FPS gains! That is all I care about and same question as others... why now AFTER AMD released it for their Ryzen 3000/4000?/5000 CPUs?

More evidence Intel was milking the 10% uplift at maximum profits against their user base for years... I do not believe they did not know about this...

Again, so GLAD AMD disrupted the market!

12. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    not the point of this piece at all
    SAM works on Intel and PCI-E 3.0 just as well as Ryzen 5000 and PCI-E 4.0

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I think it's just upto motherboard manufacturers to release a bios that allows it to be enabled on the cpus.

Fox2232 likes this.
  14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    You have it enabled also on most A520 chipset beta bios...
    A nice technology for all... i totaly approve.

Valken, Venix and tunejunky like this.
  15. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    Nice, hope it will work for Z370 owners as well!

16. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    This is something by spec, AMD implemented it first, but eventually everyone had it scheduled in their internal roadmap.

Valken and tunejunky like this.
  17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Technically, work is on driver side. From speed at which intel managed to get it done, they could have do it long time ago. They likely did not have it on radar as well as AMD did not have it on radar.
    AMD simply went and looked on GPU subsystem and decided to leave no stone unturned when it goes to getting bit more performance.

This experiment played out, so they delivered. nVidia will have to do driver work. And maybe they'll be able to pull some rabbit which AMD overlooked.

18. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    I will also give them "credit" for being greedy and trying to trick us into thinking that this feature can work only with X570 platform and 5000 Ryzen CPU - So I think that $AM is more appropriate for AMD - an ugly move from them initially just to show us what would happen if AMD would be dominating the market - no white knight coming to save us despite what some people here may be thinking.
    You should give credit to Nvidia and Intel because by their statements and effort AMD was forced to admit that the technology can be used with older CPU's/other chipsets.
    I propose $AM if you own a X570/5000CPU like AMD was dreaming or BAR for anything else.

No big company like AMD, Nvidia or Intel is thinking individually at us, the consumers, their most important goal is profit. It is only by competition that we win some and they "lose" some.

So, the fact that this technology was initially introduced to the consumers is AMD merit, the fact that this technology can be used in more platforms than it was planned initially is Nvidia/Intel merit and finally because of competition we, the consumers, win some.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  19. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref
    Neither nvidia nor Intel are doing this, neither to give us something, nor to save us from the evil dragon AMD. They do it out of pure selfishness. Intel or nvidia were able to introduce SAM a long time ago (PCIE spec) so why didn't they? :) Because they love us? ;)
    Nvidia, AMD or Intel - they all have a marketing departments ;)

Valken likes this.
  20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yes, but this is more than marketing. this is more or less easily picked fruit.
    it is always to everyone's interest if all spec were met by all people at all times. but as someone said earlier someone had to go first and it was AMD

Valken likes this.