AMD Radeon RX 590 Spotted in 3DMark?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    I fully believe something close to this will be released by AMD soon. Let's be honest, All AMD has to do is offer a better priced proformer. In the mid range GFX card area. Which is 95% of all cards sold. I'll repeat, buy AMD stock now.

I'll buy it. Staying away from Powercolor tho.

3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    95%? What's your source?

4. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    The Internets.

5. FOFINHO

FOFINHO Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix O8GB
    If the results end being really close to the RX 580, I won't be surprised.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    You are wrong. We had HD 6990 and HD 7990 and they were dual GPUs back then.

BlackZero likes this.
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Actually he is right. Because his statement means that having 9 as 2nd number in series does not necessarily indicates dual GPU card.
    Since this is to "be" RX-590, you can notice just 3 numbers. 5 - major for series. 9 - for performance class, 0 - minor not altering, so for aesthetics.
    Closest to it is R9-290X where AMD funnily duplicated performance class and used 9 after "R" and then 9 after "2". And again, instead of using minor number, they rather added X to differentiate within same silicon.

Now, logic: Since @schmidtbag replied to "If it is a 590, then going on convention it would have to be a dual GPU" statement which basically said 90 = dual-GPU, his statement showing that "9" in identification does not necessarily mean dual-GPU. And effectively proving BlackZero's statement wrong.

schmidtbag and warlord like this.
  8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    @Fox2232 Anyway it is logical assumption to be a dual gpu this time and I hope results above are with non working crossfire.

There is absolutely zero point to give the same gpu with just smaller node but same transistor and cores count meaning same performance class with same name scheme. It is retarded. No point at all.

If only it is cheaper but you can't sell 590 cheaper than 580 right? I cannot see how Amd will win midrange this time with a so weak and expensive gpu. Gtx 2060 with 1070 performance is coming.

Fox2232 likes this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do agree, same silicon with several names is not exactly smart. But it does not mean it can't happen. Considering 1550MHz. I really do not think it will be dual GPU card... unless that 12nm tweaked process suits really well to Polaris in terms of Power Consumption. 14nm Polaris around 1350~1400MHz makes 180W card. That would have to be put well under control for dual GPU card.

As far as nVidia's cards. GTX 1060 is not as good as RX-580 and costs about the same. We can expect 2060 to be stronger... but with that RTX price trend, what would be filling price void between 2060 and 2070? Something rebranded to 2060Ti / 2070LE? I personally have no idea. But nVidia created laughable situation. And AMD may be making some clouds to conceal something. If This 12nm Polaris is in RX-5 series, it means they do not want it in RX-6 series or whatever new (old) naming scheme next series gonna have.

I will be happy if it is RX-590 because that means: AMD wants clean drawing table for next series and they are quite ready to deliver something new.

And actually, RX-580 is quite cheap to make. And it is far from Weak. Funny thing is that if they are reaching 1550MHz now, they should have invested a bit into GDDR5X/6. It would be quite different performer.

warlord likes this.
  10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    They need a respectable distance between Vega 56 and RX590. Meanwhile RTX 2070 has 100% win ratio against Vega 64 LC. I cannot comprehend how AMD will beat 2060 considering RX590 cannot be at breathing distance from Vega 56. Anyone would give 50 or even a maximum of 100 bucks more for a clear winner gpu. Budget is not gonna break for such amount if you beat the other one completely in every application.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Market begs to differ. That's because Liquid Cooled cards are not comparable to Air Cooled. If they were, nobody would buy them.

Take RTX 2080Ti as current example. Most expensive variant here is 17% more expensive than cheapest. And we do not have LC version listed. All those cards have practically same OC potential, they just do it at different noise level and temperature. And they are apparently worth it, otherwise people would not buy them.

So, to compare Vega 64 LC performance/price to some non-LC card is by default wrong and non-comparable as they have different target audiences.

And I would like to point out that RTX 2070 has nothing comparable to anything till it is released and available for purchase. That moment, you can judge if given card's performance/price with provided cooling solution is worth it to you over other GPUs. Till then it is as virtual GPU as this RX-590.

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    There is absolutely zero logic in assuming that it's a dual GPU Polaris based card. A dual GPU would be the worst possible thing they could do in this segment.
    Why?
    1: Dual GPU doesn't really work. For anyone.
    2: It would be too hot and noisy.
    3: It would draw too much power for the performance.
    4: It would be too expensive.

However, a 12nm dieshrink to make it a 590 or 680 or whatever, that makes absolutely perfect sense. New line of cards; RX 565, RX 575, RX 585, RX 590... Perfect! All of it at the near same MSRP that the RX400 and RX500 series came at, but increasing the performance ceiling by about 10% every time. Since nothing has happened in the market for the past 2 years there's literally no reason at all to start making higher end cards. Nvidia's new RTX series is not a competitor to these products, the cheapest RTX 270 performs ~10% better than a 1080 (source: HardOCP rtx 2070 review), but costs about 20% more than one.

If the GTX 2060 will come out and have the same performance increase, say, 10-15% over the GTX 1060, but costs 20-30% more? Why would anyone buy that? The mid-range is almost stagnant since Polaris and Pascal (hell even maxwell if we count the 970 as midrange, it certainly was priced right) released and we won't be seeing anything happen to it for quite a while yet... it doesn't even make sense to reduce the price of the cards in the segment because they're selling at the current level.

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

They don't usually inject a new card into an alreay existing lineup and add a 90 at the end of it if it isn't a dual GPU card.

As for who's right, who's wrong....

14. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Sure they did. The R9 295x2 for instance. Dual GPU cards are of the past untill AMD gets to the point where infinity fabric makes it possible to have them seem like one.

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Absolutely, then there was the HD 3870 X2.

Which does not prove i'm wrong.

Hey, they could just as well call it anything under the sky, it doesn't change their past naming conventions.

rl66 likes this.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Number 1, stop the trolling. This is not cool.

Number 2, from GCN/Hawaii and whatever other GPU core there has been a difference in performance going forward.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    also AMD already used the X2 at the end of the name for dual GPU.

schmidtbag likes this.
  18. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Feeling a distinct lack of love for the crossfire possibility here. I can vouch for a strong experience throughout on crossfire, very few issues ever. When I have moved on to AAA games, often a month or two in, driver issues are almost already solved. Having another crossfire card will also encourage them to keep making compatible drivers and crossfire profiles until dx12/vulkan native support might eventually kick in.
    I think a well set up 580 x 2 GPU would kick ass. Comfortably into 1080/1080ti territory at £400 or less money. What is not to like?