AMD Radeon RX 490 launching in December

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    I dont think in a Dual RX480 but yes in a 3500~4096 Cores@1.10GHz GPU with HBM2 and 250W TDP

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Releasing a new high-end card wouldn't hurt the sales of a mid-range card. It would actually help AMD by generating more sales.

AMD is competing with NVidia just fine without having a high-end card. The vast majority of users are running either mid-range or lower cards anyway. That's where the real money is made and where the real competition exists.

3. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I really really hope it's something worthwhile. GPU prices are through the roof.
    With the coming 1080ti probably costing more than €1000...... we REALLY need some decent competition.

Both intel and nvidia are releasing faster products, but only at increased prices. There hasn't been a decent price-drop in 3 years because of the lack of competition (on the higher end)

4. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    My guess is that it'll be between a 1080 and Titan XP performance wise and between 1070 and 1080 price wise.

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    This is great news and I can't wait to see how the rumored product perform and its actual price point! :thumbup:

6. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    If RX490 is a dual gpu card, then all of this fuss and buzz will be useless unfortunately. I hope that I'm wrong, but I feel that it will be a dual gpu card and AMD will miss the point once more

7. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Anyhow, we will know soon enough. They can't keep it as secret for too long

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Sadly, this will be a dual gpu card, note my words. There's no way AMD have anything that powerful under their sleeve that is single gpu, making this quite a comical release. AMD really need to up their game, they're literally handing the market over to Nvidia on a plate.

If this is a single gpu card, I'll eat my words and buy one, as long it's not an Aga oven.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    There was a big fuzz back in October- lots of Vega10 leaks

quick google:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-vega-10-vega-20-and-vega-11-gpus-mentioned-by-cto.html

http://www.isportstimes.com/article...0-gpu-radeon-rx-490-nvidia-pascal-geforce.htm

https://www.techpowerup.com/226012/amd-vega-10-vega-20-and-vega-11-gpus-detailed?cp=4

now this wccft site questions it again and yet they also posted this news back then.
    http://wcc ftech.com/amd-vega-10-4096-gcn/

That statement about dual gpu is a joke and some took the bait, like guru3d Dburgo who spread it like herpes lol jk :grin:
    Sometimes they post ok info, but overall its more of a satire site

Anyway, possible specs,

[​IMG]screen shot pc
    but I think that tflops seems a bit wrong, unless they changed names and Vega 10 is smaller and 11 bigger, although 1-2tflops can easily be OC'ed and that matches TitanXP.

http://video cardz.com/amd/radeon-rx-400/radeon-rx-490

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  10. shiokarai

shiokarai Guest

GPU:
    3 x Titan X Pascal
    it's great and all... but december launch window? are they targeting holiday season? if yes then it's already too late, esp. considering it will probably be just a paper launch. if no doesn't make sense (there are rumours 1080ti will launch in january 2017)

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    If it is a vega 10 with 12tf single precision it is a winner. If it is a dual polaris 10 with roughly the same 12tf it is not even close to being a winner.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I think you are right. But I believe AMDs real purpose with a dual GPU is to have something in the benchmark charts that is not totally dominated by Nvidia. Doesnt look good for them to have the top 4 cards in charts all green for so long. It solidifies impressions that Nvidia are always 'the best' and that AMD are second rate products. Which in turn can have a knock on effect on all their cards.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    People, be sensible. AMD will not release a dual-GPU flagship card that is less powerful than their now 3-years-old R9-295X2. Particularly since we now have the Fury series, and the Pro Duo.

The rumors are nonsense. AMD is on track, as usual, to release a card roughly equivalent to its Nvidia counterpart (or at least competitive). We'll have to see if it's a good card from multiple aspects.

For those who think AMD have not been doing so, The 290 series, then the Fury series have both struck at their competition even if they have not toppled the highest-end card immediately. Vega will be the first release with DX12 already available, and that means that DX12 benchmark should showcase its horsepower from day 1, opposite to what has been the case with the 7000 series, then the 200 series, then the Fury series.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    ^ Look at the prices of those cards. A 480 x 2 (490?) could beat a 1070 (or close to 1080) at roughly same or lower cost.

Are you thinking Vega December?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I'm not sure. But I have zero reasons to think AMD will release a dual-GPU card from midrange GPUs as their high-end card, especially when they're on track for Vega (whenever it releases).

Obviously, they know more than doing such a release. It's almost like we think they know nothing anymore. They do. If they haven't been competitive recently, the reasons are very clear. It's not stupidity from their part.

A few reasons, for example: driver overhead (a past that haunts them into the present), late features (FreeSync took a while, custom resolutions, etc...), AA modes (and Nvidia Inspector), power draw (over-architected, but very robust and more ready for compute / parallel loads), attempting to appeal to high-end in Nvidia fashion (Fury X water-cooler release). They're a dwarf company with respect to Nvidia. Let's give them some credit.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Exactly this.

18. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

It cant be dual 480 without at least 8GB of hbm2.. not if they want to beat 1080 scores handily.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I think you are confused on how this works. Polaris is the name on the chip that has a standard 256 bit memory controller. HBM2 is Vega exclusive from all the AMD propaganda. No Polaris based GPU will have HBM2 and no Vega GPU will have GDDR5/X.

-Tj- I thought from the start Vega11 was bigger than Vega10. Which was confusing since Polaris10 is bigger than Polaris11.

20. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    If it will cost 450$ and performs better than 1070, I'll buy it.