AMD Radeon R9-290X tested and reviewed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 24, 2013.

1. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    sigh...check again. First it was high with 4xmsaa and second run was extreme hd.

2. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    We're to assume that is max OC two days after launch? Not to mention the potential increase in performance due to more mature drivers later down the road? Give it some time before writing it off Agent. Plus lets hope the 290 equals the 780 so you can get another one :) and i can get two or maybe two 290s or two 290x(s) haven't decided we'll see how it plays out.

So far it seems to me at least from the OCN bench thread 290>780 clock for clock.

3. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    Just wondering why everyone is going on about temps..

If you understand basic semiconductor design, you'll know that you can tailor your chips to run within a certain range and be just fine. Just because other cards fail/live short lives running at 90c doesn't mean these will.

Great looking card.

4. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Well i have to agree with everyone here. While AMD may claim it's "fine" throttling at stock isn't any indication of fine. That's why people are concerned, not to mention there have been some with artifacts and such.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I wasn't writing anything off, just making a statement. The 290x was water cooled with voltage increase. Also it's the same architecture, there won't be any major improvements. I ran that valley a good 3 months ago haven't messed with it with newer drivers so I am unsure if it's as high as it can be. Btw I have 2 titans why would I need a 780 lol

Edit: oh I think you thought I had a 780, I don't. Valley thread I've seen a 780 score 3400 ish at 1350~ core iirc, that's why I said I think the two would be about equal. Reference 290x have no legroom, will need a good lightning or dc3/water cooling to clock them good. Stock cooler can't handle the heat output

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  6. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    :3eyes: Some reason i thought you had a 780 since you posted that Valley score (though i didn't look to see the GPU) and then said seems they're about equal.

From the OCN benching thread Clock for Clock seems 290x>780. Though whether one feels that's an adequate comparison considering the architectural differences is a different question. Still i expect some performance increase from later driver's minor or not. It's still a later implementation of GCN, so it's not entirely the same architecture by strict standards.

Edit: Just saw your edit, lol yes that's what i thought. :p Agreed the reference 290x might as well be dubbed for water. They're certainly not getting anywhere with that cooler.

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    From what I've gathered around ze internet a 290x with 1150 clocks will beat 1350 780 in firemark. While it will also beat titan clock for clock performance. o_O when the cooling is effective.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Well the only 290x overclocked vs 780 overclocked is a bs newegg(sry boss) review and it has the 780 beating it most of the time at 1080p and over in games.

Not starting any sit just saying,amd had to take up clocks they had to SACRIFICE temps and power to do it.
    Now thuo when i add it up with aftermarket cooling it not the greatest deal anymore and you toss your warrenty out on alot of cards sooooo its a wash IMHO.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    The first 17 times i seen it it was good now its like the hitler thing.
    So going to put an h70 on one but i hate the spacer

11. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    Funny how your opinion is not biased.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=318924&highlight=480gtx&page=4

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    cowie is the most unbiased person I know

13. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
  14. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Well, well...what a surprise, it seems like both the 780 and 290x have their pros and cons. Neither is the second coming after all.

/sarcasm

15. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Thx Rflair !! Funny indeed.

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX

Just stating the obvious in that thread and this one.
    I cant get it passed anyone these days that i really am bias but i try not to voice my opinion between the brands cus they both suck.
    Hell back when i got my 480's at launch i used dry ice right on the heat pipes to cool the things down cus i had too so just like this pos fan IT HAS TO get removed or just turn in your geek card.
    As if i care about the noise about either cards and that what was being talked about at that time if i remember.
    480 was same as 290x big deal? who would keep any stock cooler on any ref AMD card or NV card they all suck.

I am looking to pull the "buy now" trigger at ne so i guesss i will see for myself.

17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    I thought the stock cooler on my 780GTX was pretty decent. I ran it for a day on air and considering the last aircooled GFX card i had was a 9800 pro I wasn't too bothered by it.

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^

That cooler sucks but is not a jet but it still sucks
    Was alot of hate going on at the time so i just quoted myself cus i like it when i say bitch.

And it fits in here too for the other company now......so there :)

19. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I can't see one lasting long in your hands, cowie.
    fire safety remember.

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    nomex suit is coming this week SLI
    Hope it lasts longer then that first pos 780 classy i got.