AMD Radeon R9-290X tested and reviewed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Vengeful#1

Vengeful#1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 OC 3GB
    I heard that AMD was trying to be kind to you guys since its the winter season on your side of the world..so they threw in a card that performs well and also heats up your house for you at the same time, win/win? :funny:

2. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Apparently there is a "confirmation" that the Accelero Xtreme III works with the 290X, but no proof as of yet. Arctic hasn't updated their product compatibility page at least to include any of the R9 series.

Prolimatech Mk-26 works with the 290X.

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    it would be tight with that i7 920, theyre quite hungry even when not overclocked.

4. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Same here though i'm becoming more and more interested in the 290.

Realistically i'll pay 450-500$ for a 290 or a 780. Probably even 580$ for a 290x, though right now i can't have that kind of heat output in my rig. I want to see the price come down on the 780.

I thought there was rumor or confirmation of the reference designs on lasting the first month? Hence we should see custom by December at the very least?

Also have there been any temp test in gaming? Furmark is a monster all together in it's own right. Hell my 7970 climbs to 78C under furmark and would climb further if i didn't turn my AC down to 60F to combat it. Granted my PC is in a corner and there is really nowhere for the heat to go so the temp rises a bit. When i came home i ran a loop of Heaving and i was mid 60s.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah, i might just grab a new PSU as well, put my mind at ease, cheers :)

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It doesn't work like that.

I'm not flying over to the UK, converting my NZD into GPB, buying a GPU then flying home again. I earn NZD and spend NZD...so $1034 in my country is still $1034.

To give you an idea of how we get shafted, our dollar is currently worth 85c US, yet the cheapest 7950 available here is $400 while they sell for less than $200 in the states....

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    pill, just googled minimum wage in New Zealand, it's $13.75/hour, more than double of what it is in the UK in pounds so the price you pay translates to roughly what we pay. What I mean is you have to work about the same amount of hours to earn enough to buy one. So it's not as bad as it looks :)

8. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    And i was think prices here are high, next time, i will think to NZ peoples.

( well i should put this on past, because our money is really high, and like they base their price on the $, the price go down, they are too affraid we buy online on other country for way cheaper in Euro.. )

9. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    It works like this ^^
    Purchasing power parity.

But comparing prices to the US for everyone is going to look bad as tech there is generally much more affordable for whatever reason (lower taxes, more availability idk)

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    290 sounds like its going to be a real winner.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    No import tax, and close knit relations with the manufacturers overseas keep the prices low for us. A lot of these tech companies are based here.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This and every time someone makes a fat American joke the prices go up over seas. :banana:

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Haha, true that.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK sounds like you guys in the UK get screwed as well, but I know electronics are cheap in N. America since I lived there ....granted 300M people provides massive purchasing power.

NZ has a comparatively small 5 million so I'm surprised the UK with 60M has prices like we do......although I hear coke and xtc etc is cheap.. :p

15. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5YJsMaT_AE

I couldn't help but die at Uber mode. Seriously i was rolling lol

I'm thinking some 290 lightenings are in my future :D. I'm hoping the 290 competes with the 780 so it drops down to 450$. Not that dislike the 290s but as of right now with no custom cooling solutions i can't use them. I plan on Watercooling anyway but not straight away. At least not for the first card i get.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
  17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Pmsl, im literally crying here, thats ******* brilliant! :D:D:D

Clocked they whoop the 780, and even the Titan :cool:

18. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver Staff Member

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    ****ing epic. :invasion:

19. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I keep noticing that as well. And from what little results we have on water they seem to be fine. I'm waiting either way so which ever comes first is the way i'll be going. Custom cooling or price drop. I'm putting my money on custom cooling 290s. Nvidia even in defeat are adamant about price drops.

20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    no worries mate, my old psu wasnt enough for the 920 & 6790's, got fed up and bought a 1250W OCZ lol.

Reminds me, i really need to update my specs

Im really hoping the 290 will max out at 80C( wishful thinking ), but i do think the 290 could actually be the jewel in the crown of the AMD lineup.