AMD Radeon Laptop driver (compatibility issue)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by hamsta, Feb 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. hamsta

hamsta New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti Mobile
    Hello, everyone.
    I tried to search over the forum for this particular issue but can't find any topic about it.
    I'm talking about installing the latest AMD Radeon driver from AMD.com on any Radeon laptop. In 90% cases it causes performance drops or different hardware issues like brightness adjustment stopping to work and other "cool" stuff. I mean that we have to install driver only from the manufacturer repository if we need stability and good performance but in their repository we always have outdated drivers which sometimes even doesn't support upcoming games. Also usually laptop manufacturers just stop updating video drivers after 1-2 years of a laptop release and it turns to garbage. This issue also was mentioned in recent video on Bob of All Trades Youtube channel and for russian users it was mentioned in this video.
    This question is adressed more to AMD representatives on this forum. So I want to ask - are you guys planning to do anything about it? Because this issue has a story of 10+ years and nothing was done. I mean it's a big deal now when you have a competitive CPUs on the laptop market.
    PS excuse me if i'm not grammatically correct. I'm russian.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Not all laptop makers design their hardware to use AMD released drivers. You would think they would, but don't. Companies like MSI, Asus and Clevo do.

3. hamsta

hamsta New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti Mobile
    You talk about MSI but exactly MSI Alpha 15 was mentioned in related videos.
    I also used a couple of different Lenovo's(1st one from 2012 with APU; 2nd one from 2017 with RX550) and issues were the same. So I think it's a system problem of AMD drivers architecture because nobody complains about NVIDIA laptop drivers.

4. pseudo555

pseudo555 Member

GPU:
    sapphire R580
    MSI alpha 15 is a special case (i know, i own one at my deepest regrets: tons of bsod, no real workaround). As far as i know, it's the only laptop with the navi 5500m.

You're right, MSI published GPU driver is not even a catalyst one (26.20.13031.1002(Package 19.30.31.01WHQL), which is really outdated (November 2019) and even worst, which doesn't include the Catalyst center (you have to use the lite version from windows store).

If you install any compatible catalyst 19.12.x, you got BSOD during the install (due to the audio part of the driver). Catalyst 20.x doesn't seem to have that issue.
    In my case, i manage to reduce the BSOD by upgrading ec firmware (1.04) and upgrading all driver from manufacturer website.
    Note: even installing a win 10 x64 1909 from scratch provokes BSOD.

I never got such issues on any radeon card i own (rage 3d, 9600xt, x850xtx, 1650, hd2600, hd4650m, hd4670, hd7700, firepro v4800, 580, wx3200). Last time i got such issue was on win 98 with nvidia fx5700 which was incompatible with my motherboard chipset's driver (gigabyte 8knxp).

My point is better avoid this laptop as many users report blocking/major issues on it, without real answer from anyone (MS, MSI or AMD).
    In statistics, i would call this laptop an outlier, as it doesn't reflect the radeon driver quality over all other supported cards.

Sorry for being so off topic.