AMD Radeon HD 7970 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We review the Radeon HD 7970. Injected in the 499 EUR / 549 USD price tag bracket the product will have to compete directly with the equally expensive GeForce GTX 580 it will actually be a decent notch...

More...

2. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 G1 Gaming
    First post!!!
    Unfortunately not all graph has comparison vs 5850 CFX... but I guess its close if not more powerfull than my 2 VGA. I will sell my 2 5850 and try to get this :D

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I have mixed feelings about this launch, we can look at it in a few ways:

1)- New performance king, but not by much. In comparison to previous launches (especially architecture launches) which on average offer 50%-100% over the previous generation, this launch only offers on average 30% in newer games. With Nvidia's Kepler due to launch in the near future touting 50% increases this card may hold the limelight for a brief time.

2)- This offers AMD a real step forward in compute performance and programming in line with Nvidia, this was long overdue and is very much needed.

3)- AMD overpriced the cards, but I will wait for the mid-range to launch (the real sellers) to judge.

This is how I would sum it up:

If you look at the big picture you can see that this is one big step in the Fusion portfolio that was put in motion many years ago. Gaming performance was not it's main target this time around, rather it was compute and compile performance. And if you judge it by that then it is a success.

4. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Not bad, but not badass.

*Actually I kinda take that back. I really like how they always have such low TDP. I went straight to the Metro 2033 benchmark. I really don't care for the others haha. Impressive lead against the GTX 580 there, but I think it should be tested against a 3GB GTX 580?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    Fast little red devil huh ... Great review Hilbert.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Q.E.D.

:rolleyes:

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    hahahaha... How sad blackzero :p

Great review Hilbert

Is anyone else not really that impressed with the performance of amd 7970?

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I like it, very respectable offering from AMD.

9. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    You know what... I am NOT impressed at all.

Of course, the price\performance ratio and Idle power consumption is remarkable, but that's it. I didn't see a thing that will make me want this card.

Ok, you all can tell me, that I am an Intel\Nvidia fan, so I have a prejudice against AMD products... partially true, but let me try to explain why this is not the case here.

Right now I have 2x GTX460 (a sub-generation behind GTX580) running in SLI in 1920x1200 resolution. For them I paid a bit more than 550$ in July-August 2010.
    They run faster than one GTX580. Yes, 1Gb framebuffer holds the performance down sometimes, but nonetheless, the performance is brilliant!
    Ok, I mostly don't play uber-modern games (and I really don't like all this BF, CoD, Metro, Stalker games :puke2:)... Right now I am totally into SWTOR... :vader:
    So tell me, why should I want HD 7970?

Well, nothing comes to mind except idle power consumption, but really - I am not that green\nature conscious, I can totally live with my 2x460 sucking the power...

To tell the truth I considered buying 2x GTX560Ti 448 cores (mostly because of more raw power and bigger framebuffer), but with the prices right now and looming "next-gen" GeForce I decided against it. I will definitely wait till march-april to see what Nvidia delivers and most probably go with 2x mid-range card again (gtx 660 or whatever it will be called). Until then I am still more than happy with the choice I made in July 2010.

P.S. I have laughed myself out, when I saw AMD's performance slides with 160% performance of GTX580, right now I am laughing even louder.
    (yeah, I saw Nvidia performance slides too and they also make me laugh, but almost always Nvidia brings faster-than-AMD products... even if being late)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well we all knew they cooked them, but this...

This is some serious GOURMET sh1t

11. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    review is on the ball, and up quickly to boot. good read. i think performance is good; not great. we will see wat happens to the price soon enough!

12. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    ))))
    I have mistyped - not "160 over" but should be "160% of" (corrected my message already)
    Anyway, we are not anywhere near 60% of performance increase over one GTX580... actually hardly 20-30%.

13. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Crossfire review coming? ;) Do some triple monitor stuff :p

14. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Stays cool, noise level is good, power usage great, Apparently you can overclock the hell out of this beast.

In all, a good card from AMD. I want my 7950s.

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Great review. Time to sell my old 5850's me thinks.

16. BustaFiles

BustaFiles Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7970
    First Day, first driver Gen. This achievement is not the last word, be sure.
    looks good, you did some gpugrid tests already?

17. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    Well previous architecture was geared towards gaming. Now new architecture is more geared towards GPU compute basically trade off has happened, hence why the jump hasn't been 80-100% over previous generation. Once you overclock 7970 reckon it will overtake the 6990 espeically if you get it over 1200MHz core

18. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    cue in the "I have the XXXX card.. I dont need this, I am dissapoint" posts

19. kzinti1

kzinti1 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    I expected a change in what this thing would look like. Just another copy of another copy. The same color scheme as ASUS ROG. More boring than ever.
    I'm far more interested in whether AMD ever hired someone who can actually build their drivers properly. I didn't change over to strictly "Nvidia Only", on a whim. I was disgusted with the AMD drivers. Their hardware has always been mechanically excellent.
    I don't have to mention their CPU's. Anybody with a brain knows that they're good but nowhere near the best. They're certainly trying, though.
    I'm no fanboy of any company. I only buy the best I can afford.

20. Metz

Metz Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5850 TOP CF
    Again 1.6x is 60% NOT 160%. a 100% increase would be double or 2.0x.