AMD Radeon Fury X beats Titan X in leaked CompuBench OpenCL benchmark

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Deathchild, Jun 10, 2015.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Hasn't AMD always been slightly a little better at OpenCL computing than Nvidia? I find it strangely interesting that AMD is suddenly pushing heavily for the release of Fury anf Fury X. I wonder what they would be doing had Nvidia not released the Geforce GTX 980 Ti, would they still be dragging their feet, releasing multiple teasers telling us, "SOON!".

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yeah, because nvidia doesn't give a crap about openCL. They have CUDA, which from what I can tell is a more polished API. Another thing to keep in mind is in GPGPU applications, both companies have noticeably different performance depending on the task. For example, nvidia might be better at calculating fluids, but AMD is better at bitcoin hashing.

Considering servers are where these corporations make most of their money, it wouldn't surprise me if AMD revolves their radeon GPUs around server openCL needs. This is especially apparent in linux, where the openGL performance in catalyst is so bad its almost a joke, but openCL outperforms nvidia, and by a significant margin.

3. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    The release date for Fiji has been the same June date I've been hearing for close to 6 months.

4. BedantP

BedantP Master Guru

GPU:
    1660Ti
    When it comes to RAW performance and number crunching speed, Stretching old architectures for years to come, AMD wins, thus, is used in BTC mining and we always see GCN 1.x.

When it comes to Gaming, Power Consumption, Gimping old architectures, Better new architectures, NVIDIA FTW! NVIDIA's architecture is more leaning towards gaming than RAW performance.

Edit - Why am I seeing random, useless links all over Guru3D and only in Guru3D, that show me nothing but small pop-up like thingies with random Ads?

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm not so sure about that. CUDA is clearly more focused on non-gaming purposes, and nvidia is pretty well invested in that. One of the reasons I like nvidia is because their products are much more well-rounded and their drivers are where they really shine. I like AMD because they offer competitive performance at an even more competitive price.

The unfortunate thing for AMD is their benchmarks are ALWAYS lacking on release day, because their drivers aren't optimized enough. But wait a full year and you'll find as much as a 15% performance increase. That's too late for them though, since the initial impression is what people go on. Nvidia, generally speaking, uses inferior hardware but their numbers are better simply because their drivers are always fantastic at release day.

That being said, I'm not a hardcore gamer and I don't make upgrades often, so going for AMD always makes the most sense to me. If I had the time and money to play games more often I'd probably go nvidia.