AMD Radeon Crimson Edition 15.12 December 17

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by twtaylor, Dec 17, 2015.

1. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Maybe we'll get another beta next week? If not, we probably won't see anything new until January. I was hoping for a crossfire profile for FO4. :(

CFX should be renamed CBA ("couldn't be arsed")

2. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i doubt well get another one till after the holdidays.

no one works in the US this time of year.

lol

3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Yeah exactly... Everyone will be back to work 1 or 2 weeks into January... So don't expect any new drivers until February 2016. Unless they have people working over-time somewhere :3eyes:

4. needlesnout

needlesnout Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 77xx
    I think this is more a matter of being more honest about how many open issues there are. In the past, the bug lists were very short or missing, yet things would silently get fixed over time.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I agree it's more honest now.

The problem is the real know issues is even longer than that.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Yet it's not resolved? Swell.

7. z8373767

z8373767 Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury Nitro 1070/600
    Did AMD forget about me? I can't install 15.12 WHQL, because my iGPU is legacy. That's sad.

8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I noticed that when uninstalling the Crimsons you are given the choice of uninstalling only the current gpu driver or else uninstalling all AMD gpu drivers--too bad AMD didn't think anything of documenting the function, because IIRC it defaults to uninstalling all AMD GPU drivers--which takes much longer. So if you are always uninstalling them all then it takes longer to reinstall, too. Hit the "change" button on the Crimson uninstall screen to change to uninstalling only the current driver. Maybe that will help...

After a few experiments I've found the best mix is to install the Catalysts and then use the device manager to install the latest Crimson drivers (into the Catalyst CC shell.) Works great--provides the latest drivers while still providing the full function of the Catalysts--including proper support for the new custom res utility--which ironically doesn't seem to work in the Crimson interface--but works fine inside the Catalysts shell. Also weirdly enough, I've noticed that the CCC uses less system overhead (ram) than the Crimson interface--at least by half.

No doubt in my mind that somebody at AMD pushed the Crimsons out months before the interface was ready for prime time. Since release, somebody @ AMD has really, really screwed up the driver numbering scheme (the 15.11.1b Catalysts from November 14 have been completely removed from AMD's site and replaced by the 15.11.1b Crimson drivers!) This latest 15.12 WHQL is the same driver already released--it is truly driver madness over there right now. Hopefully in the new year sanity returns!

9. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    its fixed for the 390x aprently.

390/290x/290 is still open.

10. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    Someone get me out of this MEss!

I have been getting BSODs continuously since the fateful day I decided to move to crimson drivers in windows 10. And now, I can't even run installation of any of the AMD drivers, not even the catalyst ones, without my system freezing. The crimson driver installation runs up to the the 50% mark whence the PC crashes to BSOD giving a THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error. I have tried everything, from doing a clean driver install using DDU to trying to revert to a older Intel HD 4000 driver (unsuccessfully), but nothing seems to work. The system tends to freeze even at startup, and it takes multiple restarts along with some luck to get it to respond.

My system is an alienware m17xr4 sporting a 7970M.

Any help would be appreciated. Please get me out of this mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Does anyone know how to stop VSR turning itself off every reboot?

@insomnia

maybe try "resetting" windows 10?

that's the fancy new name for repairing the OS

back up all important data and use the reset everything option

12. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    We can see about it. Upload the mindump or latest two to somewhere, then provide a link here.

Safe mode + networking would be fine to do what you have to.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    That's not clear at all.

Maybe it's only fixed in a single 390X GPU used by the drivers team.

:D

14. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    Thank you!

Thanks people for your prompt response. I'm a bit of a squib when it comes to playing around with the system. Would really appreciate if you could guide me step by step as to what I need to do.

15. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    Do step 2, then jump to 5 and continue: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html

Set Windows to see hidden and system files, if not already: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html

Then navigate to C:\Windows\ and right click on Minidump folder. Choose Take Ownership. Go in the folder and then take ownership of the latest file. Copy it to desktop. Then upload it to any online host. Copy the link given to a new post here.

16. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    How to upload to online host

The rest I have done as instructed. How do I upload the file to an online host?

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I prefer to keep my installations completely clean. I have Tunngle installed, and it might be their network adapter that causes the problem. I have it permanently disabled now, and I'll check the suggestion to disable all network interfaces the next time I install. I agree about the mess at AMD. On the other hand I believe that getting Crimson out fast, was a good move in the end. Since I'm not using Overdrive, I didn't encounter any kind of problem, and the driver is REALLY fast.

Is it actually fixed, or they simply say it is? It's funny they don't even acknowledge that it's a problem that all of their cards have.

18. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
  19. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
  20. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

GPU:
    ATI 7970M