AMD Radeon Crimson Edition 15.12 December 17

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by twtaylor, Dec 17, 2015.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    In another note, I just realized that the official AMD uninstaller deletes the DXCache folder. :infinity:

I have no idea why installation is so slow. In C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\AMD\CN\NewsFeed\244 there are 3.75MB of pictures. There is also a json file on the higher directory with the url of the pictures in there. I'm not sure if the timestamp indicates that the files were created during installation or not. Even in that case, my connection gets the files very fast.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just curious, how slow are we talking about it? Uninstall/install, how much does it take exactly?

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    thats pretty wierd, mine takes less that 10 seconds.

first time i installed it i thought that it creashed.

lol

4. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    installed super fast 1-9 seconds no issues so far on windows 10 pro RD_1

5. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Fast install here too. It was one of the first improvements I noticed upon installing Crimson

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's on the 10 minute plus range. The first release took 25 minutes. Does anyone know where the installation logs are placed? I want to check something again.

7. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Still can't enable crossfire for games with no profile. Glad to see AMD put a lot of work into this....

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This is not normal at all.

Install logs (XML i think) used to be here:

C:\Program Files\ATI\CIM\Reports

Look there or under "AMD" folders.

9. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Holy flying fireflies... that's definitely not normal mate. We have the same GPU, it takes mere seconds to install, never more than 30 seconds probably.

I've heard you mention this issue before, but I never imagined it taking more than 2 or 3 minutes.

I'm not sure how this might fix it, but can you try this; Flash an official BIOS (not modded) for your 7970. Then DDU, and install the drivers again... See if that fixes the problem... Maybe it's a card detection issue that's happening which is taking so long (thus leading me to believe it's a BIOS and drivers conflict issue, where the driver can't detect the card properly, and not knowing which driver to install)... If that fixes the issue, mod yourself a new BIOS.

10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Still no Crossfire support for Rainbow Six:Siege? I'd kind of like to be able to play it on Ultra settings if I could use the entirety of my hardware. :(

11. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    i'm going to ignore this latest version until a crimson releases with a new actual display driver.

12. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    still games profile can't apply on 7850.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I'm not referring to the installer archive, I'm referring to the actual driver files, those with .sys, .dll (for things like OpenCL), etc. The file sizes are noticeably different. If it were only a few lines of code changed you wouldn't normally expect such big differences. It is possible that they changed the compiler options would could result in the difference, or added support for the new Windows Insider preview (prelim Redstone) released around the same time, who knows.

Even if compiler options or versions etc have changed, it could impact performance. It would be interesting to see scores between this and the 30 Nov driver.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Don't read too much into the version numbers. The version numbers very often don't get bumped with beta --> WHQL drivers etc, but they could be much later builds.

The only part of the AMD driver that has supposedly proper build number information is CCC and now the Radeon Settings.

15. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Equal.

All at 1% or less difference (margin of error) in all tests but Mantle with +3% best in a test for one driver and +3% again best for the other driver in a different Mantle test.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  17. chronos64

chronos64 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 390 8GB
    I am having the same issue. The only way i can install them is to disable my net adapter first, then it doesn't try to get web content and installs just fine.

18. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    the clocks and fan seem to now be fixed but the damn VSR turns off on shut down / reboot

and i have to enable it everytime

19. WeSbO

WeSbO Guest

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    I don't know why the screen corruption issue hasn't found its way into the known issues yet, been going on since the Fury release... -_-

20. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Indeed, this is the most disturbing thing to me.

Even if AMD is genuinely unable to reproduce the corruption ... you'd think that enough people have experienced it, screenshot it (camera), etc by now including those that've RMA'd their boards (or RMA'd multiple times, like me) -- that it'd be at least officially acknowledged.

--The acknowledgement aspect is rather important for customer loyalty because it's like a promise indirectly that an issue is actually going to be fixed. It's an acceptance of responsibility for it.