AMD Radeon Crimson Edition 15.12 December 17

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by twtaylor, Dec 17, 2015.

1. haz_mat

haz_mat Master Guru

GPU:
    1070 FE
    From what I gather, that is some kind of Microsoft HTML library. I'd guess it might be calling home or grabbing ads to show. I noticed we no longer have that checkbox for "enable web content" while running the installer - it always annoyed me that they wanted to show that crap while installing a driver, totally bogus to waste resources and introduce a potential security risk.

Maybe blocking the installer with a firewall or disabling your network connection will get the desired effect.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I use no AV, Defender is closed by group policy. I manually scan things using Malwarebytes. The last memory check I did was when I switched my PSU about a month ago. It was the full version and the system passed it perfectly while overclocked. My system doesn't hang with Prime95 or has problems with any stress test. Everything else installs perfectly. The old AMD driver installs perfectly in under 30 seconds. This seems to stay where it is for a long time doing nothing. The install log in the end shows no errors or warnings.

3. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I used the cports utility from Nirsoft. The installer creates two tcp connections which I closed. The installation speed remains the same. This is what I have a hunch that is the problem though. It's like waiting for something from the mshtml library. If I click on the installer while it installs, it greys out and Windows give me the "Kill/Wait" popup. If I leave it the installation (eventually) finishes properly.

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    In another note, I just realized that the official AMD uninstaller deletes the DXCache folder. :infinity:

I have no idea why installation is so slow. In C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\AMD\CN\NewsFeed\244 there are 3.75MB of pictures. There is also a json file on the higher directory with the url of the pictures in there. I'm not sure if the timestamp indicates that the files were created during installation or not. Even in that case, my connection gets the files very fast.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Just curious, how slow are we talking about it? Uninstall/install, how much does it take exactly?

6. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    thats pretty wierd, mine takes less that 10 seconds.

first time i installed it i thought that it creashed.

lol

7. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Master Guru

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    installed super fast 1-9 seconds no issues so far on windows 10 pro RD_1

8. dabooga

dabooga Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Fast install here too. It was one of the first improvements I noticed upon installing Crimson

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    It's on the 10 minute plus range. The first release took 25 minutes. Does anyone know where the installation logs are placed? I want to check something again.

10. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Still can't enable crossfire for games with no profile. Glad to see AMD put a lot of work into this....

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This is not normal at all.

Install logs (XML i think) used to be here:

C:\Program Files\ATI\CIM\Reports

Look there or under "AMD" folders.

12. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Holy flying fireflies... that's definitely not normal mate. We have the same GPU, it takes mere seconds to install, never more than 30 seconds probably.

I've heard you mention this issue before, but I never imagined it taking more than 2 or 3 minutes.

I'm not sure how this might fix it, but can you try this; Flash an official BIOS (not modded) for your 7970. Then DDU, and install the drivers again... See if that fixes the problem... Maybe it's a card detection issue that's happening which is taking so long (thus leading me to believe it's a BIOS and drivers conflict issue, where the driver can't detect the card properly, and not knowing which driver to install)... If that fixes the issue, mod yourself a new BIOS.

13. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Still no Crossfire support for Rainbow Six:Siege? I'd kind of like to be able to play it on Ultra settings if I could use the entirety of my hardware. :(

14. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    imho, there is just something inherent to PR's system that does it. Probably using some rare software, or whatever the factor is - rare and fairly exclusive.
    Think along those lines I suppose. Doubtful that it is any kind of detection, because it gets installed properly, eventually. Can't think of much that would make that hang, but gut instinct leads to some kinda driver on the system, but I don't really know.

15. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    i'm going to ignore this latest version until a crimson releases with a new actual display driver.

16. elaganza

elaganza Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    still games profile can't apply on 7850.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I'm not referring to the installer archive, I'm referring to the actual driver files, those with .sys, .dll (for things like OpenCL), etc. The file sizes are noticeably different. If it were only a few lines of code changed you wouldn't normally expect such big differences. It is possible that they changed the compiler options would could result in the difference, or added support for the new Windows Insider preview (prelim Redstone) released around the same time, who knows.

Even if compiler options or versions etc have changed, it could impact performance. It would be interesting to see scores between this and the 30 Nov driver.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Don't read too much into the version numbers. The version numbers very often don't get bumped with beta --> WHQL drivers etc, but they could be much later builds.

The only part of the AMD driver that has supposedly proper build number information is CCC and now the Radeon Settings.

19. endbase

endbase Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
  20. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Equal.

All at 1% or less difference (margin of error) in all tests but Mantle with +3% best in a test for one driver and +3% again best for the other driver in a different Mantle test.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015