AMD Radeon Crimson 17.7.2 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jul 26, 2017.

1. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
  2. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    It's good they start implementing it now but it's by no means a replacement for MSI Afterburner or other similar software. Even Wattman today is very rudimentary, no profiles, granularity is a joke, many controls are just not there. I don't expect the OSD side to be much different.
    MSI AB not working is annoying, I know, but it's not the developers' fault that AMD changed how their drivers work and not AMD's fault for making a change either, it's their product and if they thought this would make it better then so be it. We just have to wait for that SDK update and everything will come back to normal. Until now Afterburner served me very well since version 2.

3. d0X

d0X Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2070S Ventus
    WattMan is a buggy mess. Voltages all over the place. They changed something bad in these. Trying to undervolt to 0.9V and getting 1V. They screwed with offsets or something.

4. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    nice! but i use afteburner/hwinfo64 also to have temps in windows systray

5. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Since I see people in here discussing the new driver features, Afterburner, etc, I guess I'll also give my 2cents on this.

---I've pretty mixed feelings with the driver directions (lately). The intention seems good, but the execution very bad.

On one hand (from the user's stance) -- It's good that AMD is starting to beef up their software / driver-features and control over their products, obviously noone is going to complain about this. We 'want' better software. Especially in trying to close the gap with NVidia [.. and or for AMD to prove that they care about their current deficiency, from the competitive stance]. (their software)

Putting their own spin on / integration of the heart of third party tools is great.

--I mean, people have been complaining for a long time of the massive number of tools that they need to run (on red-team). That's a very valid complaint.

From the eyes of a developer, not very good.
    Ask yourself essentially -- "WHY do these programs exist?" (Afterburner, ClockBlocker, etc)

You could give an argument of that graphics card vendors pay for the development of third party tools, yet that wouldn't be honest. I'm not even talking about how there exists a NEED (for their existence), or of the contribution of enthusiasts before licensing (as in the case of RivaTuner). Nope, as a core argument, software (from anyone other than AMD) exists purely because of a trust between AMD and said developer(s) that a platform will exist for development.

Imagine for example if Microsoft were to depreciate API's at an accelerated rate, or if say hypothetically GDI was discontinued with 8.1 or 10 (would be devastating). Sure, everyone can port their software / rewrite, or new applications may come out. Yet ... the more frequently that this is done, the less faith a developer would have in that they can release software and have it continue working.

In jist: "Adding" functionality is fine, AMD should add as much as they can. However, removal is BAD. Being pushed from API to API is not-good.
    AMD needs to stop depreciating their API's (without warning), and restore some faith here.

EDIT: To drive it home incase it's not that clear why I brought up Microsoft. Microsoft has done one thing really well throughout the life of their OS's, and OS release cycles. While some things have changed over time (eg, addition of UAC, manifests / SxS, etc), they've gone out of their way to ensure that old software keeps working virtually forever. That you can run say, a Windows 95 game with minimal effort on Windows 10.

This is a HUGE selling point for someone to write software for Windows. The confidence that Microsoft will generally not try to fight you. Or, put another way, unless AMD doesn't want third-party tools for their hardware, they should try to do better here.

**Consumer relations are good, but developer relations are also good. Maintenance of old API's and backwards compatibility takes effort, yes. However, that effort is an investment in getting people to develop software for your platform.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  6. Keff91

Keff91 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    Anyway, I already revert back to 17.7.1 because of the better stability when playing overwatch. (already test for few hours without any performance drop or crash)
    Alot people in the forum also complain issue of the latest software ..

I guess my issue here will be the 'software'.
    So for AMD add a new features is good, but they should also test the backward compatibility of the software.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Some news (both good and bad) on 17.7.2 overclocking compatibility with third party applications.

8. ldwar

ldwar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapp HD390x crossfire
    ty for sharing, Unwinder.

9. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Thx a lot for heads up Unwinder

10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S A|480 X
    Thanks for your prompt update, Unwinder. Even if the unofficial mode is troublesome for those models, it's always handy to leave it as an option for unaffected cards.
    It's a shame that AMD didn't send that SDK in advance for partners.

11. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Driver works great in all games for me.

12. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Anybody else notice that with 17.7.2, there is no longer a Mass Effect Andromeda CFX profile (do a search in the AMD Custom Profile page, or try running MEA with a CF setup)? Granted, CFX always had issues with this game, but its rather odd that nobody mentioned this change. I went back to 17.7.1 for this reason.

13. Pale Horseman

Pale Horseman Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    In this support thread, at least one Polaris user seem to have found a correlation on lag/performance issues with 17.7.2 to the Windows 10 Creator's update (which I use). His issues do not occur in Anniversary update.

https://community.amd.com/thread/218692

I wonder if the folks on this thread that say that all is fine are not Creator's Update users.

As for me, I do get <1sec freeze on mouse on desktop. No hardware monitoring tools active. Also, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided benchmark went down the drain. From 87 Max, 52 min FPS on Ultra@1080p, to 32 min and 64 max FPS. This was with Enhanced Sync off, (Vsync off and Freesync on). (Viewsonic XG2701 Freesync monitor).

Staying on 17.7.1 until the next one drops.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I love how we're indirectly forced to downgrade every time AMD release a broken driver because it takes forever for them to release a hotfix and in this case 17.7.1 in order to regain the ability to overclock with 3rd party software.

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Well, Wattman still works, and is what I used when the 390 hardware profile was b0rken in the earlier drivers. And LOL @ profiles, since Wattman already has per game profiles that work.

16. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I've updated MSI AB with new ODN X2 API support.

17. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    THX a million times

18. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Outstanding!:)

19. pakoo

pakoo Member Guru