AMD Radeon Crimson 16.2.1 Hotfix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by theoneofgod, Mar 1, 2016.

1. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060ti
    "Display corruption may be observed after keeping system idle for some time"
    OMG Finally... and yeah it actually seems to be fixed now. This has plagued me since i upgraded to Windows-10, i've been using a workaround task i made that runs a desktop refresh every so often, now i don't need it.

Another thing, i can now keep dxva enabled in the drivers, without random video crashing, so far as i have tested. Another damned issue that has plagued me since windows-10.

Looking good all around!

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I fixed the max clocks by cleanly installing 16.2.1 after the Windows Update. There was no rogue process, I checked using MalwareBytes and manually using Autoruns. Now it's ok.

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Then try using DDU again in Safe Mode, then install just the Vulkan driver.

If VSR stays enabled on each reboot, then it's Crimson that's bugged.
    Otherwise, it's DDU that's bugged.

4. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    So they fixed the clocks and hdmi issue, what about oc profiles on windows boot? Would like to know, would test myself but away from rig.

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Sounds like a bad GPU to me. Have you tried stress testing it?

6. Lurk

Lurk Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    sooo, is there a good way to install the latest set of drivers?
    I'm currently riding the "install Vulkan beta5 over 16.2.1 hotfix" bandwagon.
    Is this the right way to do it?

7. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Yes, I can't reproduce the issue.
    Gone back to Firefox from epic browser and so far no problems. :infinity:
    It's some software/os/driver f#ckup.

edit
    nope, same thing happend again blue screen while watching video in browser memory_management ntoskrnl.exe related :bang:
    maybe some old corrupted flash files idfk
    its 3 out of 4 times watching video online, but 4/4 browser is open

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  8. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    To me its the driver.
    Back to 16.1.1,because 16.2.1 give some strange noise on one video card vent and inconstant GPU clock .

9. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060ti
    I just uninstalled all AMD display drivers from control panel -> Programs and Features, then rebooted into safe mode to run latest DDU, then rebooted back into normal and installed the 16.2.1. Everything is fine.

Do we even need that vulkan one?

10. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    what are the anti aliasing levels available on the readon settings? I only have 8xeq as max. Is that about right? Considering my laptop with the omega 14.12 driver showing 16x. I thought it should go as high as 24xeq.

11. zerowalker

zerowalker Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 380

8xeq or normal is far enough if you ask me.
    Anything above is not visible (even 4x to 8x can be hard see depending on details).
    So you would be wasting resources.

But if you Can afford it with enough FPS for your taste,
    then by all means go as high as possible:)
    (Though i would recommend downsampling or supersampling if you got that power).

12. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Never used any driver anti aliasing for any game in the past, till i started playing mass effect 3 again a week ago. Problem with the game is that it doesn't play nice with vsr. The HUD becomes so tiny you can't see anything. Even on 1080p it took some getting used to it. So i thought i can try forcing aa via readon settings. Tested all above 4x and man even on that old game with 1080p i struggled to get 60fps even though i get above 200fps with default game settings. So i am leaving it to application settings for now. Is 8xeq that expensive? Even 4xeq hit the frames hard.

13. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    You got that right, couldn't have said it better.

14. THEAST

THEAST Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    8xEQ is maximum for MSAA. In the older drivers, if you switched to SSAA, the numbers changed and you could get from [I think] 16x up to 24xEQ which would actually be from 2x to 8xEQ SSAA. In the newer drivers this notation is not used anymore and the numbers are always from 2x to 8xEQ, and 8xEQ with SSAA would be the same as 24xEQ in the older drivers.

I also actually played and finished ME3 a while back, that game really needs some aliasing (a lot of it, actually). From what I can remember, I could get a very nice image output with 8x SSAA but I couldn't sustain 80 FPS (OCed monitor) with two (but semi-old) GPUs. Anything lower than that and the aliasing was not fully removed in some specific areas. In the end I resorted to 4xEQ SSAA + FXAA from RadeonPro.

And yes, Anti-aliasing is the most taxing option in any game since with AA, the 3D elements are basically rendered at a higher resolution. It gives much better output than VSR and doesn't usually cause HUD scaling issues, but it not supported by many games/engines. ME games for instance do not support AA normally and I always had to force the Mass Effect anti-aliasing profile from RadeonPro to get it to work. For your GPU, I don't think you would be able to use SSAA in that game with good FPS, maybe 4xEQ or 8x MSAA would work. Adding FXAA to that will help further reduce aliasing in certain cases but at the cost of blurring the image. Unfortunately SMAA, which causes less blurring than FXAA does, never makes much difference if forced over normal AA and is only useful if it is used alone.

P.S. In the old days people said that 4x AA will render everything at 4x the resolution and hence, will need 4x more power (or reduce your FPS to 1/4th). I don't think the calculation is that simple but it shouldn't be far from reality either.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  15. zerowalker

zerowalker Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    I thought it was just a different method, Edge-Detect or something (for 24x etc)?

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    EQ AA is MSAA with extra coverage samples. SSAA has nothing to do with it. To reduce shimmering you need AA with a temporal element. Unfortunately there aren't any around that can be forced.

17. THEAST

THEAST Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Hmm, maybe you are right and 24x, etc. were unlocked when edge-detect was enabled. The thing is, edge-detect is so slow I never found a situation in which using it was viable. You need to be running a game at 400 FPS or something to be able to have 60 FPS with 8x MSAA and edge-detect.

18. zerowalker

zerowalker Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Yeah, hence why i thought if you are going for something beyond 8x MSAA, Downsampling or Supersampling will do more for quality if it works well.

19. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    @THEAST - And VSR is basically SSAA (except the AMD driver also forces some amount of negative LOD offset with SSAA = sharper textures which compensates for the slight blurring of the resample phase] while VSR does not [unless the game itself has resolution based LOD scaling] and I have no idea about the actual algorithms at work but VSR is told to use whatever is build into the fix function 'display engine' hardware [my guess is bilinear] while software [shader] based SSAA can use whatever they care to code with custom shaders [bicubic, spline, anything...] or select from a small variety of built-in codes [bi- or trilinear, etc]).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  20. AngNL

AngNL New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4 G
    its a fix