AMD Radeon Crimson 16.2.1 Hotfix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by theoneofgod, Mar 1, 2016.

1. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

Beginning with the next driver release, the Radeon drivers will be known as “Radeon Software.” At the same time, similar to projects such as Ubuntu Linux and Android, AMD will be introducing a codename-like middle name to denote the “major version.” These names, which only fitting for the RTG will all be variations of red, will start with “Crimson Edition” and will change roughly every year as AMD introduces what they consider a new major version of the software.

The way I understand it is
    15.12 is "the" crimson edition, all non-whql drivers are called hotfixes delineated by the year/month plus which beta for that month. The next WHQL should just be called 16.3 crimson edition. After that until the next quarter all the betas will revert to the hotfix label and numbering scheme.

Didnt think it was that important or difficult.

2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    This driver appears to be the very same drivers from the vulcan release...but its has newer radean settings than 16.2....i know the older vulcan never even had the settings.

all i did was upgrade....since all it did was update the radeon settings

Radeon Settings Version - 2016.0226.1531.27895 (only thing newer for me)
    Driver Packaging Version - 16.15.1009-160213a-299302E
    Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1546
    Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.1180
    OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13430
    OpenCL™ Version - 2.0.6.0
    AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.108
    AMD Mantle API Version - 98309
    AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.0.2

vulcan sdk works for me....so yes on your question

3. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    great drivers, my frequencies now are maxed while gaming

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I downloaded 16.2.1 and checked OCL libraries. They are older 2.0.4 (Bad ones to say).
    You have newer ones from Vulkan as installer did not downgrade them.

5. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    y vulkans are better,but can't play fable legends with those, they make the game unplayable unfortunately

6. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    I'm with janos on this, reverted back to 13.12 after 16.2, won't even bother with this.

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    No, it just means the Vulkan driver installation probably has set something in the registry that enables your VSR settings to be persistent.

DDU is just trying to clean everything properly, driver registry entries included.
    If a driver set doesn't set registry entries properly on an installation, something tends to be b0rk'd.
    If like what you said when you didn't use DDU it worked fine, then it means the newer driver installation simply used the registry entry leftovers from a previously installed driver.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What is the problem with it? Aren't the 13.12 a bit too old?

9. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    well with this being the case......maybe ill be upgrading from here on out. do we need ddu anymore lol? makes yea wonder:)

10. Lurk

Lurk Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    ddu is a nice thing to have, but it shouldn't be over-used, and certainly it shouldn't become part of the driver installation routine.

11. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    CrossFire options in Crimson don't do anything. Can't disable CrossFire on a per game basis or apply predefined profiles.

12. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Profile overrides seem to work for me on 16.2.1 (and did on all Crimson versions), at least I can play Vermintide with the TW3 profile.

Disabling it, not so much, at least as far as Dragon's Dogma is concerned. Setting it to disabled on the game's profile does nothing, CF still works. Only disabling CF entirely stops it. Not that I want to disable CF in this game, mind you, it seems to work pretty well and I definitely need it. Odd thing is that there doesn't seem to be any actual profile associated if you search for it.

13. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    yeah most crossfire games for me that are recent ect have clocks jumping around like yoyo`s and usage jumping around like there on steroids lol

why cant clocks just stay @max clocks is beyond me or AMD for that matter.
    it does indeed cause glitchy gameplay or splurts or frames dips/drops and back up within seconds due to it. its like the R295x2 is trying to break up a GPU1 and GPU2 fight lol

though there use to be a work around by putting power limit @50% but we can throw that out the window cause mine has been around that for ages, and still issues.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    After the latest Windows Update in Windows 10, I seem to be stuck at max clocks >.<

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No such issue here. Any rogue 3D process?

16. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    This year,2016,i just upgrade Radeon drivers not uninstall them,to see what happens.Still good.
    But if they come with WHQL driver then i use DDU or just uninstall from Control Panel.

I'm not sure 100%,need to test with more games,but its just me or with these drivers the GPU need more power in games (TW3)?
    I see in HWinfo64 more 'GPU VRM Power In'(more Watt on Gpu core&Vram) than usual.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  17. billydydcoen

billydydcoen Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 OC TUF
    No, because from the first time i used DDU my driver start to get crazy. I had no problem having enabled VSR at each reboot, from the first DDU use i have only problem. It's a bugged utility, that's all.

18. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 3080
    You should report that bug on DDU thread and see if they can fix it.

19. billydydcoen

billydydcoen Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 OC TUF
    did it :)
    At the moment the only way to fix this problem is to overwrite 16.1.1/16.2/16.2.1 with the latest Vulkan beta 5 driver.

20. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Trying to find out where the issues are coming from that I have recently, therefore I'm trying to run sort of compatibility where ever I can, I had in mind that it could be the Crimson driver because it matches with the time the issues started, and it is better I must say, but not solved.

The short black screen for 1-2 sec. is gone now for instance, less flickering and texture related anomalies in BF4 Multi as well, still have random (non load related) ntoskrnl.exe related bluescreens from time to time, tested the *peep* out of everything, my last guess is browser/flash issue, because each time it happens the browser is opened.