AMD Radeon Crimson 16.1 Hotfix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d2kx, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Grabber

Grabber Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 7850
    No, I am using Chrome. That 8K video is in 4K smooth. 8K is laggy.

I tested some more videos. Those seem to play fine now, like they always did.

But this video in particular does strange. On Youtube, hick ups. Not smooth in VLC either. Under MPC-HC no problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64bUHbXpsL8

When I roll back to 15.10 problem is solved. Or a driver problem or that video can be blamed. I don't know.

2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I honestly don't know what happens. Does it downscale the image first or does the 8K data go directly to the monitor? If it is the latter, then it could be a bandwidth problem. If it downscale, then it's obviously not a bandwidth problem. Maybe someones can give us some insight on how this works.

3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I know man it's a magical video haha! Who knew...

Wait so when you rolled back the driver it fixed your issue because it was using the GPU to render? It's not a GPU issue I am sure because my GPU is being used 0% while watching the video... Both the HD4600 and the 7970 are not being touched... It's purely CPU Decoding and it's unbelievable stress testing...

I decided to let the video keep playing and it stressed my CPU more than 3DMark CPU Tests, more than AIDA64 Burn test, and I got similar temps to Intel Burn test (high 80's)... and touching 92 degrees on 1 of the cores too... It's insane. I never see such temps, it's a brilliant way to test your OC stability btw.

But yeah having said that, if everyone was still bloody using FLASH Player, you could force flash player to use the GPU with GPU Acceleration, but damn HTML5 I haven't figured out how to force it to use the GPU instead of the CPU if there is a way. I went through all the settings in Chrome Flags...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  4. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I'm using DP to HDMI and theoretically I shouldn't be able to run 4K @ 60FPS according to what you're saying... But I can, and it runs fine and extremely smooth too.

PS: Anyone interested in the 8K video posted at the end of Page 4, use chrome://flags/ and turn the FPS Counter ON...

Here's a picture showing 4K @ 60FPS running smoothly, and the 8K video absolutely killing my CPU.

PS: obviously I'm testing on Youtube via their HTML5, I'm not downloading and testing using a media player with GPU Acceleration.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Then it's not a bandwidth issue. ;) I honestly don't even care if 8K runs smooth or not. I will start to worry about that years from now. :p

6. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yeah same, but I have to say that I am surprised (and disappointed) that my 4790K @ 4.7Ghz isn't capable of pulling through. So 6 cores & 12 threads is the minimum I guess to run 8K smoothly. Or GPU decoding obviously... :nerd:

EDIT:

JUST FYI (anyone who is interested):

I used an extension that forces Chrome to use FLASH over HTML5 with Youtube videos and I can confirm that 8K videos are not even an option. All 8K videos show 4K as their maximum resolution, which probably means that Flash Player does not support 8K Resolution.

Also even at 4K resolution Flash Player with hardware acceleration enabled still used the CPU to decode rather than the GPU.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  7. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Can run fine and be extremely smooth but is not 60 fps using this adapter.Max 30 fps at 4K or 120 fps at 1080p.

The only way to have 4K/60 is using an DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter and the only one i know is still in backorder and will be available in a few days/weeks:

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/pr...layport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

The passive adapters we have now only convert to HDMI 1.4a (max 1080p/120 or 4K/30).

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This drivers f*** CFX.

I can't run Fallout with custom profile (enabling AFR).

I tested to modify CFX for COD:BO3 who has internal profile and get this: I can't disable CFX in this game even making a .exe profile for it.It still work even been explicitely disabled.

Good job AMD you lock CFX profiles for any game that have an internal profile to the settings you want.

If we try to set something different the game is broke or simply you completely avoid the customer settings!

Could be another "feature" for us.

:bang:

9. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1400 MHz
    "If i choose to run the video at 8K, does that mean that the 8K images gets sent to my monitor? If so, than it might be a (cable) bandwidth issue."

If you don't have an 8K monitor it will not be sent in 8K to it, or else you would get a black screen with a message that the resolution isn't supported. Unless it can downscale, but I don't think that there are monitors available for consumers that can downscale a 8K input to the screen's reso.

"Can run fine and be extremely smooth but is not 60 fps using this adapter.Max 30 fps at 4K or 120 fps at 1080p."

That is with a 4:4:4 RGB colour I suppose? 4:2:2 is 1/3 less and 4:2:0 is half of 444.

And sometimes hardware decoding only works in full screen I noticed, believe it was with Flash.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    With a passive (currently available) DP 1.2 to HDMI 1.4a the max res/fps is what i said, same for active one.

Look at the second compare table (red-green colored one) for full spec details:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

There you see HDMI 1.4a limits and HDMI 2.0 limits.

Passive DP to HDMI can get HDMI 1.4a, active one can provide HDMI 2.0 converted output.

That are hardware limits.

11. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    AMD crossfire application profiles still don't apply properly

Still introduces some kind of very strange "stutter" lag which is intensely noticeable in CS:GO, even with CF manually disabled.

Back to 15.7.1 again. At this point I think I'm going to have to switch to Nvidia just so I can get driver updates that actually work.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It's very possible CFX is still active even after you select to disable it for this game.Enable the option in old CCC to show the amd cfx logo in case it's working.

I guess this is the some problem i have: even disabling cfx making an .exe profile this new drivers avoid it and left cfx as it is if an internal profile for the game exists.

13. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    In my case there's 2 easy ways to tell: For one thing I can leave MSI Afterburner open on my second monitor and watch the CPU usage line. If it never ever leaves 0, the second card is not running. Another really weird way is that I use the F.lux program and when I launch CS:GO in CF mode the screen flickers badly. This does not happen without CF, and somehow without CF enabled CS:GO knows to ignore the flux settings and just use normal color.

It's all very strange but that portion I can live with. However I would really like CF application profiles to be working again and having a driver that actually properly runs my games is kind of essential.

14. Derko1

Derko1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Man, these drivers are getting larger every time... trying them out now.

15. Seren

Seren Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Crash dump was almost a gig, would take ages on my connection, ended up deleting it. Haven't had another 1 so far though.

16. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    VSR setting still fails to stick after a reset

it fixed itself in the 15.12 drivers somehow so it may do it again hopefully

i know its only 2 clicks to turn it on again but it is a pain in the ass

17. billydydcoen

billydydcoen Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 OC TUF
    vsr seems to stick for me, for the first time after the first crimson release and the 15.12. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

18. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    normal score for R9 290 is 11k,12k on gpu score ! u have a very good score ,dont' expect to reach higher , except on watercooled card and heavy o/c ;)
    a friend hits 11.800 points on gpu score with his R9 290

even for a r9 290X highly o/c , it s very difficult to reach 15k.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    The memory overclock may be borderline stable, try lowering to 1600 MHz (makes no difference in performance). Maybe this driver just pushes it over the edge.
    If you set the memory clock too high with not enough voltage, you'll get a black screen crash. Note the core voltage also affects memory oc'ability and you often need more than +100 mV for very high overclocks like that.

Also check for BIOS updates from Sapphire, some cards had the black screen crash issues more often and got an updated BIOS.
    Though for me at least all that update did was increase core voltage by 25 mV.

20. JulesCools

JulesCools Banned

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Awesome update. I hope you guys know that DDU is probably causing more problems than helping, neither AMD nor Nvidia design their installers with DDU in mind. I ran the installer and it said "Upgrade" ... and it upgraded the driver and everything from GTAV to Fallout 4 to Shadow of Mordor saw improvements and bug fixes. As for crossfire, same old story - it doesn't work well and neither does SLI. Old story, quit acting surprised.