AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.5.1 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2020.

1. bussoman

bussoman New Member

GPU:
    rx 480 8gb
    Hi I got an amd radeon rx 480 8gb gpu intel i5 2500k. Just downloaded these new drivers and got a strange problem running a game and putting the metric overlay on kills my fps as in stuttering etc... when I turn it off fps goes to normal and stuttering stops it only does it in 3d games not on desktop or watching videos, anyone experienced same problem?

thanks.

2. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S A|480 X
    If you read the previous pages, that's been a common complaint (overlay causing fps problems). You can always return to 20.4.2 whql.

passenger and MyEinsamkeit like this.
  3. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    And.... It is even officially stated in the driver release notes under known issues.... Reading them doesn't hurt....

rafaelluik likes this.
  4. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    on the other hand, you shouldn't need to read driver release notes

GSDragoon likes this.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I wish we could downvote

rafaelluik, gabsvm, Krteq and 2 others like this.
  6. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro W5500

7. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    well if you are happy with faulty products as a client, that's your problem. I'm not, I can understand it from time to time, but not every version, specially won't be telling other clients to read the manual over and over.

8. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Wait what? What faulty product? If you are not able to read release notes to any SW, then you shouldn't even use PC

rafaelluik, Passus and PrEzi like this.
  9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I think he's trolling. I find it hard for anyone to take him seriously.

10. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    well 4000 posts and 4 likes

I guess he is being serious enough

11. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    or he is just clueless

12. =GGC=Phantomblu

=GGC=Phantomblu Active Member

GPU:
    2 x XR 5700XT SE 8G
    Many complain about AMD drivers. I also thought of them as them, but now I have changed my mind. I am an insider in the Windows program I have tested AMD drivers in various environments and now I find myself for my choice to use Windows Enterprise LTSC without all the Future that Windows needs people. Well the result is that the drivers that you mention and that I use go a bomb. No type of problem whatsoever. So in my opinion also the stable versions of Windows Professional with Future, apps and the store are to be considered as beta as regards the same kernel for a more stable environment than the professional one. In practice the AMD drivers are working on more stable environments than at least two years behind. The problem in my point of view is the lack of stability of the Windows environment or at least the kernel due to the presence of apps, futures and others that invade the kernel of junk.By the way I use the AMD driver in Windows Enterpise LTSC 1809 17763.1282

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    or hes a rightfully angry pre-navi owner for whom the drivers were functionally almost perfect backt in december but now have issues.

14. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Then you are easily marketed then.
    I’ve pointed out my grips with the AMD’s drivers. Even provided separate threads discussing issues. I never once just called it a faulty product. Nor expressed that I shouldn’t read driver notes. Just stuck to the specific issues I had problems with. The same is said by individuals with nvidia problems.

You see, the kind of post you defend are exactly the kind of post I recall seeing from nvidias focus group members. And it gets old to see random generic “AMD sucks” posts. With people like you defending them by trying to claim specifics about a broad, generic hyperbolic posts as justified.

At the end of the day you are as much part of the problem as the trolls posting and you need to stop the nonsense politics. As we get it. You don’t like AMD.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Still wondering how that happened, I can understand New Navi being untested and having issues but the regressions and problems and existing ongoing issues from Vega, VII, Fury, Polaris and back to the 300 series is not a very good way to have the driver situation in for almost a year now together with the various maybe hardware, maybe software Navi GPU issues and there are still listed problems with GPU's like Vega.

EDIT: There's supposed to be testing and development routines to prevent these sort of breaking issues and maintaining what works without shipping software out in this state.

EDIT: Although part of it also hinges on a well maintained documented and properly coded base which I assume might be difficult to maintain without some extensive retooling or rewriting which in turn is a very lengthy affair if something like it was to be undertaken.
    Heard the state of the actual Microsoft Windows code has some fun comparisons with spaghetti so yeah old code new coders and long running API's and additions and however big the code base actually is and how much of it would need to be reworked or simply remade which is not a small task. (Just the attempted retooling of the OpenGL driver code for DOOM3 took a year plus and ultimately didn't pan out as expected from what info is known from way back when that happened.)

PrEzi likes this.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Unless they were foolish enough to copy paste NAVI10 into existing driver code if statements, its likely the unsafe changes made in the new catalyst UI.

AMD lost a fair bit of software talent to IBM and Intel.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah that's a possibility, still there's so much that just shouldn't be or should not have made it into release state drivers with the issues or missing features or broken functionality that exist and then regressions and ongoing unsolved issues on earlier hardware.
    I like the hardware but the situation makes it kinda tough to recommend the GPU side of AMD over the competitor even with a 50 - 100 US / EUR price premium or a bit more when the other team actively responds to feedback and fixes it even if there are regressions and breaks between major branch jumps it gets worked out and resolved and communicated. :)

It can still improve and get better but it can also break entirely as this gets fragmented when Navi20 hardware and all that happens and splitting development focus or more likely shifting it to this and hopefully with less problems when these launch although that's not going to look good for existing GPU owners. (Upgrade if you want it to work like expected?)

VP9, OpenCL, multi-display and more (That mouse cursor and vsync glitch.) being quite documented and confirmed but still unfixed really doesn't make for a favorable picture on recommending AMD even as the GPU hardware has it's good points.
    (Some of these having longer running software workarounds in affected programs also isn't a positive thing nor is AMD not actively responding to issue reports here.)

Well time to see what 20.6.1 can do, about all that can be done is wait and see and read up on how things have changed or remained.
    Vanguard is doing good work too there's multiple pending issues that have been replicated and reported but again they haven't been fixed though that is not their fault but what is AMD even prioritizing here with these drivers now ha ha.

EDIT: And then the current pandemic of course but even before that hit there were issues although it certainly isn't helping the current state of things until it passes whenever that might be.

18. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If it ever gets to the point that the drivers become agregious I will simply buy a PS5 or xbox series X. I have no desire to pay hundreds more for Nvidia with just as many issues.

The whole reason why I do this is to play games. Sometimes you have to look at the whole forest instead of the tree that's in front of you.

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Gaming wise if the vsync bug gets resolved with the next driver that should be a good improvement, stuttering, framerate fluctuations and random bouts of instability still is a concern though.
    The way the card just downclocks so aggressively in some games even under D3D11 is something I don't think AMD ever addressed other than keeping it as a listed known issue for a while, DXVK is a nice extra but unless the game itself is just busted (Persona 4 Golden recently.) in some way then this is just a workaround for a different issue in the drivers on how the card is scaling although AMD has made improvements but it's not perfect yet.

Low level API wise there's extension issues for Vulkan and something with the shader compiler AMD acknowledged months ago but didn't resolve, not sure on the D3D12 side of things there's a lack of one of the WDDM 2.6 features but it's not a huge deal and for WDDM 2.7 / D3D12.2 / DirectX 12 Ultimate that's coming and just needs some more work.

Crashes and stability is more of a unknown and could be down to hardware or so many other factors not just the GPU, AMD has resolved a lot of black screen crash situations but there's still more that is being investigated although I don't believe there's any actual details on what this issue or issues actually are even now.

Most games run and you can work around Radeon Settings Software issues around ReLive or the overlay if it causes problems though performance can improve as can framerate or frame time variance and stuttering which I hold as a pretty important issue even if it's not critical like outright stability whether the driver, software or the entire OS.

EDIT: These are varied in effect though, not everything is (was?) Witcher 2 or Minecraft levels of single-digit framerate and not everything is a 20+ performance gain when put through DXVK with a lot of games running pretty well overall at this point even for D3D11 :)

EDIT: And sometimes the very game *has* issues that is also important to keep in mind.
    https://metacouncil.com/threads/persona-4-golden-steam-megami-tensei-out-now.2064/

https://abload.de/img/p4g_2020_06_14_02_49_irj43.png
    https://abload.de/img/p4g_2020_06_14_02_51_pmjt3.png
    (Think this corresponds to a 2080Ti GPU.)
    (It kinda caps out at 240 FPS but that's a bit over a 63% increase I believe I got it to.)

https://www.ign.com/articles/persona-4-golden-pc-port-analysis

(Plus issues around the framerate limiter and framerate cap.)

20. elaganza

elaganza Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    try to switch off Frame Limiter if you got it on(In Radeon Control Panel). Helps for me.