AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.2 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 28, 2020.

1. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    Yeah, some more fixes are always welcomed (and needed to help bring the good reputation back).

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 - RX 590
    You mean in the motherboard Bios ? I have never touch that setting and is the first time i heard of it that affects amd software. I will give it a quick try and see if it does something. Thanks and appreciate it for you trying to help me.

I will show you later the behaviour and crash , sometimes it shows a bar with the amd letters of the amd software suite trying to open , windows does not blue screen or black screen or hard crash , just the amd software suite.

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Not sure how or why but MW 2019 shader cache loading now works...
    [​IMG]

There are authentications issues being reported tonight. I can only assume that has something to do with shader caching on PC. Because now I'm seeing it for the 1st time since the last 2 updates.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Maybe it got updated or something, I don't use AMD's cache much though (Although with 2020 you have to turn it off via the registry as the option somehow went missing in the settings software itself.) though periodically clearing it and the games own cache if any should also work but I think this was mainly on the games side and the cache hit some snag or otherwise and hopefully that's been fixed if it's working now. :)

Long as it invalidates or clears when the game itself or the display drivers are updated manual cleanup shouldn't be required and even on a over the existing install for AMD's drivers the D3D cache gets emptied out although I can't say much for the game and how that behaves haven't played any of the newer COD's at all since they jumped over to the Battle .Net client instead.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.

5. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    2080S
    I gave them a try, no luck. After 3rd game CTD, and 2 black screens& sound loop=> restart, I went back to 19.12.1
    Radeon7.
    I even lowered frequency to 1740Mhz, no improvement...

6. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    Try to lock the GPU at P1 state minimum (you can even lower it to match more or less the P0 minimum, which was for me 852) and bump the P1 voltage to a little bit higher than P0 (in my case P0 was 800, P1 I've bumped to 810). It helped me at least with the remaining black screens. Not sure about the CTD's as I haven't had this issue with my VEGA64 Liquid cooled edition....

Of course this is only a workaround and it causes a little bit higher temps in idle.... but better that than Black screens....

OnnA likes this.
  7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    DOOM is due tomorrow for some people..streamers etc..maybe we will see a small driver.

8. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Can you show me how to disable it through the registry? I want to try it out just to see if there is any difference or not.

Battle.net has improved drastically since it's inception. It will now self exit when you start a game so it doesn't stay in the background like Steam. And, I really do wish Steam offered a self exit option when you start a game. Because when running 3dmark from Steam I notice a hit in performance vs 3dmark without it.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it doesn't.

10. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Wasn't the whole purpose of shader caching was do to ATI loading into games a lot slower then Nvidia back in the day? Is that still a thing now that games are using shader caching?

I recall this issue way back in Call of Duty World at War were nvidia users were claiming they were waiting for everyone else to load up on certain maps, etc.

Example thread:
    https://hardforum.com/threads/cod-waw-slow-load-times.1419782/

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  12. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\]
    "ShaderCache_NA"="0"
    0 to disable
    1 to enable.

You can use RadeonMod program for easier editing.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    That is one issue I had but haven't tested in a while when AMD introduced the driver shader cache functionality where the cache remained identical after the game I compared with had updated including shader changes though a manual cleanup works and AMD now has a method for this in the Catalyst Settings making it even easier.

Call of Duty and if it still has it's multitude of shaders per level would be fairly sensitive to updates and old cache data for any changes if that isn't cleaned or updated maybe even more so if there's a mix of the games own cache and AMD's or NVIDIA's cached shaders remaining.

Reminds me somewhat of the situation with No Man's Sky or emulators like Cemu and for what Eastcoasthandle mentioned Beenox was responsible for the PC version and the game had (Still has?) a issue with there being no way to clear the cache without manually finding where it's located and clearing it this way should there be any shader related issues from existing or earlier cache data.

Changes in the driver might necessitate cleanup and changes to the game might also require earlier cached data to go so that could be a problem, unfortunate so hopefully that gets fixed at some point.

EDIT: And yeah that should be the shader cache key with values corresponding to AMD Optimized, enabled (globally) or just disabled with the global profile being AMD Optimized or disabled before and the per-game profiles I think was on or off.
    (That or one of the similar named ones, think AMD also has a few keys defining if a feature is available or not so it could be one of those but the name should be similar and easy to find if so.)

Global catches just about anything using the GPU although the AMD Optimized default also catches a few running processes and services such as for Windows 10 some of the apps and the shell itself and related tasks but it shouldn't be a issue it's just a few extra smaller cache files.

EDIT: As AMD builds a library of game profiles the amount of supported working and hopefully tested titles getting shader cache support grows without risking programs or other services or apps that could be problematic also getting involved with AMD's driver process and shader caching when just set to be globally on which can only be done via registry.

And I would imagine as games grow to encompass from hundreds to thousands to tens of thousands of shader files for a few titles these caches could be very important for improving load times, reducing hitching and overall smoothness of the game as it's running.

Well assuming there are no driver bugs or game bugs in how this is intended to work that is, going by a few edge cases and reported issues and details on these through DXVK unfortunately there are or were some titles that could be sensitive to this though part of that would also come from the nature of being a wrapper and DXVK itself.
    (Though later improvements to both it's code and Vulkan's own feature set and parity with D3D11+ has improved things from my understanding on this matter.)

AMD's drivers themselves were updated a few years ago for one of the earlier Call of Duty games increasing the previous max size of the shader cache file generated so even then that and a few other titles generated a pretty huge amount of total shader files. :)
    Think you'd get a 8 - 16 MB file or so and then this was 128+ MB which was the prior limit that's quite a lot comparably.
    (But then Call of Duty also had a per level cache generation often also running during the first startup or level load at least once so you'd get a lot of files from how that was arranged too.)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Appears DOOM Eternal snuck out early. :) AMD 20.3.1 tomorrow.

Jackalito and LocoDiceGR like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there are review copies active, but the general public won't get activated till tomorrow.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Ah right it unlocks on the 20th which for a rolling unlock would be starting 10 - 11 hours from now with New Zealand, Australia and then so on. Going to be a lot of people moving the regional preference on XBox I expect ha ha.
    VPN and what else is still a thing, don't skirt the prices much as that is still incredibly popular but unlocking stuff is also still a thing.

20.3.1 today or tomorrow would be nice whatever improvements AMD can do on their side, demo for Resident Evil 3 should also appear but I expect the RE Engine to be fairly well tuned now though they might need to match up the exe or Steam ID in the drivers and who knows what enhancements or updates the engine has seen this time.

EDIT: Wonder what the ray tracing stuff will be, likely NVIDIA only with the general Khronos extensions landing only now and who knows when the general driver releases will have those featured but we'll see.

Reflections seem like a obvious candidate for this mix and matching, Shiny As Hell(tm) or what it could be called. :D

Engine should have dynamic shadow mapping and such (Or less baked at least.) again as of idTech7 so improvements to those could also work or overall occlusion and that, not sure on global illumination but that'd be the big visual difference for how the game would look if implemented although I imagine it is also the costliest to add or at least enable outside of the higher end GPU models.

EDIT: But that's a discussion for elsewhere perhaps, impressive results already though looking forward to seeing more of it much as it's going to be a balancing act early on. :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  17. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    Thanks for reporting the black screens. I'm the one who is interested in when the ├╝berdriver 19.12.2 rolled out.
    Since the typical kernel-power sickness with that nvyxz.dll in the last century, I haven't had that many problems with a GPU driver.
    still using 19.12.1 and not looking forward to even install 20.3.1 o_O

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    unlikely.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  19. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Ray Tracing support is already baked in Radeon SW drivers since last year but feature support is not exposed yet by driver.

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    There's also some odd wording on Bethesda's part but eh it's not in the game yet so it would be nice to have it using the general extensions when it does get added in a future update. :)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/782330/allnews/

So there is a 20.3.1 though that's a test driver but it bodes well for a public release driver perhaps tomorrow when the game comes out? One can hope at least. :D

What is a RTX Enabled Ryzen GPU.

EDIT: Of course if you push the settings way high and if they mean the newer onboard graphics chips that might exhaust things a bit but the wording is quite something for what I am reading of that at least.

EDIT: Also Ultra, Nightmare and Ultra-Nightmare.
    Why not just call it Hell or something for the max tier instead of combining the two lower tiers. :p

Eh it works and it's at least not confusing unlike the "Gamer" terms used by Crysis 2 trying to be all fancy initially.

EDIT: Oh and those are new NVIDIA drivers too, thought the .72's or .74's were out but nope it's .59 and then a Vulkan beta driver but that's generally on a different branch even if the err visible version numbering like this keeps increasing so it's 442.75 for that one. :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Jackalito and LocoDiceGR like this.