AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.1 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Shellar

Shellar Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    not sure I'm reading this right and you're are not advocating to ignore this. My understanding your post / reading this literally / options are: I don't think you're trying to downplay this problem with "if you have no servers then CVEs don't apply to you: (I do have few servers and AD domain in my household), or the sky isn't falling (I know), or scenario where it matters / apply to me (I don't know any CVE papers covering all possible problem, scenarios/ saying what you're saying (is it wrong if I just don't want to take the risk given that both 19.12.1 and 20.1.4 are okay with my workload). So, what are you saying?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah it's the shader clock state was curious so I tried looking into it a bit more.

https://gitlab.com/corectrl/corectrl/issues/41

Linux but it gives a little insight into how it scales and how it differs from Windows and there's the sahder clock speed also core clock speed plus the memory clock and that voltage works as a curve and then ranges and the states and such.

Nice simple and effective or it will be once the 5.6 kernel implements the functionality for Navi. (Which for 5.5 apparently it's somewhat of a WIP state, learned something there too on the state of the driver situation also not being entirely there yet.)

[​IMG]

Still not entirely sure how it scales beyond clock speed and voltage curve plus the whole GPU load and clock speeds dropping issue which hopefully will be resolved along with .. everything else there's kinda a whole lot of stuff that needs fixing and it sort-of varies between being quite important if not critical plus it's taken a long time for several of these issues like the ongoing multi-monitor problems, recurring hardware acceleration issues of various sorts and then this and whatever many issues actually make up this black screen stability problem.

EDIT: Well functionality overall is similar on Windows though the whole layout and numerous menus and where everything is has become quite messy and overall Wattman still has it's quirks for how it works and when it works.

3. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
    AMD Drivers are far from perfect (bug free) considering all their GPUs, use cases and platforms.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Jackalito, MaCk0y, PrEzi and 3 others like this.
  4. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    So the freaking VEGA issues I was having since at least two or three months were known all along, but AMD / RTG would rather blantly ignore them and it seems it help to lock the HMB memory at 3D clocks....

OnnA likes this.

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    That's an old one for Vega64 (Around the time the GPU came out actually.) that should have been fixed since but might have regressed but yeah instead of P0 you just lock P1 as the lowest allowed state for memory speeds.

Not sure if it's bios or if it's just Vega56 and Vega64 but the states differ or at least they did for the Vega 56 Pulse which used 500 Mhz and 800 Mhz whereas Vega 64 well aside from the clock speed differences (Samsung memory instead of Hynix HBM2 I think it was.) also used a additional 166 or 133 something like that Mhz P0 idle state. :)

EDIT: Not sure if HBM is affected either by the refresh rate clock cycle on the display and bandwidth needs over 120 Hz which also pushes memory clocks into active instead of idle speeds although that would make it the full 940 Mhz something instead of the mid state so slightly higher power draw and slightly higher temps.
    (Nothing critical as the component is still handling a idle workflow but still a thing.)

EDIT: Also if this happens even after setting P1 as the lowest allowed memory clock state then that's a different issue entirely and the regression for Adrenaline 2020 (Or earlier?) which also affects Vega and Polaris and possibly earlier making them unstable...somehow.
    (It's all kinda random and hard to narrow down because it works on some systems and is completely unusable on others and there's no clear common factor that I can see at least.)

OnnA likes this.
  6. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    Jonas --- any tips on perfoming this (;locking at P1 or even P2 state) in the least invasive way? I don't want to have e.g. Afterburner constantly running.... Modifying BIOS also doesn't look nice in my eyes...

P.S. Was I correct that playing with the powerplay tables _might_ have solved it for OnnA and would also be a possibility?

7. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Not Jonas, but maybe can still help - try Wattman?)
    Seems you'd have to check if it resets on reboots, though...

PrEzi likes this.
  8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yes it's via AMD's Overdrive or Wattman settings you just click the P1 to P7 states and it should have settings for what to override as minimum and maximum.
    What I do or well what I did was to set P1 for memory and GPU core clocks as the minimum as I didn't need the low-clock states over the extra bit of performance and since the GPU workload is still overall very low it's not that big of a bump in power usage and heat. :)

Wouldn't recommend using the other higher states for GPU clocks or the max memory state for this though as it's ineffective and Vega scales pretty well overall. :)

Open up Wattman enable it / agree to the EULA and then for the GPU memory and GPU core clocks you should have the P0 - P3 state for memory and P0 - P7 for the core speed which you either click or right click on and there should be a option for setting it as the min (Or max but that's not what's needed.) which then works around the problem here. :)

As for the issue itself I'm not sure but I suspect it's possibly down to binning and the workings of issues with the HBM even if the Samsung model of memory is better overall for how it clocks and performs you still have a lot of variance and issues with overall degradation over time though that's more for users pushing it past the 1 Ghz threshold or even higher but the voltage is and remains hard locked at up to 1.35v I believe and 1.25v for Vega 56 bit higher than spec and with clocks a bit above reference but lower than what AMD wanted initially. (1.2v voltage for 1 Ghz memory clock speeds I believe it was.)

So I suspect the lowest state and resulting minimal voltage simply might not be entirely stable depending on GPU and binning but that is just a guess though if it's required then you can just disable the P0 state as described and use P1 instead which I think is 500 Mhz or possibly 300 Mhz and then it's the 500 one and finally the full 940 or what it was on Vega 64 :)

That or it fluctuates due to state changing and switching and the low voltage isn't fast enough so it goes to P1 but the voltage isn't quite enough so display signal goes off and the GPU kinda crashes since it can't maintain stability and it's not just a simple software or driver crash.
    Advanced overclocking tools might allow some tuning but unfortunately AMD didn't open up for memory voltage adjustments via software so no way to manually push some extra voltage for the P0 state to work around it while maintaining the idle speed power and temperature savings this allows for even if offset by running with a bit more voltage for stability. :)

PrEzi and LocoDiceGR like this.
  9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Also yes especially if fast startup is enabled AMD doesn't retain Wattman settings on restart and the software thinks it crashed or reports as such so you'd have to double check so it actually uses these settings or save them to a profile and make it a routine to on reboot open up Catalyst Settings and then load said profile to ensure it's set. :)
    (I just disabled fast startup by also disabling hibernation which it's reliant upon as I had no need of these but it remains a AMD driver issue since basically fast startup was implemented in Windows.)

EDIT: Or the settings just reset anyway, it's not a bad idea to check or at least just load the saved XML profile.

AMD kinda likes to do a driver check in the background which also is also stored into a XML though as a report of sorts so you might have a driver.xml and the actual Wattman profile .xml file in the same folder as a result but eh it's not too big of a deal just a thing. :D
    (Happens every time Radeon Settings is started if it's been terminated or just removed from starting with the OS for example as something it just does.)

10. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    Thanks both of you! I never noticed I could actually click on the states to lock them lol :D
    Just to be sure I have locked the mem @800 (P2 for mem for a Vega64 Liquid)...

Might aswell try to do it with 500 later.... but frankly speaking.... after hundreds of black screens with the 2020 drivers (I started to think my 128GB RAM @8 banks populated with DS @3200 / whole TRX40 platform was unstable ... LoL) I kinda... need this break from constant hard resets...

And I truly understand all the users that returned back their cards and have gone green....
    I mean... I really want to support the red team, but... even for a kinda slight fanboy like me it was nearly enough to start to think about switching to the green goblin...
    Even Adored posted a video about it.... which on the positive side helped me to FINALLY narrow the issue down and get some workarounds from you guys.

Digilator likes this.

11. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Hope works for you)
    Do try to test your RAM if in doubt again - Memtest and/or AIDA64(can load both RAM and CPU at same time, which at least in my mind tests things better than just RAM).

I played quite a bit with my BIOS settings, thinking it is possibly my system. I even dropped CPU clocks by maybe 500MHz, thinking my OC was not fully stable. Loosened RAM timings, even though it was stable under the AIDA64 stress test - all at once, minus disks, to stress the system. Played with AMD settings and FSO... For sure frustrating. My main games seem solid. Don't really need HW acceleration for browsing - even YouTube 4K 60fps videos play fine. Only black screen is after waking system. If that is fixed soon, may as well stick with AMD, unless things get worse with game support...

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    OCCT's been pretty good for when I was testing the GPU for clocking and voltage adjustments with the 5700XT I'm now using and it's fairly stable too for when it does hit on a error and those usually occur around 3 - 5 minutes though longer testing can also be helpful. - https://www.ocbase.com/

Still free for now with some extras in the paid versions, helped narrow down a solid undervolt and it's customizable too plus the info on the website has some good recommendations for what to use and how this works. :)

EDIT: However it still doesn't hurt to test how the GPU driver performs in various games and under API's particularly for D3D12 and Vulkan which might stress the card in somewhat different ways or utilize it more and thus what seemed stable under OGL or D3D9 to D3D11 might actually not be fully suitable for these low-level API's or just certain games although it seems pretty clear that the driver itself goes a bit ballistic in a few games which is also important. :)
    (The stability problems with 19.12.2 / Adrenaline 2020 in Battlefield 5 compared to earlier possibly from AMD trying to optimize it more even if it affected stability might be one such example.)

13. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    Some problems I'm getting but these are typical to Radeon. First, Doom on first boot displays at super low res, ok, but then after setting it to the proper res rtss overlay refuses to work with it (I've never been able to resolve this every time I install a new AMD card). It's gone for good. I hate this sh1t. Why does Doom boot to 640x480 on first launch with AMD cards? I mean, gpu scaling isn't on by default, so you will boot to a black screen. How the holy hell do I get rtss overlay working with it again?

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Radeon is going to shits. Amd worst enemy are themselfs. Shame becouse hardware is great.

Jackalito likes this.
  15. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    I kinda hate My rad 7 because I didn't exactly win the silicon lottery so it's a difficult beast to tame, but it's a shame these driver issues are plaguing Navi cards because the Pulse 5700XT is an excellent card otherwise. :/

Also Nitro+

Jackalito and Strange Times like this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  17. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Reposted in Navi thread.

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Good thing i dont have any problems :)

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Becouse you didnt upgrade. Even if you want to upgrade where do you go from here? Trying your luck with these half baked navi drivers or just go with nvidia?

20. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    I have two radeon icons in sys tray now. Why. :/

Will this make my card twice as fast. :confused: