AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.1 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Seems to improve the behavior at least following the discussion, still clocks down but avoids the low almost near idle state and the clock speeds for that thus improving performance ... somehow.
    Was under the impression ULPS was mainly Crossfire related allowing GPU #2 formerly known as the slave back in the early days of the dual cables and all that to go down to near inactive as a performance saving measure.

Somehow AMD coded it as a default behavior and added no toggle for it so users have been regedit disabling the thing ever since or other software handles it because it tended to misbehave every now and then and this resolved the problem.

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Any news on a new driver with the black screen fix ? They are slow as snails on the driver department at AMD :( , hardware is as good only as the software that makes it work. I would like to use newer drivers on my back up PC with a RX 590 but i cannot since i too suffer from the black screen issue , so is not only the 5700 video card issue as Polaris are affected too. The longer they take for a solution the more money they will bleed as people have read the horror stories all over the net and are not buying new AMD cards anymore due to all the driver bugs.

I am all into supporting AMD but if all this driver problems continue i will only buy nvidia cards from now on. AMD need to get on top of the game and instead of releasing heavy bloated software , give us the choice of what we want to install from the driver package as i hate their new software suit as i do not stream , do not need AMD to tell me to update , any advisors ...

Halfmead likes this.
  3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It has been fixed for me for several driver releases now.
    I only wish this news of B/S issue hit the media last year. Because that was when I was noticing the problem. But that has since stopped for me for sometime now.

The timing of it, when AMD acknowledge it and fixed it with more on the way, is disjointed to me as a Navi owner. It's like being told it was raining outside after it stop with the sun shining. The only traces left that it did rain was that the ground was wet. Yet it's now a thing to tell everyone in the office. :confused:

Furthermore, are we to expect someone with a 2080ti to be interested in 5700xt?

4. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Well, for some users it is still raining. Some of the issues were fixed, yes, but not all.

5. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    For me when I look outside and see the sun shining and it's clear. It stop raining. As a 5700xt owner I can only speak of my experience with my hardware.

Passus likes this.
  6. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Obviously we can only share our own experiences (or in case you also build PCs for others -- sometimes throw in some additional cents into it).

For me it doesn't yet look good, but for the few people I've build the PCs in the last few weeks (with AMD GPU's that is, and based on either 20.1.3, 20.1.4 or 20.2.1 drivers) it does look better. And I am talking about a mix of Polaris (RX570, RX590) and Navi (5700XTs mostly) GPUs.
    So I truly believe that for some --- the problems are fixed.
    Pity I am still in the last few percent.... but Trump forces me to keep my hopes up LoL :D ->
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...wnload-discussion.430594/page-10#post-5761235

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  7. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    Hey, there is a bug in 20.2.1 when setting custom color like bumping saturation for just 1 game profile. The custom color gets applied globally on desktop because the global color setting is modified instead of local one. maybe you can pass this faster to right people than reporting on amd. thanks

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Yes, in First Tab (0000 most likely) and Power Savings\Enable ULPS.

9. Halfmead

Halfmead Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    So, I removed MSI Afterburner/RTSS - Rainmeter - CPU-Z - Disabled hardware acceleration in chrome/Discord and everything in the stupid Radeon stream section is also turned off.
    I have Freesync - Image sharpening and color control (saturation) ON.

Now, this is about as clean as i can have my system... and still the random black screens every 1 -2 hours :/ played Fallout 76 for a couple days since i can start that game through Radeon without opening the Bethesda Launcher..oh and also closed down Steam ofc ;).

Doing these steps have done nothing at all, the black screens are completely random no matter what hoops i jump through... 1 monitor setup btw and have done DDU AND AMD Clean utility re-install also.

Now, i know someone will say re-install whole PC... and to that i say, should that really be nessecary just caus' i bought a new GPU ? seems kinda excessive to me for something that may not even be a windows problem for once lol.

Worst part... i can't even in good conscience gift this GPU to my WOW Farming 70 year old Mother, I'd have her on the phone every 2-3rd hour then lol..... Pls AMD Driver team, work this out, give us a DRIVER and let us worry about 3rd party tools for OC/Monitoring (make the whole stream/advertising(really)/fluff optional at least).

PS.
    * EnableUlps is turned OFF (0) in Regedit
    * EnableCrossFireAutoLink should i turn this off as well ? since 1 GPU system

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  10. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    What PSU are you using? Are you using single pcie cable to power the card?

11. Halfmead

Halfmead Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    CM650M with single 6+2 cable - never had problems before and system not OC'd (GPU is with the flashed bios update though).

12. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    A lot of people fixed their issue(s) with at least a Gold rated 750 PSU. Using a separate pcie cable for each pcie connector on the card.
    When they did that they stop having issues. The reason for a beefier PSU is so that they could stay within the power efficiency around 80%. And I know that the 5700xt does not work well using a single pcie cable. You have to use 2 separate pcie cables.

Some of those issues were:
    Blackscreens
    reboots
    low frame rates
    etc
    I don't remember them all, this was last year.

13. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    Lets all buy 1000w psu. Problem fixed. If still happens @Eastcoasthandle will pay the fees for delivery and RMA of psu and video card.

PrEzi likes this.
  14. Halfmead

Halfmead Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Well, card is a single 8-pin connector, i doubt running 2 separate 4 pins to the GPU would do anything ??, so aside from maybe getting a 750/850 supply. Current is 1 yr 2m old so it's not old age either ;)
    thanks for input.

EDIT:
    Under stress the powerdraw is ~425W.. that is total system, this should fit nicely with a 650 80+ bronze so i think i'll rule this out, since as i said before, i had no issues whatsoever before my switch to 5600XT.

AlleyViper likes this.
  15. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Huh, that's odd I thought your gpu description read 5700xt.

This is the dumbest thing I ever read. I guess a 400watt psu would fix everything.

16. Halfmead

Halfmead Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Nope, 5600XT as it says.. :)

17. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    My black screen issues stopped with the 2020 driver release back in December. I recall only getting it back in the October/November time frame. Since then I've not had them and we are talking a few months later.

But there is another thing too, my monitor came with an update specifically for radeon cards. I updated that as well around that time come to think of it. But in either case all is well.

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  19. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    If you initially build your PC with a Potato triple AAA battery instead of a PSU then this (buying a good PSU) might solve your issues, crashes and instabilities.
    But please, PLEASE stop spreading FUD that people should now switch to 750W gold certified PSUs to solve the issues. Especially if the black screen issues happen mostly in 2d/video scenarios where the card is idling.
    If your PC is crashing is not stable in all around scenarios (2d/3d) etc. then you have general issues that need investigation anyway.

A good quality 650W bronze certified one is good enough for a 5700XT with some fancy RGB stripes and a few HDDs.

MerolaC, MaCk0y, LocoDiceGR and 4 others like this.
  20. McSwiggans

McSwiggans New Member

GPU:
    RX 5700XT
    I sold RX 5700XT, get rid of black screen and no signal driver error, NVIDIA is always better for stability, i'll never use AMD card once more.