AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 19.8.1 driver download

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mtrai, Aug 12, 2019.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I had to turn display scaling off when I had the Fury or it'd be limited to 2880x1620 I think it was below 3840x2160 but VSR has been a bit unstable so I've kept it off and some software likes to just take the highest supported reported resolution instead of the native desktop but yeah it shouldn't just be missing.

Monitor driver shouldn't be that big of a deal either as it's from the reported EDID information in the firmware plus whatever protocol is used in the display though settings in the monitor such as scaling mode or others could be a thing I know newer ones have a lot more fun stuff compared to older or in my case older and more mid or low end really. (Worth the price but nothing special, it's also 8+2 bit or dithered for 10-bit although the display refresh the year after added a native 10-bit panel in.)

Driver file is just a INF with a precalibrated generic ICC profile so it's completely redundant and you can do much better, INF is just a text string so it reads Dell Display instead of Generic Plug and Play but it has no other functionality and the installer just adds the INF and sets the ICC which a proper calibration would be better and then tweaking the monitor settings.

Display Port which is what I'm using is also the same as always in terms of cabling, this is a very old cable but since it hasn't changed it does 1.0 to 1.4 just the same (1.2 here) though with HDMI I do believe you actually need a proper cable and there are lower priced budget variants of both and the longer ones might not carry the signal fully though I am very unfamiliar on this subject. (Had to look up the whole DP1.x certified stuff and yeah it's a thing and certification has meaning but the hardware in the cable isn't changing and the packets are just sent without issue at least so far.)

EDIT: Actually perhaps some of the newer monitors even use .sys files too but that would be a bit above my knowledge level if the OS needs specific driver files for correct display functionality now.

EDID and the data packets from the cable sent back and forth should be it plus functionality like adaptive sync whether AMD or NVIDIA and then possibly some of the extra sometimes conflicting display functions such as ultra low motion blur and what else.
    (Response time overclocking I assume is still a thing but it shouldn't mess with the way it reports refresh rate or resolution support and if it worked in a earlier driver and that's the only thing that changed then yeah.)

EDIT: Wonder if some of the newly added display settings got added or set and this is interfering but that's just a guess really.

Seems more for TV's anyway and it shouldn't affect existing settings but something was changed here and these are new so who knows what the code here could have been changed around like. Perhaps it's something like that.
    (AMD's driver team will have to be the ones to fix that up again though, maybe the Vanguard testers could report it if anyone on their group can replicate it reliably or AMD's driver team directly of course.)

And again it probably worked just fine before so it's not like the display functionality just broke and it's something in the driver most likely although the device manager will have some "grayed out" models listed since it restarts/resets on driver install. :)
    (Show hidden and it might be a fairly long list but this shouldn't affect anything but they can be deleted just don't actually delete anything else or the drivers for the actual GPU component and such not that it's very likely but just saying before anyone pokes around the device manager which can be problematic without knowing what's what.)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is no such thing as monitor drivers, they all use microsofts monitor.sys.

You can override some display modes with registry entries included in an inf, and sometimes it copies an included ICC table, but it otherwise just changes the name of the device in device manager while not actually changing the behavior of the device.

the monitor.sys and related microsoft display/monitor api's are all that is used to identify the display and its capabilities so long as drivers, display and cable are all working properly.

they don't.

could be anything interfering with the driver, display fusion, displaylink, benq display mate, etc.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  3. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Thought so, using a driver file seems like it would be really complicating matters compared to letting the display driver and the OS just get the info via the hardware itself through what it reports.

Good to have it confirmed even if it seemed unlikely and the display driver component is already a complicated enough matter well something changed and with luck the driver engineers can replicate it in house and fix it for 19.8.2 or what the next driver will be. :)

EDIT: And the ever present mess that is third party software as well, yeah I guess that's also a thing.
    (Well mess and mess but compatibility wise.)

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    amd probably broke DDC/CI.

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I did and even change dp ports. Same results

More then likely...

I called Gigabyte and inquired about that. They told me that don't supply drivers for their monitor. They say it's not needed.
    It's suppose to go something like this.
    Monitor is recognized by AMD and AMD tells windows what's being used. Or thereabouts. I don't remember exact details. It's been a while.

@JonasBeckman
    You are right about it still working correctly. I don't notice any washed out colors or anything like.
    It's very likely Pixel Format is correctly selected but simply not made available in Radeon Settings. However, VSR is borked because I can change resolution direction from win10.

From my understanding I should have to enable VSR 1st. Then higher resolution are made available in win10. For whatever reason I can still select higher resolution even though VSR is not available. So yeah. RTG needs to fix that.

https://********/4WS4qDK/pixelformat.jpg

https://********/hRQRtmR/Capture3.jpg

Edit:
    Added both images just in case AMD rep comes into thread.

Edit 2:
    Yes,1620p and 2160p both work. However, I needed to buy a VESA Cert. Display port cable. I think I got Club 3d if I recall correctly.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  6. ausgrey

ausgrey New Member

GPU:
    RX 5700XT
    I had to go back to the previous version of the drivers because i was getting random bsod errors even with a clean install

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Video playback on the 5700 with hardware acceleration at least in browsers is a bit hit & miss at least, probably something for a eventual 19.8.2 soon if it's widespread enough or a thing that just happens on all of these cards due to changes in this driver.

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I'm curious to know if anyone from AMD's RTG ventures to these driver threads to read out this stuff from time to time?

9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    They have people who do that.

We have 1 in guru3d for sure, i cant say his name.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    ;)

Because it's YOU bro :p :D

Romulus_ut3 and LocoDiceGR like this.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    There was a community representative from AMD active for a while though I assume it's better to just read info and problem reports and such that pops up and being active generally ends in getting bombarded about questions and requests ha ha.
    Lots of NDA's and such involved too including the users part of the "Vanguard" sort of beta driver program and testing of features and functionality and bug reporting though a few of these users are active but also have a lot of clauses for what they can report about and what's still under wraps.

Guessing it's the official AMD forums even if these are primarily users helping users, reddit and various forums more affiliated or pro AMD primarily though then also Twitter, Youtube or other video sites and maybe other social media as well even if they aren't always actively engaged in discussion directly. Github and development on open source and Linux could also see some activity but more development focused.

Bug submissions would also be read even if they are not responded to though the Vanguard program must be quite beneficial having direct communication for extra info and files like crash dumps and what not helping with tracking the issue for the driver developers to replicate and resolve depending on what is currently prioritized which I would imagine is still going to be Navi and immediate bug fixes and reliability and robustness for a while though enhancements and additions should still cover the entire GCN range of still supported hardware to some degree.
    (Vega lost a couple of features and I don't expect the transition to Adrenaline 2019 to be improved much further with stuff like the fan curve and overclock stability although there's been some tweaking in earlier drivers also like 19.6.1 I think it was.)

Polaris is in a weird position too with some issues remaining and having appeared in more recent drivers and then there's probably a mix of different things for the 7000 series up to the 300 series which I have no idea what the status is on things here.

Though Polaris is still going strong and price drops have made it a very popular choice which still holds up well for anyone not wanting to spend 400 - 500 Euro or US Dollar for a Navi 5700 currently so hopefully AMD can resolve these once things calm down with Navi.
    (Although with the incoming 5600 and what might be the 5800 in Navi14 and Navi12 it could also see more resources for anything that needs to be worked on for these after they have launched.)

EDIT: First few drivers tend to sort out any bigger issues and then half a year to a year and it should be pretty good from then until or unless AMD changes things around particularly for the current schedule with the yearly December feature drivers.

12. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    @JonasBeckman The Vanguard program, they have recruit people, for feedback on drivers, they have discord, but its private of course, Not for everybody.

Recently they were looking for people with the new Navi GPU's!

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah they had a openly accessible sign-up I think it was and then afterwards a few new invites occasionally (Seeking people using new hardware like Navi here.), a few of the Vanguard users are also active on the AMD Reddit although come to think of it that might be mostly the Vanguard project lead.
    It does appear to be producing good results though from what I have been reading but then limited controlled tests usually work very well compared to if they were to have a branch for open beta drivers.

Hopefully the GPU and CPU division both doing well can also see a increase in resources and maybe expanding the team size and even better software but that sort of thing takes time but it will be interesting to see how this goes although GPU wise NVIDIA is going to be tough to compete with and on the server market there's a strong presence of CUDA too.

Mid-range consumer market and onboard could be a good pick as well and from there to high-end and enthusiast, think that's what Navi is doing but it kinda worked really well so the existing high-end Vega and enthusiast VII or how to class these both got kinda displaced although still holding up but Navi is faster and trading places with the VII while costing significantly less so that's a thing although the VII also doubles for compute work and productivity whereas Navi is mainly gaming focused.

EDIT: Even the Vega 64 sees a upwards of what would it be around 15% or so gain going to a 5700 and a bit more for Vega 56 and for the VII it's 3 - 5% faster or slower though it looks like it's mainly the Navi taking the lead now.

Not bad results at all even if it kinda makes Vega and VII sorta hard to sell. :)
    (Polaris 500 series at a lower price point though still good is covering that segment still.)

Hmm well VII might be a pick for a mix of various productivity and work tasks however even if it does have a price premium over the other consumer cards.
    (While stocks last at least.)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Looks like 75Hz doesn't work well with Navi 10 (Well the 5700 and 5700 XT) currently in the drivers from info in this post.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/crg2xl/rx_5700xt_refresh_rate_bugs_continued_from/

Good to know about, seems higher works though at least better than 75Hz does currently.

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Note:
    Radeon VII should have LC (like my Vega XTX) then it will be AWESOME even after Navi release.
    That Weak 3xFan is no go for Vega VII.
    Every enthusiast make it LC -> and they still have Best of the best (0.1% Lows in mind).
    Source: overclock.net

D1stRU3T0R likes this.

16. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800 XT
    My Radeon VII is underwater and can push 2200 Mhz @ 1.275v (actual clocks around 2120-2150ish). I love this thing. These 19.8.1 drivers don't play well with Radeon VII for me however.

Undying and OnnA like this.
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've had no issues with Youtube video playback in Chrome. What sites and what browser(s) are you using?

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Oh I'm still on a Vega56 so I can't look into it more than the reports I'm finding unfortunately though multiple confirmations from Windows and Linux give a pretty good indication of something being off, Firefox is mentioned a lot which isn't surprising with the recent Webrender and then the 5700 has AMD's VCN instead of VCE with updates and support for VP9 and higher resolution video playback so chances are it's something here breaking whereas Vega has a hybrid mode of software and hardware support since VCE itself lacks the hardware found in newer processors where VCN first debuted and then Navi with the 5700 and it's XT variant. :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cqfdm8/psa_adrenaline_1981_has_bsod_for_many_5700xt_users/

Trying to get a clear overview of existing issues and current problems and posting what I find which well the 95 Hz and elevated clocks were touched upon already and also happens on other AMD GPU hardware and is intended, breakage at 75 Hz is a issue however and it seems above 90Hz can hit some other problems too.

Video playback and hardware acceleration through HTML5 and formats particularly the more demanding VP9 has been hit and miss for some time for both AMD and NVIDIA although Firefox seem to pop up more frequently than Chrome so far though the info I'm reading could just be having more users on Firefox too.
    AVC1 is also a opt in but not everything is currently supported and it has other limitations and support I don't know if it's even hardware supported at all though Linux GPU commits did recently show VCN 2.0 coming in a new lineup of integrated GPU's so maybe that will have support for this format?
    (E = Engine and N = Next with Next replacing Engine after Vega.)

Haven't used browser HW acceleration in a long time but I've had browser black screens and crashes including driver crashes with hardware acceleration enabled and I prefer to keep it off for ensuring stability but never a all out blue-screen which I'd rate as a serious problem and would maybe be a strong indication of 19.8.2 coming out soon and fixing this as BSOD issues should be given a higher priority but I do not have insight into these things so we'll see although if it can be easily replicated it can also be done by AMD's driver team and that should expedite fixing it in a sooner driver release rather than a later one weeks or even months from now.

That said both AMD and NVIDIA have long running listed and also no longer listed known issues in their drivers and older issues sometimes resurface again like the VRAM clock speed issue on Polaris popping up once again for example.
    (I only have a very brief insight into NVIDIA's drivers though as I follow the release notes but don't keep too much track on it beyond that.)

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This is quite probable cause. My Dell software can't recognize screen when connected via DP, but it can recognize it when connected via HDMI.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    :(