AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 19.12.2 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2019.

1. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX460
    wow just wow at least in the graphical user interface did not have time yet to learn and understand news resources so I made some tests with games that I like so without any problem requires more time but thanks AMD ...:)

2. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Can confirm, FRTC - Frame Rate Target Control appears to be missing in the GUI.

Appears you can still set FRTC in registry though. My guess is AMD are deprecating FRTC and relying on chill instead? FRTC is clunky anyway

3. sabrewulf...

sabrewulf... Member

GPU:
    Asus DK Top HD4870 512MB
    Its gone, I check everywhere, multiple times. I use it to keep from going over monitors max Freesync range, otherwise the damn tearing kicks in.

While that works, its not the same as just a FPS cap, also can cause stuttering.

Hope they just missed that one and add back with the next update, very valuable feature to me, also keeps the gpu from running so hot and making the choke / coil noise with excessive fps on less demanding games.

BTW, been lurking around here for yrs and just remembered my login info... DIY AIO water cooled Vega 64 here, does pretty good, though not near as good as you prized card OnnA. What a beast you have!

4. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    ?

5. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    FRTC is done GPU side so frames are dropped and can end up with out of order frames leading to judder/stutter. RTSS or chill are the better options anyway.

Hmm, no more power efficiency toggle for my Fury in these new drivers (not that I ever enabled it).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Similar performance to other Fast drivers (12.1 & 11.3), it's Fast but not the fastest :p
    The Bards Tale IV = Now it renders fine.
    IQ is a little better in UE3/4 Games, now runs faster in Full screen than Borderless.
    Overall great release, GJ ATI/AMD

FRT is gone, but we can edit it by Registry or in older CCC (AMD-Catalyst-15.11.1Beta-Nov14) or RTSS.
    "KMD_FRTEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "KMD_MaxFrameRateRequested"=dword:00000046
    So NP on my side, can togle it in CCC.
    Still no add. Gamma options, so i need to use CCC Catalyst-15.11.1.

GPU is doing it's job more efficient, less heat is generated for Vega LC (at last in games im testing now UE3/4).
    Better DX12/VLK Performance & DX11 MT performing a notch better that 12.1

Game Options -> 2 clicks
    Adv. Power for Vega -> 2 clicks
    New UI is better & faster than the last one :D

7. shakyor

shakyor Active Member

GPU:
    380x
    Which new features can i use with my 380x?
    I guess none...?

8. GabrielZ07

GabrielZ07 New Member

GPU:
    HD7950 3GB
    I have a RX480 and I have the Streaming tab missing completely, anyone with the same issue and a workaround?

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    What's the deal with the fan on default settings? It's set way to low. I had to manually increase it. I haven't had to do that since this driver update.

10. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    Test it with Read Dead 2 and some benchmarks. Very good job AMD. Really impressed of how awesome it looks.

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RIS and integer scaling should work on all GCN GPUs

12. zeusola

zeusola Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Can't use Chill and Boost at the same time :/, the setting for Chill are sliders, which are very finicky. The Boost option doesn't have many setting, 50%, 66.6%, 83.3%. On a 4k screen everything is too little ( I use larger text and icon sizes in windows).

No Integer Scaling on Windows 7

13. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega64 Nit
    Some things Ive noticed on my system after 2 hours of testing (Vega 64-Nitro , 3800x, 16GB ram, windows 10 v1909):

The negative:
    - the installer don't have the custom install option anymore, or I cant find the option (I like choose what to install)
    - FRTC is gone - I really hope is just a bug; it was very useful to me not having to relay on third party tools or go in to the registry,
    - Radeon Overlay is randomly disappearing after some time especially when Performance Metrics Overlay is enabled; when it disappear I cant use the mouse so I have to hit alt+r again to turn it on then alt+r to turn it off to make the mouse is functional again,
    - I cant, or I don't know how, to customize Performance Metrics Overlay - to remove or add some of the metrics,
    - RIS is absent from DX12 or Vulkan games settings, it appears only in DX11 games or in global mode
    - games settings STILL resets after restarting the system,

The positive:
    - the installation is very fast,
    - the application is very responsive, don't fell laggy anymore,
    - the driver performance is very good (I observed lower power usage and consequently higher frequencies),
    - Radeon Overlay is very useful for tuning the overclock when you are in game without having to alt+tab,
    - Performance Metrics Overlay seems to FINALLY report correct Vram usage, also the FPS metric don't randomly disappear anymore when alt+tab,
    - the memory doesn't seems to get suck on max frequency in desktop usage.

It needs more testing off course but overall is a god and ambitious release with impressive set of features. I just hope that they will fix the bugs faster that the bugs that trails in the last Adrenalin 2019 Edition.

Embra and OnnA like this.
  14. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    Turning off the hotkeys does not actually turn 'em off. Functions go on and off when I game normally.

(and yeah, installation was very fast)

15. zeusola

zeusola Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    ??? I could install a 60+ GB game in the time it takes to install these drivers, the install time is very long for me, at one point it just sits there twiddling its thumbs (wondered if it had crashed), could be because I have about 10TB of games :/

16. Voxoid

Voxoid New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Armor 8GB
    With a clean install of these drivers I can no longer open RDR2. Game works in the background, and the screen will update momentarily with an Alt+Tab but then pauses again.
    I have a feeling it has something to do with the new overlay.

17. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Tried the usual? The usual - DDU in Safe Mode --> Restart/Install

Might be useful to update system info.

18. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I'm aware of how it worked - I used it. It was a valid option. With Chill, watching a DOTA 2 match results in 5fps(!!!) after ~2 minutes of simply watching it - jumps back up if the mouse is moved. No, it was not doing this with FRTC.

Your reasoning is faulty.

19. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Well, if you have min fps set really low in chill of course it's going to be bad and chill sometimes is buggy in other games where mouse/keyboard aren't the main controllers used (Elite Dangerous I use a HOTAS and chill never "wakes up") so in those instances, minimum fps should be set equally to max fps you'd want capped.

The point about FRTC however still stands, it's a very harsh way of capping FPS which unlike other solutions such as RTSS which caps FPS via CPU side, it prevents possible stuttering that FRTC can introduce. Most of the time it's not really a problem but some games are more sensitive to others.

20. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Are you unaware of the lower limit of Chill? It is 30. That is far above 5. I set it to 142 - Global and game specific. DOTA 2 is very much a KB&M game. Actually, that's besides the point - you shouldn't have to touch anything to enjoy a stream.

My point stands.

Yours is extremely shaky at best.