AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.12.2 (6800XT and 6900XT ONLY)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LocoDiceGR, Dec 18, 2020.

1. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    I just wish AMD could code a proper OpenGL driver for Windows. If I had the money I would jump to Nvidia because of that (middle end GPUs are costing two kidneys in my country right now). And to have CUDA for 3D rendering, since AMD has no equivalent.

2. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Which AMD GPU do you have? You have the Geforce 8800 GS listed...
    Which OpenGL game is your AMD(?) card having issues with?
    Which 3D rendering program do you use?

PrEzi likes this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    AMD supports OpenCL, DirectCompute, and DirectML. If your pro apps don't support any of these, then bitch at the devs for being lazy ass NVIDIA shills for only supporting their proprietary interface. OpenCL/DIrectCompute would work on both hardwares.

As for OpenGL performance, use the Enterprise drivers if they'll install. The performance is intentionally nerfed on Gamer drivers so that you can't use the cheaper cards for pro work. Mind you the Linux Radeon drivers have fast OpenGL support. Go figure.

somemadcaaant and PrEzi like this.
  4. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Plus you always have ProRender which supports virtually everything AND runs on AMD cards perfectly :cool:
    https://www.amd.com/de/technologies/radeon-prorender

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they each do something the other doesn't, but cuda is definitely the way to go on nvidia hardware, since opencl 1.2 is just wrapped to cuda anyway.

AMD haven't been pushing opencl for a while though, its all SyCL now.

Ocelot currently allows CUDA programs to be executed on NVIDIA GPUs, AMD GPUs, and x86-CPUs at full speed without recompilation.

6. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    Pro Render crashes all the time in Blender, for me. And if it doesn't crash, you can't call the image a render in my case, since it's just some spiraling with bits of the meshes and the light.

7. DannyD

DannyD Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    You got that backwards right?
    The warriors would rather accept bugs rather than throw their hardware away correct?

somemadcaaant likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    https://developer.blender.org/T82856

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8G
    Can anyone else confirm this being the case currently?

With non-Pro GPUs being able to install either Adrenaline or Enterprise drivers, it seems odd to be nerfing OpenGL perf just on the Adrenaline drivers nowadays.

OnnA likes this.
  10. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Member Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    It is the case when hardware gets older, and because it is not latest hardware, it is faulty hardware for some people. Even that obviously raises the question, if AMD is capable of exposing bad engineering thru drivers later on, why would I buy new card as well?
    Then again, it's not like I am interested in any AMD cards anyway, not even with 50% better price/perf, but reason for it is not because of bad hardware at all.

11. DannyD

DannyD Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    Ah i get it now, nice one.:)

12. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    Adrenaline and Enterprise works pretty much the same with OpenGL - terribly. OGL on AMD hardware with open source drivers in Linux works great tho, far better than the Windows drivers. As good, if not better than Nvidia. Too bad Linux is not an option for me.

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    @SpajdrEX , amigo since you still on the vanguard AMD group can you please ask AMD driver team why there is such a very hard lock on the gpu clocks and memory clocks + such a low power limit and if they can remove them completely or give us the option to select higher power limit + higher clocks on cpu core and memory , thank you.

I feel this cards 6xxx can do so much more clocks but AMD has decided to gimp this cards with such limits :( , for example everyone doing competitive benchmarks at hwbot are so disappointed :/ as even running this cards on liquid nitrogen the 6900xt cannot get much more than ~2800Mhz on gpu core and only 2150Mhz on the memory due to the power limit and voltages restrictions impose very hard by the driver , even mpt cannot over ride the driver settings as it is always in conflict with the driver and lock the video card to 500/500Mhz and need to re-install driver to get it back to normal. We would like to see this cards open up as it will be beneficial for AMD as the upcoming rtx 3080Ti will be a direct competition for the 6900xt and so on with 6800xt and 6800.

The driver is in control of everything on this cards , it will act upon itself despite what you input is :(

14. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    @chispy I'm afraid they won't give any reply you would like (they don't know).
    We need to wait for flash tool with the support for navi2x cards and for the bios with unlocked power limit.

chispy and INSTG8R like this.
  15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Thanks for the reply , hopefully something will come up soon , i have faith :)

SpajdrEX likes this.

16. Carlos Luis

Carlos Luis New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 6900 XT
    Hi everyone, I have a quick question regarding to this driver version (Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.12.2), in the release notes says "Known Issues", What does that mean? It is the issues that has been solved with the version 20.12.2? or even if you update to the version 20.12.2 you will still have those issues?

I have updated to this driver version and I am still facing and issue with my monitor Samsung™ Odyssey G9 C49G95T which does not run at 5120x1440@240Hz and the known issues mention 2 points about that, that is why I want to know if I this is still an issue or I am the only one that having the version 20.12.2 still have the issue.

With my previous GPU Sapphire RX 5700 XT was working fine at 5120x1440@240Hz even with the version 20.12.1.

I will appreciate if someone of you can answer.

Thanks.

____
    GPU: Gibabyte AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
    CPU: Ryzen 7 3700XT

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Fixed is what they've resolved there's not much for 20.12.2 though it's the same as 20.12.1 with a newer Radeon Settings component and the RGB LED Coolermaster compatibility for the 6800XT and 6900XT

Known is the current aware of but as of yet unfixed issues on top of a few others that aren't listed yet. :)
    Steam VR I think is one of these although that goes for Ampere too, Enhanced Sync as a listed but long standing issue too so at worst it can take a while for these to be entirely resolved.

EDIT: Think I got that detail right on the components.

27.20.14501.28009 - 20.12.1
    27.20.14501.33001 - 20.12.2 for the drivers.

20.45.01.28 - 20.12.1
    20.45.01.33 - 20.12.2 for the settings software.

Changes to the RadeonLED installer but no version bump. (Remains at 1.0.1)

EDIT: Can also compare on the release notes for 20.12.1 or earlier for the fixed issues.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-12-2-rgb

Nothing there for fixed issues, primarily it's RGB LED support and Coolermaster having the software for configuring this effect I think is how that's intended to work?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-12-1

Fixed issues entries would be this.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    @SpajdrEX finally in the overclocking scene they are maxing out the 6900xt clocks at 3000/2150Mhz using evc2 for voltage control and power limits :D , https://hwbot.org/submission/4644362_ogs_3dmark___fire_strike_ultra_radeon_rx_6900_xt_17640_marks

, amazing how this cards get to 3000Mhz once power limit is remove and some voltage added to it. Now like you said we need to wait for amdvb bios flashing tool in order to bypass the 3000/2150 artificial limited clocks if possible , like i said i know this cards can do much more than 3000/2150Mhz. Exciting times ahead,

[​IMG]

Skinner, mikeysg, Embra and 7 others like this.
  19. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Arghh.... I am all itching for any new drivers... maybe with some nice and sexy features for us ? :rolleyes:;):D

A2Razor likes this.
  20. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Indeed, waiting a month without a new driver is pure-torture... I'd prefer a driver shower, even if it's just single bugs being patched up per release.

-- New drivers don't force us to use the latest release, we can pick and choose to install those with the fixes we need.